Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

My Car Almost Caused An Accident!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 03:11 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default My Car Almost Caused An Accident!!

Yesterday on my way home I had a really scary situation. I was on the freeway and my cruise was set at 75 mph. So I'm driving in the fast lane and all of a sudden a piece of what I'm guessing was aluminum foil comes floating down the road toward me. My car immediately slammed on the brakes very hard and cinched down my seat belt apparently thinking I was about to have a collision. Fortunately the car behind me was far enough back that he was able to react just in time and avoided rear ending me. He obviously was totally pissed off and let me know it with his middle finger and horn. I waved apologetically but I don't think he cared at that point.

So now I'm wondering if the collision avoidance system is really worth having?? Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 10-14-2018, 05:44 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Yesterday on my way home I had a really scary situation. I was on the freeway and my cruise was set at 75 mph. So I'm driving in the fast lane and all of a sudden a piece of what I'm guessing was aluminum foil comes floating down the road toward me. My car immediately slammed on the brakes very hard and cinched down my seat belt apparently thinking I was about to have a collision. Fortunately the car behind me was far enough back that he was able to react just in time and avoided rear ending me. He obviously was totally pissed off and let me know it with his middle finger and horn. I waved apologetically but I don't think he cared at that point.

So now I'm wondering if the collision avoidance system is really worth having?? Anyone else have a similar experience?
Absolutely unacceptable

Is this a feature that would've activated even if you weren't set on cruise control? Can it be turned off if its a passive feature?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:19 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

aluminum foil? i have to believe there's a limit to the scope of the feature in relation to the size of the object. how big was this piece of 'foil'? how close the vehicle before the car hit the brakes? i have to assume it headed directly towards a sensor. i wonder about some of these safety features sometimes, but usually not from the system overreacting point of view.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:30 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

My lane keep assist did something similar recently (I even had the dealership check out the cameras after). I've disabled it since. Definitely have to be careful becoming so reliant on this kind of technology.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:12 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
aluminum foil? i have to believe there's a limit to the scope of the feature in relation to the size of the object. how big was this piece of 'foil'? how close the vehicle before the car hit the brakes? i have to assume it headed directly towards a sensor. i wonder about some of these safety features sometimes, but usually not from the system overreacting point of view.
So I think it was about 12" x 12", basically a square foot in size. It was being blown by the wind directly at the center front of my car so that is why I think it was a piece of foil as metal would not have been "floating" down the middle of the lane. The large Collision Alert display came on immediately as the car was slamming on the brakes. Not sure if this has anything to do with the ACC?? I believe it is a built in safety feature but I can assure you if the person behind me had been a little closer he would have definitely hit me hard.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:32 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Were you able to override the system and immediately apply power?

These new high tech systems are great overall, but they don't supplant an alert driver at the wheel.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:10 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Here is the opposite situation with a Tesla. The car deactivates the autobraking above a certain speed. As a result this guy plowed into the back of a car.

Automakers still have a lot of work to do with these systems.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

I was able to regain control fairly quickly but needless to say by that time I was probably traveling around 35 mph. I quickly steered the car into the next lane on the right and then I was able to accelerate fairly rapidly back up to a safe speed. Luckily as I stated the guy behind me was far enough back and alert so he didn't hit me in the rear and the middle lane was unoccupied to my immediate right so all turned out okay. That said if the traffic had been heavy would have been a major accident.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 PM
911topanamera
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I was able to regain control fairly quickly but needless to say by that time I was probably traveling around 35 mph. I quickly steered the car into the next lane on the right and then I was able to accelerate fairly rapidly back up to a safe speed. Luckily as I stated the guy behind me was far enough back and alert so he didn't hit me in the rear and the middle lane was unoccupied to my immediate right so all turned out okay. That said if the traffic had been heavy would have been a major accident.
SL, glad you're safe! Thats insane. My car has none of that stuff because I had it on my bMW and hated it cause it was so sloppy. This is something I haven't heard yet, thats crazy!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:22 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

I'm not sure it is related to the ACC. I think it may be a standard "safety" feature?? I guess one way you could find out is to drive up closely to the car in front of you on the freeway and see if the "Collision Warning" comes up.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm not sure it is related to the ACC. I think it may be a standard "safety" feature?? I guess one way you could find out is to drive up closely to the car in front of you on the freeway and see if the "Collision Warning" comes up.
It isn’t funny that you had the bejesus scared out of you. What is funny, is the fact that your car was hit by accidental urban countermeasures. Trash as Chaff. I think your ACC Sensor was fooled by the foil. Foil has been used to spoof radar and other sensor systems since WW2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_(countermeasure)

Do you have Innodrive, or just the ACC ?

Last edited by Benedict14; 10-18-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Don't have Innodrive. Didn't see any real practical use for it. I do have ACC.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Chris 911
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a similar experience, although with steering wheel taking action in a Tesla model S. In a tunnel, Bus in the middle lane did not keep it’s lane properly (no Autopilot or Self driving engaged). Placed the car far to the right in the right lane to avoid the bus. As the car thought I was too close to the tunnel wall, the anti-collision intervened, and steered the car towards the bus. Was able to countersteer and avoid the bus by a couple of inches. Problem in the Tesla is that these systems are not possible to shut off. Similar incident has happened a couple of times, and really shows that you have to keep both hands on steering wheel and be very alert (kind of ironic that they also have “autopilot” and “self driving” systems marketed).

These driver’s aids can sometimes help, but are very premature at this stage. I would prefer not having them, and the experience from Tesla shows they are at least some 5-7 years away in getting self driving. Anti-collision, maybe it will be better in 3-5 years...

Can this be completely disabled in the Porsche? I have a deposit on a Taycan, and thinking of changing the Tesla to a Panamera
Old 10-20-2018, 04:21 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris 911
Had a similar experience, although with steering wheel taking action in a Tesla model S. In a tunnel, Bus in the middle lane did not keep it’s lane properly (no Autopilot or Self driving engaged). Placed the car far to the right in the right lane to avoid the bus. As the car thought I was too close to the tunnel wall, the anti-collision intervened, and steered the car towards the bus. Was able to countersteer and avoid the bus by a couple of inches. Problem in the Tesla is that these systems are not possible to shut off. Similar incident has happened a couple of times, and really shows that you have to keep both hands on steering wheel and be very alert (kind of ironic that they also have “autopilot” and “self driving” systems marketed).

These driver’s aids can sometimes help, but are very premature at this stage. I would prefer not having them, and the experience from Tesla shows they are at least some 5-7 years away in getting self driving. Anti-collision, maybe it will be better in 3-5 years...

Can this be completely disabled in the Porsche? I have a deposit on a Taycan, and thinking of changing the Tesla to a Panamera

The default in my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid is that these emergency-braking systems are off, as far as I can tell. What does happen, if they are off, is that I'll still get a warning tone and sign in the instrument panel if I get "too close" to something "suddenly" -- which I'm sometimes baffled by. Happens maybe once or twice a week, but no emergency braking as far as I can tell -- just gets me looking more closely to see if I'm missing something (and I haven't yet -- I'm a pretty alert driver, which is why I drive Porsches).

I got the Innodrive in the Driver Assistance Package, not because I wanted it (I don't), but simply because it was cheaper than getting the two other things that I did want in that package separately (ACC and night-vision infrared camera, both of which I have used a lot). I've not yet used Innodrive -- have no desire to try, so I just keep it off. I think you have to go into a menu to enable it. I test-drove some Volvos in the past year with their version of "Innodrive", and I found them horrible and jerky in terms of trying to keep within lanes -- so annoying that after a couple of attempts with two different vehicles just to turn the thing off. I have no faith in such "Innodrive" systems in any other brands' cars, either.

I don't use ACC much "around town" on a daily basis, but I use it extensively on any trips longer than an hour or so -- and I really love the ACC. As I wrote in my thread on my 7600-mile trip a couple months ago, it worked extremely well -- only turning off suddenly once in that 2.5-week span when the sensors got really dirty (resolved as soon as I cleaned the front sensors), and having the occasional braking blip when a car in the adjacent lane on an expressway got too close to the line separating our lanes (or sometimes in a strong curve on an expressway, where the ACC sensed the vehicle in the next lane over was too close to straight ahead for comfort -- although I think that the software allows for wheel turning, so it doesn't happen a lot). As far as Saratoga's experience, I think that's good to know generally for all of us who use ACC, to be extra alert for that kind of thing; yes, you can immediately put your foot on the accelerator pedal and it will disengage the ACC control, and I've done that sometimes when a passing car cut closely in front of me and my car braked a bit too abruptly. But overall, I find the Panamera ACC to be better than in other brands' cars I've driven (Volvos, Toyota Avalon) in the past year.

The brake lights do come on when you're in ACC and the car suddenly slows down (I've seen reflections of my brake lights behind me at night to confirm this), but I can't find any information from Porsche as to exactly what threshold causes the brake lights to come on. Surely they don't come on if you are behind a car going 1 mph slower than you are, and your speed goes down 1 mph. But I don't know for sure. Does anybody else know what limits there are to the rear brake lights coming on when slowing down via ACC?

Last edited by cometguy; 10-20-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:30 AM
socalcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This just happened to me today on the 405; the system was fooled by a mylar balloon on the highway and it drifted into my lane. Car suddenly started applying brakes and tighten the seat beat. I was lucky the car behind me was able to brake/slow down in time. Really freaked me out and immediately disabled the Porsche assistance system.

Edited: I was not on cruise control.

Last edited by socalcarguy; 06-11-2023 at 03:32 AM.

Quick Reply: My Car Almost Caused An Accident!!