Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera & Apple CarPlay Issue

Old 12-03-2018, 04:17 PM
BradleyCB
Track Day

Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up trying a quick fix instead of taking my car back to the dealership. Essentially I had the car's PCM system forget my iPhone, reinstalled my phone to the system, and proceeded from there. It seems to work much better now. I do, however, still have a problem from time to time where my car won't automatically switch to my iPhone when I have it connected. Still, I will gladly take that problem over having the car decide to randomly stop playing music from my iPhone while I'm driving around.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:51 AM
Joby
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I think after driving my second 1700 miles, I have figured out why the Apple Car Play at times switches to the PCM. I noticed when I went through desert areas while driving to Az from CA, once the cars SIM lost connection, then it automatically switches the UI to the PCM UI. I watched this happen about 6x. Not sure why that would happen, but somehow when the PCM loses its signal it defaults to a non-signal state and ejects the Apple Car Play UI.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:58 AM
Joby
Advanced

Default Apple Car Play, auto switching to PCM UI

Apple Car PLay, auto switching to PCM UI - I think I have found out why this may occur to some people and others not having the issue. It has to to do with the SIM card in the car and it's connection to AT&T. If the sim card loses connection, it boots you out of Apple Car PLay and into the standard PCM UI. I know the SIM has nothing to do with Car Play, but for some reason when the SIM loses it's signal the PCM switches to a non-connected state and closes the Apple Car Play screen. I saw this happen about 6x while driving from CA to AZ and back. All in all, it happened exactly when signals dropped. Hence why I lost the Apple Car Play screen about 50x throughout the 1800 trip.
The following users liked this post:
charleyk874 (02-02-2023)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:06 AM
petelp
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joby
Apple Car PLay, auto switching to PCM UI - I think I have found out why this may occur to some people and others not having the issue. It has to to do with the SIM card in the car and it's connection to AT&T. If the sim card loses connection, it boots you out of Apple Car PLay and into the standard PCM UI. I know the SIM has nothing to do with Car Play, but for some reason when the SIM loses it's signal the PCM switches to a non-connected state and closes the Apple Car Play screen. I saw this happen about 6x while driving from CA to AZ and back. All in all, it happened exactly when signals dropped. Hence why I lost the Apple Car Play screen about 50x throughout the 1800 trip.
I like that thought. I had suggested earlier that I felt it may have happened a couple of times with a panny rental when my phone was getting poor service, which is quite similar. What gives you the sense that’s it’s the sim connection rather than the phone connection. They’re usually bad at the same time, especially if they’re both on the same carrier. So it would be hard to distinguish between them as a problem source. Just wondering.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:45 AM
J Reid
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I left the dealer about 2 weeks ago with my new car, I had an aftermarket lightning cable and it did all sorts of weird stuff. As soon as I put a apple branded lightning cable in the car it worked much better. It does mention using only an OEM Apple cable in the owner's manual
Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by petelp

I like that thought. I had suggested earlier that I felt it may have happened a couple of times with a panny rental when my phone was getting poor service, which is quite similar. What gives you the sense that’s it’s the sim connection rather than the phone connection. They’re usually bad at the same time, especially if they’re both on the same carrier. So it would be hard to distinguish between them as a problem source. Just wondering.
If that's correct it's bad news for me as my area has spotty AT&T coverage.

Originally Posted by J Reid
When I left the dealer about 2 weeks ago with my new car, I had an aftermarket lightning cable and it did all sorts of weird stuff. As soon as I put a apple branded lightning cable in the car it worked much better. It does mention using only an OEM Apple cable in the owner's manual
Interesting. I hate stuff like this, but, sometimes simple things are the answer even though they shouldn't be.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Joby
Advanced

So for me I have Verizon as my cell phone carrier and ATT for the SIM card in the car so I do see drop out from the Sim in the car that then pushes the PCM to main menu while I have no drop out from my phone connected to the PCM. So for me this is a SIM card drop issue where it basically resets the pcm to default main screen.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:10 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

So for me I have Verizon as my cell phone carrier and ATT for the SIM card in the car so I do see drop out from the Sim in the car that then pushes the PCM to main menu while I have no drop out from my phone connected to the PCM. So for me this is a SIM card drop issue where it basically resets the pcm to default main screen.
Did you try the "keep the PCM widget in the right hand space while using CarPlay" to see if that workaround is successful for you?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 PM
Joby
Advanced

It’s more stable with the right widget given I think that assumes the default pcm screen logic per my previous thread. Ultimately if using CarPlay then the widget should auto populate to the right vs it being manual.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM
petelp
Advanced

To add a data point to this discussion. I have not had a single instance of unwanted shifting to the main screen from the CarPlay screen since receiving my 2018 4S in early October. As I mentioned, it HAD happened to me a couple of time with a weekend rental of a 2017 base panny.

I’ve been to all the same locations, using the same cell service
Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Joby
Advanced

What type of iPhone?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:39 PM
petelp
Advanced

What type of iPhone?
When I picked up the car I had an iPhone X, which I continued to use for a couple of months. I then switched to an iPhone XS Max, which I've been using since. I use AT&T exclusively.

Zero CarPlay problems with either iPhone in this car. I had the iPhone X when I previously had problems, on a base Panny rental in early October, with CarPlay switching to the home screen
Old 02-12-2019, 11:43 PM
Joby
Advanced

I have iPhone XS Max but have the issue. I get my car back tomorrow and they said they did some reprogramming and saw some faults in connections supposedly. Not sure what that means but will find out.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Joby
Advanced

SO I got my car back from the dealer and they said they did not update the PCM, but instead cleared out a bunch of fault errors. However the system functions differently. For example, I got into the car and connected my iPhone and the iPhone screen showed up on the UI but the right widget also automated and comes out when your in Car Play. This has never occurred in the 6 months I have had the car. Do others have this occur when they enter Car Play? I will take a photo to show the software version, I stupidly did not take a photo of the version I had previously.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Joby
Advanced

Update: PCM worked for 1 day and then same errors occurred with iPhone. I truly think it's an iPhone compatibility issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera & Apple CarPlay Issue