Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo 4S – One of the best cars ever...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo 4S – One of the best cars ever...

Old 02-14-2019, 05:17 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I love car reviews like this. Dude is having a ball.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:43 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I do think it is one of the best cars available today but it’s not a wagon. It’s a shooting brake.

I also have an E63S Estate and the comparisons of the Panamera Sport Turismo to the E63S are misplaced. These are very different cars. The E63S is pretty raw and brutal by comparison while the Panamera is much more refined, which is fitting for a car that can run $90k more than the E63S. I am just getting used to my Panamera Turbo S E-hybrid Sport Turismo but I can tell you that each car has strengths that make them stand alone from the other. If i was looking for a car to replicate what I have with my AMG, I would be disappointed but the inverse is also true in that getting into my E63S feels like I am now stepping down a class.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:28 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

It really is a wagon. There are lots of different designs to wagons.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:23 AM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by cometguy
It really is a wagon. There are lots of different designs to wagons.
No. A coupe in wagon form has a long tradition of being called a shooting brake. The Panamera ST, Jaguar F-type shooting brake, CLS shooting brake, and Ferrari FF and Lusso are shooting brakes. The E-class Estate is a wagon, as is the BMW and Audi equivalents. The Cadillac CTS wagon, when it was available, was not a shooting brake.

Porsche calls the Panamera ST a shooting brake, I think we should as well.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/hist...ger-13483.html

Old 02-17-2019, 03:44 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnolan

No. A coupe in wagon form has a long tradition of being called a shooting brake. The Panamera ST, Jaguar F-type shooting brake, CLS shooting brake, and Ferrari FF and Lusso are shooting brakes. The E-class Estate is a wagon, as is the BMW and Audi equivalents. The Cadillac CTS wagon, when it was available, was not a shooting brake.

Porsche calls the Panamera ST a shooting brake, I think we should as well.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/hist...ger-13483.html

Wellllll.....I think what this really gets to is the question of whether or not a coupe can be a 4-door vehicle. If one believes "yes" then sure, the ST is a shooting brake. If one believes "no" - and there are many in this camp, despite what several mfrs call their slope-roofed 4-door vehicles - then the ST is a wagon.

I don't especially care about the terminology either way, I'm just really excited to receive my ST
Old 02-17-2019, 04:35 PM
jnolan
Pro

The “can a 4 door be a coupe” horse left the barn as soon as other manufacturers started copying Mercedes’ CLS. At any rate, it’s pretty hard to not call the Panamera ST a shooting brake when Porsche itself calls the car a shooting brake. We can debate the intricacies of the terminology but I think it is safe to say that Porsche has the final say. They have spoken.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:15 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

I personally tell everyone i own a wagon, not a shooting brake, that just sounds...well not cool.
My sense is that a shooting brake is a 2 door estate/wagon. If it has 4 doors, it's a wagon more than anything else although the terms overlap greatly.
I think you can use wagon or sb interchangeably these days pretty safely, just pick what you like and run with it.
shooting brake
Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

The “can a 4 door be a coupe” horse left the barn as soon as other manufacturers started copying Mercedes’ CLS. At any rate, it’s pretty hard to not call the Panamera ST a shooting brake when Porsche itself calls the car a shooting brake. We can debate the intricacies of the terminology but I think it is safe to say that Porsche has the final say. They have spoken.
Meh. I'm not sure I'm prepared to defer "the way things should be" to a company that charges 4 figures for options like adaptive cruise control that come standard on $30k Hondas. As for other mfrs copying the CLS, that doesn't make those cars 'coupes' - for those who feel a coupe must have 2 doors - any more than Porsche saying the ST is a shooting brake makes it a shooting brake, IMO.

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
I personally tell everyone i own a wagon, not a shooting brake, that just sounds...well not cool.
My sense is that a shooting brake is a 2 door estate/wagon. If it has 4 doors, it's a wagon more than anything else although the terms overlap greatly.
I think you can use wagon or sb interchangeably these days pretty safely, just pick what you like and run with it.
shooting brake
Agree.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just to be sure, the Jag you're talking about doesn't exist other than people wet dreaming on the internets. The XF Sportbrake DOES exist, but despite what the official model name implies, having seen it up close, I'd call it a wagon.

As far as the argument on this thread goes, I think the ST leans a bit more toward shooting brake side simply because the cargo room behind the back seat is so small compared to the traditional wagon and just a hair bigger than the traditional bodied Panny. Having said that, I agree that saying you got a Porsche wagon is way cooler. Saying you got a shooting brake sounds kinda pretentions to me, lol. Hence...

Old 02-19-2019, 04:20 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

What makes the ST so special is that there is no car in this class that offers a wagon/shooting brake. No one should compare the Panamera with a 5 series, A6 or a E-Class. It is more on par with a S-Class, 7 Series, A8 and none of them offer such a body. so call it what you want, the car is pretty unique as we speak - unique with respect to body and performance, the latter not just limited to straight line speed but handling (find me another 2+ tonne car that handles with this much ease as the Panamera). Obviously it comes with a hefty price but then again what does not today :-)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:37 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On UK's Top Gear programme at the weekend they had an ST Turbo v a Ferrari estate car ( station wagon).

The Panamera was brilliant, ( spoilt a bit by the **** driving it trying to be funny), the Ferrari was great obviously as it was a V12 version and GBP300k , but none the less, the Panamera really proved its the best estate/station wagon.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:52 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by K777
On UK's Top Gear programme at the weekend they had an ST Turbo v a Ferrari estate car ( station wagon).

The Panamera was brilliant, ( spoilt a bit by the **** driving it trying to be funny), the Ferrari was great obviously as it was a V12 version and GBP300k , but none the less, the Panamera really proved its the best estate/station wagon.
2 door vs 4 door.... and i love to complain how small the boot is on the panamera but have you seen teh boot of the Ferrari? a Smart has more space :-)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:50 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
2 door vs 4 door.... and i love to complain how small the boot is on the panamera but have you seen teh boot of the Ferrari? a Smart has more space :-)
Yeah its nuts, but "nice leather"
Old 02-19-2019, 09:32 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

The ST truly is in a class by itself in many ways.

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo 4S – One of the best cars ever...