Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera-167/)
-   -   2014 Porsche panamera turbo clunking noise when hitting bumps on right side (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera/1127474-2014-porsche-panamera-turbo-clunking-noise-when-hitting-bumps-on-right-side.html)

Terry Breaux 02-03-2019 10:09 PM

2014 Porsche panamera turbo clunking noise when hitting bumps on right side

Just heard a sound in the front suspension a week ago on the right side. It's a clunking noise while hitting bumps. It was oil change time...so I thought I would ask the dealership to check it out once they had my car. They come back and said it is front related with bushing and wishbone and sway bar bushings and it is going to be 2400 ...omg ...would you trust the dealership..or has anyone had this problem in their suspension.? And could give me any suggestions...I feel I should get a second opinion, but I dont live close to a Porsche dealership. I live 5 hrs away....we have an Audi dealer here that's it.

DogWood 02-03-2019 10:21 PM

sadly that is a well known and documented problem, if you're hand y with tools there is a good write up on how to do it yourself and save a few dollars

Terry Breaux 02-03-2019 10:33 PM

They need the car 3 days minimum to align it afterwards and drive it....you never know with dealership...it only has 48000 miles...there are cars out there that are a 150,000 dollars cheaper and go 150,000 miles plus with no suspension problems, maybe like a Toyota of any sort. It's a porsche. I thought they were supposed be one of the most reliable cars. But I guess not suspension. We all know Porsches handle exceptionally well, but 48000 miles is not alot miles even on a Kia.

DogWood 02-04-2019 12:17 PM

you'll get no argument from me, Porsche really screwed the pooch on this. Overall Porsche does make very reliable cars, but if reliability was the only criteria we'd all be driving Toyota's an be bored out of our minds......

Pointbye 02-04-2019 12:34 PM

Then trade it on a Toyota.

ciaka 02-04-2019 01:30 PM

Porsche is one of the most reliable cars, but they do need maintenance, which is not cheap if you have it done by Porsche dealer service.
The problem you have is documented in DIY threads I have showing how to swap them. Alignment must be done afterwards.
If you do not feel up to doing yourself, look at an independent porsche repair, you will have cheaper price but be sure they know what they are doing before you give them your car.
Remember, these cars are 130k+ vehicles, not just for your arse, but for your soul, so shoestring and gum repairs will show crazy fast.

Outlaw 02-04-2019 02:29 PM

Did they change the design on the sway bar and wishbone bushings on 2017 and later cars?

robhamster 02-04-2019 04:55 PM

I had the same thing happen on my 2014 PTT but fortunately it was and still is under warranty, so the repair was done that way. They told me the repair was done with parts that are better than what was originally put on the car. I think I had 26K miles on it at the time.

justabout 02-06-2019 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by robhamster (Post 15615487)
I had the same thing happen on my 2014 PTT but fortunately it was and still is under warranty, so the repair was done that way. They told me the repair was done with parts that are better than what was originally put on the car. I think I had 26K miles on it at the time.

That is interesting. I though the 2014s had upgraded parts. Apparently they did another upgrade. Customers are the testers.

EmMHoLLa 02-07-2019 11:16 AM

Had this issue on my 12 P4S. Very common..

SubzeroX 02-12-2019 01:11 AM

2010 ptt and I have that issue at 85k miles - previous owner had same issue at 20ish mi and had warranty change out the parts but now same issue - I just live with it sigh

NJS_04_996 02-13-2019 11:36 PM

I probably have this issue too, also currently at 85K miles. Definitely more noticeable in colder weather.

Originally Posted by DogWood (Post 15613839)
sadly that is a well known and documented problem, if you're hand y with tools there is a good write up on how to do it yourself and save a few dollars

do you happen to know the link/title offhand?

DogWood 02-14-2019 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996 (Post 15637779)
I probably have this issue too, also currently at 85K miles. Definitely more noticeable in colder weather.

do you happen to know the link/title offhand?

Here you go
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...placement.html

Paul Rathjen 02-18-2019 07:38 PM

You are forgetting that its just a noise. The parts aren't failed or failing and the noises have no effect on performance (supposedly) they are just annoying. $2400 is to replace the actual full linkage, not just the bushings. If its not covered under warranty, I would look into just replacing the bushings with a kit and have an independent shop do it. Its half that or less cost from what I've read. It will be my first warranty claim once winter is over.