Panamera 2010-Current

Ceramic Coatings

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 09:52 AM
kmwnaz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ceramic Coatings

As a new owner of 2018 Panamera Turbo in black, I've been advised by many to have the car treated with "ceramic coating". I've checked a few detail places here in Scottsdale Arizona and quickly found just about everyone is using a different brand. So my questions are

1. Is there a big difference between brands?
2. Some have told me only hand washes vs. car wash after the coatings
3. Some want to reapply in a year or two - normal?

They were all pretty pricey too.

Has anyone had better success with one vs. another? Do you still you a car wash?

Appreciate any recommendations.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:10 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine has Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. So has my business partners. C5 on wheels/callipers, etc.
I swear by it. Much easier to wash, no time spent polishing and waxing.
Wheels are like new a year on ( with British sh*t weather too).
Think warranty is 7 years, but you have to take it back for an annual inspection.
I don't think this type needs re-application after a few years.

Our previous ones had Gtechniq c1+exo
We never took back for the annual check and never had an issue.
Never had any issues, I topped mine up on every other wash with diluted exo.
My business partner didn't, and both cars after 3ok+ miles were the same and fine.

Not cheap, but worth it IMHO

Alternative to a ceramic coating would be a film and preferably a self healing film.

and finally please tell me you don't take your car (any car) into a brush car wash ?
Old 11-22-2018, 01:08 PM
fbx
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would STRONGLY recommend XPEL or similar film over any coating. The film is more expensive (prob 2x) but is so much more effective. I have found coatings to provide a glossy surface that may make it a little easier to clean the car but they don't protect against scratches, scuffs, etc. The glossiness wears off after about a year, even if you opt for premium package with multiple coatings. The XPEL film is self healing (if it scratches it fixes itself) and has a fantastic warranty (ie if you get in an accident they'll replace the film on the body panels you fix, etc.).
Old 11-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Probably a great idea for a black car. Most of these coatings are the same I believe at this point. You probably want to do a subtle paint correction and remove some of the orange peel from the black paint it’ll really make it shine flatter. Price should be around 2000.

I would also use Sun Tek ultra film on the front clip. You don’t want to be staring at white chips on your hood after 1000 miles.This will really make washing the front of your car a lot easier as well. And yes you need to hand wash the car no more automatic washes as it scratches the paint.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:38 AM
Captain Obvious
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both, CQuartz Finest and Expel on my Panamera, and CQuartz UK on my Vette (did that myself). I would wholeheartedly recommend it. I will never go back to waxing. Too much work.

The key is not so much which coating you use, but in the prep work. I am sure there are subtle differences in the depth of color and shine between brands, but removing the paint defects prior to application is key. Maintenance is easy. Carefully wash, and about once a month or 2, I use Car Pro Reload to "fortify" the coating. I went with CQuartz and Expel because I really liked the look compared to other brands, but ultimately it was the skill of the detailer I use and his recommendation. I wouldn't bring it to a car wash. If you do get a coating, make sure you have the wheels and exhaust tips coated. Nothing sticks the the coating and dirt really just rinses off, even brake dust on the wheels and the soot on the exhaust tips. Its not a lot of work and doesn't take much time. I enjoy washing and maintaining the cars I have. A form of therapy I guess.

The coating on my Vette is going on 4 years and still beads water like crazy with excellent shine and color depth. I just had the Panamera done since it's only 2 months new, but I expect the same.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:47 AM
Captain Obvious
Track Day

Wanted to add:
There are some forums on the web specifically for car detailing. A search should come up with all the info you need. Some of the ones I peruse are:
https://www.autogeekonline.net
https://www.autopia.org
https://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

Good luck
Old 11-23-2018, 12:41 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
I have both, CQuartz Finest and Expel on my Panamera, and CQuartz UK on my Vette (did that myself). I would wholeheartedly recommend it. I will never go back to waxing. Too much work.

The key is not so much which coating you use, but in the prep work. I am sure there are subtle differences in the depth of color and shine between brands, but removing the paint defects prior to application is key. Maintenance is easy. Carefully wash, and about once a month or 2, I use Car Pro Reload to "fortify" the coating. I went with CQuartz and Expel because I really liked the look compared to other brands, but ultimately it was the skill of the detailer I use and his recommendation. I wouldn't bring it to a car wash. If you do get a coating, make sure you have the wheels and exhaust tips coated. Nothing sticks the the coating and dirt really just rinses off, even brake dust on the wheels and the soot on the exhaust tips. Its not a lot of work and doesn't take much time. I enjoy washing and maintaining the cars I have. A form of therapy I guess.

The coating on my Vette is going on 4 years and still beads water like crazy with excellent shine and color depth. I just had the Panamera done since it's only 2 months new, but I expect the same.
Capt. do you think the 30ml kit is enough to do a Panamera?

Old 11-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Captain Obvious
Track Day

More than enough. With the 30 ml CQuartz UK I did my Vette and my wife's XC60 with some to spare. Don't need much, goes on very thin. There are some instructional videos on you tube and the Car pro site. I would watch them first. Really easy to do, just take your time and follow the directions.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:04 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

thanks
Old 11-24-2018, 11:56 AM
Archer1021
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I have done modesta coating on 3 black cars:
metallic 18 pan turbo
beluga 17 v8s GT
beluga 18 w12s spur

i think on black, coating is a must. Modesta claims 10 year warranty. They costed between 2200-2300 ( big cost is in polishing “prep” for coating for the paint correction). While a film is more protective, I was quoted 7-8 k, did not feel like spending that.

but the coating does not completely protect against all scratches, realistically 95% of scratches will be protected against as long as no machine wash.

They say: only hand wash, and I have mine do annual maintainance to remove any surface scratches and re fortify the coating. The rain whips off the car, no wipers needed.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND on a black car
Old 11-24-2018, 12:00 PM
Archer1021
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Just did this puppy last week

Pan in March 18

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coatings