Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Turbo vs 2019 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 PM
hdavidson
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2018 Turbo vs 2019 GTS?

I’m in the market for a new daily driver and think a Panamera might fit the bill quite nicely. After doing just a little research, I’m considering either 2018 Turbo or putting in an order for a 2019 GTS. According to the Porsche configurator, a nicely optioned GTS comes in at around $160K. Since it’s not even released yet, it’s unlikely a dealer is going to give me much of discount off of MSRP. It appears I can get a equally loaded 2018 Turbo, with an original MSRP closer to $180K, off the lot for the same or probably less than the new GTS. I would appreciate some feedback on which way to go. I’m also open to exploring other options not listed above.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2018, 01:42 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

Sir, you ask the question for the ages. This is like asking who is better, Patrick Long or Mark Webber? Steve McQueen or Paul Newman? Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy?

As the old saying goes- "he who had Panamera GTS never regretted it"
Old 12-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the turbo for sure. In Atlanta there are 18s that I can get over 30 k off list. Let me know if you need help.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:47 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

My understanding is the turbo and GTS are close in weight and heavy. Given that, for the same price I would go with the power. The handling differences/ tuning are not really known until consumers can drive these back-to-back. Could be a long wait for that feedback. Either way you cannot go wrong.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:47 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I would go Turbo all day long.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Jmclerici
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I literally just went through this same dance and landed on a new 2018 Turbo, loaded - out of Atlanta, actually. With a huge discount, it came in $7k below MSRP for my planned 2019 GTS spec, out the door, delivered to me outside of DC. Never been more happy with a car decision. I sold my 2013 GTS - which I adored - to move to the new model with great trepidation, especially after driving a 2018 4S for 3 days and not loving the engine. In the end, while the new GTS will have a V8 it is only a modest bump over the 4S. With the additional weight from the bigger engine it may be a push with 4S. But the Turbo has it all - a truly amazing car. If you can get a deal like I did on a 18 Turbo grab it and don’t look back. One final thing to consider - while they are saying April delivery on the new GTS, it seems everything coming out of Europe has been pushed back weeks/months thanks to certs/EPA. So even if you think you are getting another year by going with a 19, it could be fall before it shows up. If you find the right 18, grab it . You won’t think twice.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Originally Posted by Jmclerici
I literally just went through this same dance and landed on a new 2018 Turbo, loaded - out of Atlanta, actually. With a huge discount, it came in $7k below MSRP for my planned 2019 GTS spec, out the door, delivered to me outside of DC. Never been more happy with a car decision. I sold my 2013 GTS - which I adored - to move to the new model with great trepidation, especially after driving a 2018 4S for 3 days and not loving the engine. In the end, while the new GTS will have a V8 it is only a modest bump over the 4S. With the additional weight from the bigger engine it may be a push with 4S. But the Turbo has it all - a truly amazing car. If you can get a deal like I did on a 18 Turbo grab it and don’t look back. One final thing to consider - while they are saying April delivery on the new GTS, it seems everything coming out of Europe has been pushed back weeks/months thanks to certs/EPA. So even if you think you are getting another year by going with a 19, it could be fall before it shows up. If you find the right 18, grab it . You won’t think twice.
Did you get the GT silver panny from perimeter?

really hate the detuned cars from factory. Why bother?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:00 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

The GTS won’t disappoint. It is a step up in torque - 457 to about 405 lb Ft on 4S I think. And lowered and recalibrated suspension. Built for a purist. A Turbo is an awesome car but I recommend PDCC and RAS on that baby to make it responsive.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:09 AM
hdavidson
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

All great feedback - thanks! I’m going to see if I can negotiate an aggressive deal on an 18 Turbo. It appears I should be able to get at least 15% off of MSRP. If I’m unsuccessful I’ll order up a loaded GTS and add a custom tune.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Jmclerici
6th Gear

Funny. Looked hard at that one but bought the Chalk. Steve Dooley was great all around.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Funny. Looked hard at that one but bought the Chalk. Steve Dooley was great all around.
I test drove your carl lol.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:19 PM
Jmclerici
6th Gear

Very happy you didn’t buy it - I absolutely love it! Had 81 miles when I got it - hopefully those that you put on were kind!

A bit more on GTS v Turbo, I recall in 2012 when I ordered my 13 GTS, they were heavily discounting Turbos then too such that they were about the same price, more or less, as a GTS. Since there were GTSs on the lot then (unlike now), I was able to drive them back to back. The N/A, noisy V8 on the 2013 GTS won out hands down. But the new GTS is going to be, as noted, just a detuned Turbo. All the other bells and whistles on the Turbo will come with the GTS. So if they are the same price (which, again, they aren’t unless you are able land a great deal on the Turbo), to me the GTS will a baby Turbo, with the engine detuned by nearly 20%. That makes the Turbo v GTS question a no brainer, again assuming pricing is close to equal. While I truly loved my 2013 GTS due to the N/A response and unequaled growl, the power on the Turbo is too good for words. If you find the right car, you won’t be sorry about the Turbo no matter how good the GTS will be when it hits the streets.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Very happy you didn’t buy it - I absolutely love it! Had 81 miles when I got it - hopefully those that you put on were kind!

A bit more on GTS v Turbo, I recall in 2012 when I ordered my 13 GTS, they were heavily discounting Turbos then too such that they were about the same price, more or less, as a GTS. Since there were GTSs on the lot then (unlike now), I was able to drive them back to back. The N/A, noisy V8 on the 2013 GTS won out hands down. But the new GTS is going to be, as noted, just a detuned Turbo. All the other bells and whistles on the Turbo will come with the GTS. So if they are the same price (which, again, they aren’t unless you are able land a great deal on the Turbo), to me the GTS will a baby Turbo, with the engine detuned by nearly 20%. That makes the Turbo v GTS question a no brainer, again assuming pricing is close to equal. While I truly loved my 2013 GTS due to the N/A response and unequaled growl, the power on the Turbo is too good for words. If you find the right car, you won’t be sorry about the Turbo no matter how good the GTS will be when it hits the streets.
I was indeed. That was a striking car for sure with the interior color. Enjoy that car.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

at risk of going off topic, a used ferrari ff is now same price as new panamera. while lacking 4 doors, they both still only seat 4 and ferrari has insane na v12 which could be last chance to drive one. can get extended warranty and routine maintenance covered too.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:11 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
at risk of going off topic, a used ferrari ff is now same price as new panamera. while lacking 4 doors, they both still only seat 4 and ferrari has insane na v12 which could be last chance to drive one. can get extended warranty and routine maintenance covered too.
true, but damn if that isn't just a horrid looking vehicle from the b pillar back.

Quick Reply: 2018 Turbo vs 2019 GTS?