Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Any “rattles” in your Panamera? How to address?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any “rattles” in your Panamera? How to address?

The preowned 2018 4S I purchases a month ago has exceeded my expectations and has really been the upgrade I was hoping for. . .except for one issue – rattles. Even when driving with the air suspension on normal there are numerous “rattles” coming from the mid-to-back area of the car. It’s the one thing in the car that hasn’t met my expectations of a Porsche and something I know can be addressed and know I need to get addressed.

My wife and I heard a few of these “rattles” during the test drive and repeatedly requested they be addressed should we purchase and they were heard by the sales person as well. I think I verified more than several times that the noises we heard shouldn’t be there and would be addressed under warranty. When I had the car in for a few other issues (i.e. Porsche Connect not linking, keyfob light not working, etc.) I requested the rattles be addressed which the service department said they would with the comment “got it, chasing rattles.” While they had the car I got a 2018 Panamera sport turismo and immediately noticed on my regular drive on the same traveled roads there was literally not a single rattle. It was so awesome I immediately called the dealership back and told them how awesome it was and to definitely make finding what was causing the rattles a priority. They said they would but also offered up the idea that the sport turismo’s rear end is different (which it probably is) almost implying or pushing off my concern with the rattles. Everyone has been very nice to be clear, that’s just how it sort of felt because when I got my car back they said they found something off in the rear passenger door and fixed the rattle. Unfortunately, the rattles are not fixed at all.

So I guess my first question is in your opinion should my 2018 4S have significant rattles – just seems the common sense answer should be no but this is my first Porsche? Does your 2017 or 2018 4S have rattles from the mid-to-rear area of the car?

And, any suggestions or tips on how to best address with the dealership (i.e. I guess make a video or two) or find and address on my own?

The car was only at the dealer once for other reasons so I’m not in a situation where the dealer has pushed back on addressing my rattle concerns yet and when I bring it in again I’ll be much more adamant about getting it addressed. It’s just the rattles are so obvious that there is no way they could test drive the car after looking at it last time and say the issue was “fixed” so I’m anticipating, hopefully incorrectly, it may be difficult getting this addressed.

Love, love, love the 4S and would be almost literally perfect if I could just kill the rattles.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Djpeaksd
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah its really tough. I have an 18 Turbo that has some rattles that it is at the dealership right now for. My first visit I told the service advisor and of course when I picked it up the lady to give me my paperwork gave me the famous "couldn't replicate" BS. So when I made my next appointment I asked my service advisor if I could please go on a drive with the shop foreman. He agreed and thought that was a fantastic idea. Now the shop foreman has heard it and when the technician is trying to fix it, they know exactly what they are trying to find. Thats my recommendation, just go on a drive with the shop foreman.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 276 Posts

FWIW my 2018 Panamera (11/17 build) is rattle free. Now with 18k miles. Hope they fix your’s.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by Djpeaksd
So when I made my next appointment I asked my service advisor if I could please go on a drive with the shop foreman. He agreed and thought that was a fantastic idea. Now the shop foreman has heard it and when the technician is trying to fix it, they know exactly what they are trying to find. Thats my recommendation, just go on a drive with the shop foreman.
thanks, I think I may do exactly what you said rather than hope they hear and address them again.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
FWIW my 2018 Panamera (11/17 build) is rattle free. Now with 18k miles. Hope they fix your’s.
Good information, I appreciate hearing it specifically from someone since I have to believe rattle free is the norm 👍.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawtyger

Good information, I appreciate hearing it specifically from someone since I have to believe rattle free is the norm 👍.
I will also chime in that my MY2018 (5,100 miles) has also been as quiet as a church mouse. (Knock on wood) Very impressed with how sound the car is. You should NOT have to settle for any kind of rattle noise in this car. Good luck and good idea to take the shop foreman with you to not allow them to have any excuses.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:03 AM
gt3touring
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

My suggestion would be to have someone drive and you sit in the back and starting trying to "push around" trying to see if you can find the rattle.

I hate rattles too and I find the best way is if you can find the source and point the foreman or tech directly to the area. Most times, they tech only takes the car down the road and it's not enough of a test drive for them to hear the rattle.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Originally Posted by gt3touring
My suggestion would be to have someone drive and you sit in the back and starting trying to "push around" trying to see if you can find the rattle.

I hate rattles too and I find the best way is if you can find the source and point the foreman or tech directly to the area. Most times, they tech only takes the car down the road and it's not enough of a test drive for them to hear the rattle.
Thank you for the suggestion - my wife and I did exactly this. I then had the shop foreman go with me for a ride so he could isolate the issue himself which he did and for the most part two severe rattle areas (trunk latch and a door panel) are fixed. There are one or two small rattles I may still address at a future service but it is much better now.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 AM
J Reid
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm positive I have a rattle from the passenger seat. when not moving I can replicate it and can put pressure on the seat with my hand when going over a speed bump to get it to stop. Anyone seen any issues with seat rattles?
Old 01-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Lawtyger
Advanced

No seat rattles here.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:38 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

I thought my car had some weird noises recently as well. Turns out the the car is quiet as a mouse, it's the damn garage door opener that's a cheap pos job that has more creaks than a car with a million more parts. Go figure. Make sure the noise isn't something other than your vehicle first.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:41 AM
HankB
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny story. A P4 loaner I got one time had this odd rattle that came from the front passenger seat. Mostly when going around corners. Made me nuts. When I got home I started feeling under the seat and found a surprise: a golf ball in a small depression under the seat. I think the depression was a vent from the ac system as it was hardplastic.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Sport Turismo rattles like crazy from the right rear or hatch. Just got the car 25 days ago. Glad to see in a way its not just mine... lol
Most people that have been with me in the car are like WTF is that noise then crack jokes on Porsche quality.
My 17 Cayenne had rattles as well.
Porsche build quality is not up to the sticker price.
Havent had the time to chase the rattle or take it in.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:33 PM
dabear
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2014 Turbo is very quiet.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:20 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2018 turbo is very quite. No rattles or squeaks. Incredibly well built machine!

Quick Reply: Any “rattles” in your Panamera? How to address?