Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Joining the club!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:32 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxdr1965
My daughters Honda clarity has standard acc. It’s a 20k Honda. Ridiculous on a $100k plus car it’s an option. Germans nickel and dime you to death. That being said I had a 2017 Nsx and it was not even an option available. Go figure
I guess the engineers at Honda figure you're just going pass anyone rather than follow at a constant distance

Originally Posted by Outlaw
ACC suks on all cars in Atlanta. Traffic jumps in front of you and you end up going nowhere slow.
Certainly in my departed Volvo the ACC was very annoying in that regard. Here in the NYC area we get the same phenomenon. When someone cut the gap in front of you, the car would brake too hard, too quickly - certainly much harder than I would had I been in control - and then re-accelerated too slowly because it was getting up to speed while also trying to maintain the distance in front of me. Which in turn would frustrate those behind me, who would then try to pass me! Hopefully the function in the Porsche somehow works better than this and behaves more like a human driver. I wound up only using it in light traffic in the Volvo because of this.

Originally Posted by cometguy
I find that, if you play with the Porsche ACC and get to understand how it works, it can work extremely well in heavy traffic and take away lots of stress and potential fatigue.
I definitely look forward to exploring this function in the PTT ST. As I say above, hopefully it's a smarter real-world function than it was in my Volvo.

Originally Posted by DogWood
it can get a bit interesting around roundabouts though

nothing like your car suddenly accelerating towards something to get your attention
Heh. I wonder if Innodrive would help mitigate this somewhat...?
Old 03-03-2019, 05:05 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
I definitely look forward to exploring this function in the PTT ST. As I say above, hopefully it's a smarter real-world function than it was in my Volvo.
Let me know what you think about your ACC in your ST, in comparison to your V90 CC. I used mine about 98% of the time on a 7600-mile trip to Wyoming and back last summer, and it really made me feel much more refreshed at the end of each day of long driving. I had some chances to use it in big interstate-highway traffic jams caused by accidents, where the speed would range from 0 to 5 to 25 to 40 and back, over and over, for as long as an hour -- and it worked wonderfully. It's nice that the Porsche ACC will allow you to go down to zero and then start up again automatically; I think if it sits for some seconds (don't recall how long), it will temporarily dis-engage, so that you have to just tap the accelerator gently to get it going again.
You have five distance settings, which seem roughly like seconds (i.e., 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you) -- though I'm not sure if that's exactly true. When driving at high speeds, I keep the distance at maximum value (so, like 5 seconds behind the vehicle in front); I have learned to toggle that distance rapidly and often when traffic gets more tight and dicey, and in the case of stop-and-go-traffic, the shortest distance seems to work quite well for me.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:33 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Let me know what you think about your ACC in your ST, in comparison to your V90 CC. I used mine about 98% of the time on a 7600-mile trip to Wyoming and back last summer, and it really made me feel much more refreshed at the end of each day of long driving. I had some chances to use it in big interstate-highway traffic jams caused by accidents, where the speed would range from 0 to 5 to 25 to 40 and back, over and over, for as long as an hour -- and it worked wonderfully. It's nice that the Porsche ACC will allow you to go down to zero and then start up again automatically; I think if it sits for some seconds (don't recall how long), it will temporarily dis-engage, so that you have to just tap the accelerator gently to get it going again.
You have five distance settings, which seem roughly like seconds (i.e., 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you) -- though I'm not sure if that's exactly true. When driving at high speeds, I keep the distance at maximum value (so, like 5 seconds behind the vehicle in front); I have learned to toggle that distance rapidly and often when traffic gets more tight and dicey, and in the case of stop-and-go-traffic, the shortest distance seems to work quite well for me.
As soon as we dig out of the 10+" of snow we got I'll give it a go! In the Volvo I couldn't use it at all in heavy traffic, or anything approaching stop and go. It was way too slow to respond regardless of the distance settings I tried. Definitely looking forward to seeing if the Porsche's works better...
Old 03-04-2019, 04:07 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
As soon as we dig out of the 10+" of snow we got I'll give it a go! In the Volvo I couldn't use it at all in heavy traffic, or anything approaching stop and go. It was way too slow to respond regardless of the distance settings I tried. Definitely looking forward to seeing if the Porsche's works better...
oh, and you can also just override the ACC spur-of-the-moment by stepping on the accelerator; it pauses the ACC, and you can do "resume" then when you want to go back to ACC... So the ACC is really excellent in my Sport Turismo. You just have to get used to it, which will happen on a long drive or multiple short drives. Those who say that ACC doesn't work well in Porsches hasn't taken the time to get to know it, I think. (The one big complaint being that the ACC controls are on that lower stalk, when they should be on the steering wheel. Porsche, I hope you're listening!)

Quick Reply: Joining the club!