Panamera 2010-Current

Had a bit of a scare

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:21 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Had a bit of a scare

So the family and I head over the mountains to get some supplies before winter sets in, my daughter also wanted to get to the Children's Museum.
Drive there Friday afternoon is smooth, the Panamera quite at home on the twist mountain roads,traffic was light. get up nice and early Sat morning. head to the museum.
After 3 hours there we come out and try to get int the car - it wont unlock! (car has Enter & drive) sinking feeling in the gut.
At first I'm thinking the Battery in the fob is getting bad.
Break out the emergency hard key, open the door, car not recognizing the key! Wont let me start it. finally after sitting in the car for a minute while trying yo think of what to do it recognizes the key again.
we still need to make a couple more stops, key works fine, then I remember reading about some having issues with the key not being recognized in certain situations.
I had parked right next to a large shipping container, thinking that may have played a roll as I had no more problems after that.

other than that one little moment, the car ran beautifully, fantastic drive.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:52 AM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Did you try placing the key in the storage compartment of the console?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Konigstiger
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you were able to get it started in the end. Battery in the key fob need replacing?

Wrt doors not unlocking, probably not your case but Porsche are known to have failure prone door lock actuators (or whatever they’re called). I think issues are most prominent in Cayennes and Panameras. (My rear passenger side will probably go soon...)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:00 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knowspin
Did you try placing the key in the storage compartment of the console?
didn't try that - is there a reason to?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

When you get in the car, if the E&D system won't recognize the key, cycling the stub in the ignition slot twice will allow you remove it (the stub or dummy key or whatever).

Then stick your actual key in the ignition. Car will start and operate as if you didn't have E&D.

Had a similar issue with my Cayenne after buying an aftermarket (Amazon) colored key cover. It interfered with the key's antenna and the car would only recognize the key 50% of the time. Had to utilize this emergency method before figuring out it was the damn key cover.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:30 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Thanks Hacked, i knew there was a way to remove the dummy key, just couldn't remember what it was LOL

I'll have to go give this a try and make it burned into my memory just in case it happens again
Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 PM
knowspin
Racer

Originally Posted by DogWood
didn't try that - is there a reason to?
Hey Dog, this is like a parallel universe.

For other's reference, it's in the manual, page 246
Old 10-15-2018, 07:20 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

:-)

figured I'd respond on both as not everyone uses both :-)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 PM
knowspin
Racer

Yup!
Old 10-17-2018, 02:10 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
When you get in the car, if the E&D system won't recognize the key, cycling the stub in the ignition slot twice will allow you remove it (the stub or dummy key or whatever).

Then stick your actual key in the ignition. Car will start and operate as if you didn't have E&D.

Had a similar issue with my Cayenne after buying an aftermarket (Amazon) colored key cover. It interfered with the key's antenna and the car would only recognize the key 50% of the time. Had to utilize this emergency method before figuring out it was the damn key cover.
Gave the removal a try last night, worked beautifully, nice audible click when it unlocks the dummy key (and I have bad hearing)

Quick Reply: Had a bit of a scare