Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Any “rattles” in your Panamera? How to address?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 06:08 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I never had a Panamera but I did have a Cayman with a rattle. I had someone ride with me, and of course we had a hard time replicating it. I went off on a wild goose chase, and even ordered and replaced a strut to hold the rear deck lid up. I had mechanics look at it to no avail. I was near to the point of pulling off all the trim.

Then by a strange set of circumstances which is too much to go into here, I figured out what it was. There is a rear privacy screen in the back. On one of the edges of the screen was a plastic tip that was hitting against some plastic trim back there (worse over vibration/bumps). I just adjusted the thing by ever so slightly bending it back in, so there was no contact point, and rattle was gone forever. Might have been a half inch.

This was the source, but for whatever reason, it always sounded like it was coming from somewhere else.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:46 PM
J Reid
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for my seat rattle I think i figured out the source. Kind of weird as it’s completely dependent on the fore/aft position of the seat. If the seat is too far forward it rattles like crazy, if I move the seat further back, i’ve found a sweet spot where it is 90% quieter. Will likely have dealer fix whatever is causing it when i take it in next time.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:49 PM
ziggy38
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had rattles in my 2018 Turbo which were finally fixed. Tech found noise coming from the area between the front sunroof and the panoramic roof when the body flexed. they added a sound clip (?) and damping tape to roof. Seems to have fixed the problem,
Old 02-04-2019, 06:31 PM
PanEhybrid
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have perhaps a similar sound I need to get addressed. Mine makes more of a creaking noise from the area above the rear-view mirror. It happens pretty consistently when backing out or driving into my driveway at an an angle -- or pretty much any time I hit a decent size bump. It sounds like plastic creaking, and since it's easy to replicate, I hope the dealership can easily fix it. I've just been procrastinating.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Lawtyger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PanEhybrid
I have perhaps a similar sound I need to get addressed. Mine makes more of a creaking noise from the area above the rear-view mirror. It happens pretty consistently when backing out or driving into my driveway at an an angle -- or pretty much any time I hit a decent size bump. It sounds like plastic creaking, and since it's easy to replicate, I hope the dealership can easily fix it. I've just been procrastinating.
I have that as well but since it only happens occassionally I didn’t mention it. Happens to me when entering or exiting the driveway (like you mentioned). Not as annoying to me as a constant rattle while driving down the street so I didn’t prioritize that one over the others mentioned in the original post.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

2018 Sport Turismo 4S with an annoying, consistent squeak in the back that is going back to the dealer. Originally thought it was the rear window wiper, but after playing around with that the noise persisted.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:59 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Dealer found My rattle was the plastic dummy key. It sound crazy but once that was replaced the rattle was gone.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:42 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

LOL. I love how many on here chime in, to tell the OP their cars are quiet. lol again, i am sure he will find it very useful to know relative to his car.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:46 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

Most things that rattle are, in order of checking:
- loose items in one of the compartments of the car, check all and remove everything if needed to eliminate that.
- Loose screws or trim clips. ANY work done on the car is possibility some clips were not clipped in fully. Start checking for loose panels
- Dirt between trim pieces
- overtightened trim screws
- playing very loud audio via radio for a long time, like months/years.. base sound has tendency to help loosen screws
- defective speaker membranes
- localize where it is coming from (trunk, engine bay, wheels, inside cabin, etc,
- of all possibilities, choose ONE, and try to remedy and drive to see if resolved.
hope this helps a bit.

Quick Reply: Any “rattles” in your Panamera? How to address?