Panamera 2010-Current

PDK issues/noises/function question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 02:29 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK issues/noises/function question

Hi all. Contemplating selling my 911 for a Panny. Again. Couple test drives I’ve done on 2018’s (and 17’s) has me scratching my head with the grinding, harshness and issues with pdk. I was told there’s been a software update but any feedback at this point in terms of the above? My test drives illustrated (at those times) how RAW and unrefined the new 8 speed pdk is compared to the 7 speed in The 911, which is generally smooth but clanky at times (I have an unusually quiet one though).

Apprciate it!
Old 11-06-2018, 12:18 AM
skicanman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
Hi all. Contemplating selling my 911 for a Panny. Again. Couple test drives I’ve done on 2018’s (and 17’s) has me scratching my head with the grinding, harshness and issues with pdk. I was told there’s been a software update but any feedback at this point in terms of the above? My test drives illustrated (at those times) how RAW and unrefined the new 8 speed pdk is compared to the 7 speed in The 911, which is generally smooth but clanky at times (I have an unusually quiet one though).

Apprciate it!
Good question. Had mine 18 for about 5 months now. Took it in for a software update due to harsh shift, clanks and clunks in the transmission. Helped a little bit but still not smooth. Hate to say it, but a bit disappointed in the harshness of the transmission compared to my previous mercedes, BMWs and Lexus'. Hoping is only a surface issue and not a potential indication of long term problems.

Wondering if anyone else is less than ecstatic with the PDK transmission.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:38 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine appears smooth as butter.
Are you sure this comes from tran gears not from front final drive or rear diff?
Low oil, no maintenance can result in this effect.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:58 AM
skicanman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaka
Mine appears smooth as butter.
Are you sure this comes from tran gears not from front final drive or rear diff?
Low oil, no maintenance can result in this effect.
Car is a brand new 2018 and was just in about a month ago for the PDK update. So I do believe it is the transmission and the click, clunks and other noises occur when shifting. Much worse when downshifting to second and first gears when slowing down.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:53 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys. At least confirms what was told
to me. My 911 tts has been rock solid and although I could use a 4 door, don’t want to be unhappy. Lol
Old 11-11-2018, 12:45 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Do the newer PDKs (8speed) start off in second grear? I was not a fan of this feature until I realized the transmission operates more smoothly in normal driving if it doesn’t down shift into first. One exception is starting on grades where a manual downshift helps smooth starting from zero speed.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:01 PM
ciaka
Racer

I think all PDK, in normal mode, start from 2nd gear.
When you set to sport, that is when start begins from 1st.

Originally Posted by justabout
Do the newer PDKs (8speed) start off in second grear? I was not a fan of this feature until I realized the transmission operates more smoothly in normal driving if it doesn’t down shift into first. One exception is starting on grades where a manual downshift helps smooth starting from zero speed.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I think in general the PDK and "manual automatic" transmissions are noisier and clunky sounding as compared to say a refined torque converter ZF. My thoughts are the PDK really drives and feels like a manual the way it blips, and downshifts, and rev matches all for you as you drive.

When you drive calmly you can feel the transmission sort of let off between shifts, and under full throttle it bangs them into gear like no-lift shifting. This makes for a very sporty feel in all modes. I attribute this manual like feel and sound to these types of DC transmissions. I would not call it overlyl harsh at all. I would also say, that the PDK, as apposed to a traditional automatic, really makes the use of the paddle shifters viable. I would in fact argue that the PDK actually drives much smoother, as does the GTR transmission, when you actually USE the paddles.

As compared to the 8 speed ZF in my RS7 its definitely louder and les smooth under light throttle, but more solid and smoother at WOT.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:20 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

no my 2017 971 4S starts in 1st gear always.
just did the reset from the other thread. It definitely helped

Last edited by jtorrebl; 11-17-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:41 PM
ciaka
Racer

I would agree 100%.
PDK under light load, feels a little more rough, but if you put more load on it especially around the RPM near gear shifts, it will bang through them all like knife through butter.

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
......its definitely louder and les smooth under light throttle, but more solid and smoother at WOT.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (03-01-2021)
Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

My 2012 Panamera Turbo S PDK is pretty smooth throughout the range in automatic and manual mode. The software is up to date and I detect no harshness.

The one thing I have noticed is that when I put it into reverse up a (steepish) hill (so considerable loading) I do get an occasional light clunk sound/feeling that the clutch or something is slipping a bit. (Thats what is feels like) It re-engages quickly and I everything works fine. Only happens occasionally. I asked the SA at a Porsche dealer about it who said "all PDK's do that". Has anyone else noticed this in reversing up hills?

Chris
Old 11-21-2018, 08:14 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

PDK slips on inclines during low speeds but be careful because it can suddenly decide to hookup and lurch the car. The owners manual does say to use caution during low speed maneuvers and now understand why. One time, while going up a parking garage incline very slowly, clutch slipping, and turning left into a parking space, the clutch suddenly fully engaged. If I hadn’t quickly lifted off the throttle the concrete wall and the bumper would have made contact. That was was second almost disastrous experience for me with PDK clutch slipping on inclines. PDK cannot match some of the behaviors of conventional automatics (at low speeds) but it’s an equitable trade off IMO. You just need to heed the owners manual advice.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:07 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Also keep in mind the clutch is a wear item. The more you let it slip the faster it will wear out. Just something to think about if you can manage it with driving technique in certain situations that will help at least push out the replacement timing.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:43 AM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

PDK slips on inclines during low speeds but be careful because it can suddenly decide to hookup and lurch the car. The owners manual does say to use caution during low speed maneuvers and now understand why. One time, while going up a parking garage incline very slowly, clutch slipping, and turning left into a parking space, the clutch suddenly fully engaged. If I hadn’t quickly lifted off the throttle the concrete wall and the bumper would have made contact. That was was second almost disastrous experience for me with PDK clutch slipping on inclines. PDK cannot match some of the behaviors of conventional automatics (at low speeds) but it’s an equitable trade off IMO. You just need to heed the owners manual advice.

Thanks so much, very useful reply. I did not see anything in owners manual about caution in low speed maneuvers.. but its a thick manual!

Seems though the behavior I observe is not that out of the ordinary.. or that the PDK is not the same as (for comparisons sakes) a typical Mercedes transmission in its "reverse up a hill" behaviors for example.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:17 AM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

PDK slips on inclines during low speeds but be careful because it can suddenly decide to hookup and lurch the car.
Thanks for this info, I was wondering what the deal was with this behavior. I have this same issue by my home where I make a very sharp turn on a steep downslope right after a stop sign. The car goes slowly right after the turn and I have to be very careful to not give it too much gas as it will lurch unexpectedly if I press down on the accelerator normally.

Quick Reply: PDK issues/noises/function question