Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

“Audible” Lane Change Assist Warning?

Old 02-12-2019, 12:01 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default “Audible” Lane Change Assist Warning?

Is there not an option for a “audible” warning associated with Lane Change Assist on the 2018 Panamera? For example, and audible warning similar to that associated with the parking sensor warnings.

Looking at the 2017-2018 Panamera online manual, page 137 through 141 discusses Lane Change Assist (LCA) but there is no mention of an audible warning, nor can I find such an option in the PCM settings. Seems like something that would be useful to some drivers (not all) at least warranting the driver the option of turning the audible warning off or on in the settings if desired.

I understand the two indicator light warning levels in the mirror of a steady light on and a flashing bright light and that the lighting level can be set to low, medium and high. But there have been a couple of instances during the day where even with the light level on high and flashing it was difficult to notice and an audible warning would have been useful?

Hoping someone will say their LCA gives an audible warning but expecting that not to be the case.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:57 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Indeed no audible warning for LCA, but there is for LKA.
BTW I'd go mad if I hear an audible warning each time a car passes. I find the number of sounds already way to much in our daily lives

Old 02-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by pietpara
BTW I'd go mad if I hear an audible warning each time a car passes.
I would go crazy to if it beeped for each passing car. But to be clearer, I was thinking of my experience with my Maserati Ghibli where it would ONLY beep if you started going over into the next lane into the car. And, that audible warning could be turned off and only the light in the mirror would illuminate. My wife’s Acura MDX also beep if you go into the other car with LCA and LKA.

just would be a nice option to activate if one chose and deactivate if one chose.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by pietpara
Indeed no audible warning for LCA, but there is for LKA.
BTW I'd go mad if I hear an audible warning each time a car passes. I find the number of sounds already way to much in our daily lives
Originally Posted by Lawtyger

I would go crazy to if it beeped for each passing car. But to be clearer, I was thinking of my experience with my Maserati Ghibli where it would ONLY beep if you started going over into the next lane into the car. And, that audible warning could be turned off and only the light in the mirror would illuminate. My wife’s Acura MDX also beep if you go into the other car with LCA and LKA.

just would be a nice option to activate if one chose and deactivate if one chose.
i could be wrong as I don’t yet have my car but I think that *is* how LKA works - an audible alert if you’re moving into another lane that’s already occupied. Maybe someone can confirm.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by pokingaround

i could be wrong as I don’t yet have my car but I think that *is* how LKA works - an audible alert if you’re moving into another lane that’s already occupied. Maybe someone can confirm.
You may be correct as to how LKA works, but as the original poster I was referring to Lane Change Assist. My 4S does not have LKA as an option. Just replying to hopefully clear up any further confusion.

The answer to the question I posed is - there is NO audible warning associated with Lane Change Assist.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:20 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but as a new 2021 Macan GTS owner, I was caught out last week by the lack of audible warning. My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the equivalent of Lane Change Assist, and it provides an audible warning (in addition to a visual on the mirror) if you have your turn signal on. So it provides better information if you signal before attempting a lane change, which is the smart practice anyway (and the law in our state).

In my case, I had looked, signaled, and fortunately got loudly beeped at by a driver that had apparently slid into my blind spot from an adjacent lane at just that moment. So no incident, but my wife and I both reacted immediately "I didn't hear a warning tone!".

On my Porsche "new owner survey", I expressed my disappointment that there is no audible alert. They could fix this with a software update easily, and they should.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:28 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by schnell
I know this is a somewhat old thread, but as a new 2021 Macan GTS owner, I was caught out last week by the lack of audible warning. My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the equivalent of Lane Change Assist, and it provides an audible warning (in addition to a visual on the mirror) if you have your turn signal on. So it provides better information if you signal before attempting a lane change, which is the smart practice anyway (and the law in our state).

In my case, I had looked, signaled, and fortunately got loudly beeped at by a driver that had apparently slid into my blind spot from an adjacent lane at just that moment. So no incident, but my wife and I both reacted immediately "I didn't hear a warning tone!".

On my Porsche "new owner survey", I expressed my disappointment that there is no audible alert. They could fix this with a software update easily, and they should.
Wow, still no audible warning in 2021?

I still have, and love, the Panamera 4S bought when posting it. I guess you could say I have gotten used to know audible alarm BUT seriously, if it really is just a software fix, they should make it an option you can turn on and off.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:30 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

I have oldie 2014 PGTS and preferring not having an audible and that it continuously signals the status of the adjacent lane. Yours probably does the same. Where I drive, signaling a lane change prior to starting the change mostly ensures the other driver will close the gap. I agree, an audible is probably better than a quickly flashing warning for some folks. but I’ve found the software is too conservative under some conditions and I would be annoyed by an audible under those conditions.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:40 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

My only point of reference is the Jeep system, and it only does audible alerts when the turn signal is on. I'm an engineer and pretty picky about how systems and user interfaces work, and it is a nearly flawless implementation. The only "false alarm" I notice is when there is a situation with two lanes of traffic turning in parallel from a stop light, and I turn on my signal while stopped, with another stopped car in the adjacent lane. An infrequent occurrence.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:39 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Yes, there should be no reason not to do that. Lane departure warning is audible and configurable.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:31 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 147 Posts

Why would you need the audible sound? When you change lane, you need to check the side mirror, the blind spot, which means you have to turn your head, and you will see the blinking if there is a car on your blind spot. No reason to create a redundant feature. Unless people are too lazy to turn their heads, in that case no safety feature can save you from a crash.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:36 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by E39Nutz
Why would you need the audible sound? When you change lane, you need to check the side mirror, the blind spot, which means you have to turn your head, and you will see the blinking if there is a car on your blind spot. No reason to create a redundant feature. Unless people are too lazy to turn their heads, in that case no safety feature can save you from a crash.
I agree with schnell. The audible warning is helpful, because it alerts you immediately upon turning on the blinker, before you even have to turn your head. Redundancy and making up for driver mistakes ("laziness" as you call it), are the whole point of these safety features.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:51 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 76 Posts

My wife's C300 Merc Cab has this and yes the warning only comes on if you turn the blinker on or start to move into that line.
When I drive the car it's really not bad at all.
Oh. it also came as standard equipment lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: “Audible” Lane Change Assist Warning?