Panamera 2010-Current

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 AM
rowsey
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Starting problem

I have a 2018 4S,,,,,,, quite often (but not always) when I turn the key to start the engine nothing happens (yes, I have my foot firmly on the brake pedal). If I turn it back off and then back on it starts. Anyone have any idea what the issue might be? I am going to take it in to the dealer but would like to have an idea of what is wrong when I go in.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:23 AM
petelp
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen the same thing with the same frequency. I believe it’s related to the fact that several things are using the battery simultaneously when we do that. Starting up the PCM head unit, starting up the HVAC equipment, including cooling system, blowers, and vent positioning, moving seats to memory positions, and lights. Most all of these things use more power for starting than for running.

When you you combine that with starting the engine, I’m guessing, the power to the starter is reduced just enough so that the engine fails to start.

I have noticed that if I turn the key to the accessory mode position, without turning it as far as the starter position, all functions but the starter turn on first, and if I then pause a couple of seconds, and THEN turn the key farther, thus activating the starter, the engine always starts without fail.

Last edited by petelp; 12-10-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 AM
rowsey
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

THANKS PETELP...…. that is a good idea about "staggering" the key turn when starting, I will try that..... I think you are correct in your assessment of the issue. I am still going to have the dealer check it out and see what THEY say the issue is. Thanks again for your input
Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM
petelp
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You're very welcome. Please report back on what you learn.

BTW. My 2018 4S is also white with black painted vents (as the one in your photo appears to be). I think the car is absolutely beautiful.

Pete

Quick Reply: Starting problem