Panamera 2010-Current

2017 Acura Nsx to Panny or S class

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2017 Acura Nsx to Panny or S class

Currently driving an Nsx, previous to that had an I8 for a year and R8 v10 spyder for 3 years. I DD the Nsx , but find th seats not comfy and super low, pain in the *** to get in and out of. The car is great, super fast etc. Thinking of going to panny or s class. I know s class is luxury cruiser compared to panny. Just worried s class might be to floaty or slow since I am used to very fast cars. Anyone make this type of switch? Would you go 4s or turbo. Live in nyc area so roads not great. Trying to find the right balance of comfort, speed etc. Thoughts? I would probably buy used cpo
Old 12-14-2018, 12:15 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

from your previous 3 cars, either will be a leap, but the S-class will be a tremendous jump and I think you might find the S a bit boring. i've owned an S500 and it's a very nice car, but extremely insulated and a cruiser - very removed. if you're moving to a 4-seater/4-door, the panny is a great choice. i made a similar move in that i wanted a 4-seater that didn't remove me completely from the driving experience. this is literally the panny's sweet spot - might do it better than any other car - RS7 is a close match. i'd suggest the turbo for you based on previous cars, especially the NSX and the R8 v10. test drive one, i think you'll be pleased.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Being used to very fast agile cars, the Panny is probably your best bet as its generally agreed that the Panamera hides its weight much better than other sedans and can really feel like a sports car to a degree. All that in a quiet cushy cabin. Personally I'd keep the NSX because its just more rare and special, and if you take car of it, will hold its value much better than a Porsche. IF you can afford the NSX, then maybe you should consider a lightly used first generation Panamera Turbo S, or a lightly used RS7, and keeping the Acura!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:51 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxdr1965
I know s class is luxury cruiser compared to panny.
I've got a brother who's driving for a living: moving people to/from expensive hotels back to private airports. He's always driving the latest S class. Zero love here for the S class. It may have more pointless gizmos but the ride is not better than my Panny. Quality of finition is also IMO very subpar compared to the Panamera. Leather are of lesser quality.

The S class is a car for taxi drivers: nothing wrong with that (and my brother is one such taxi driver). Same with the BMW 7 series: close but no cigar.

I don't care about how many options and gizmos there are: this is not what luxury is about. To me luxury is about the quality of the finish, the quality of the leather, etc.

Only car I tried that felt more luxurious than the Panamera is the Bentley Continental GT. I'm sure Rolls is also better. But S Class? Meh...

And then ofc with the Panny you get to drive in normal mode and the ride is ultra smooth or you decide to hit Sport/Sport Plus and the car is so sporty and agile that you tend to forget you've got two tons to move around (which can create tricky situations).
Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

I took my 970.2 GTS to the track once and was impressed. The handling was amazing for a heavy vehicle leading me to believe the Panny design has sports car DNA. So if handling is an important feature and you need 4 doors, you cannot go wrong buying a Panamera.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. While i love the nsx, it is not a great DD or vert. Looks like I am going to try the Panny Hybrid, with the tax credit its a great deal
Old 12-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

At least get the turbo S Hybrid! Then I don't think you will miss the power of the NSX at all! Those are just as rare and special as the NSX I supposed too.

Quick Reply: 2017 Acura Nsx to Panny or S class