Panamera 2010-Current

question about the automatic chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 02:10 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about the automatic chassis

When I park and leave the car, lock it, I hear the chassis adjust the car... usually more down. Why does it do that? How can I stop that from happening? I don't change modes (sport/sport plus) or the chassis height when driving..

Can I just turn off the chassis by holding the button for 10 seconds when it's in the high position to keep it permanently like that? I'm trying to extend the compressor and air shock bag life... they're hella expensive to replace. Is there anything bad that can happen from leaving it off in the normal position?

thanks!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:41 AM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

good question and I would like to know the answer as well
Old 09-26-2018, 05:44 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

The chassis adjusts because the car knows how much weight is on the wheels at all times, and if it is on flat or on incline.
So when you get in, (assuming it is only you) chassis will be adjusted to be level, based on driver weight only. If more people get in, same happens but car is adjusted to be level based on all occupants.

After you get out of the car, it senses less weight on driver side, and adjusts the chassis to lower car since you removed weight from the car. No way to change this. It is done automatically.
It is a good thing the car is doing it.

Originally Posted by SubzeroX
When I park and leave the car, lock it, I hear the chassis adjust the car... usually more down. Why does it do that? How can I stop that from happening? I don't change modes (sport/sport plus) or the chassis height when driving..

Can I just turn off the chassis by holding the button for 10 seconds when it's in the high position to keep it permanently like that? I'm trying to extend the compressor and air shock bag life... they're hella expensive to replace. Is there anything bad that can happen from leaving it off in the normal position?

thanks!
Old 09-27-2018, 04:22 PM
rthruska
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ciaka
The chassis adjusts because the car knows how much weight is on the wheels at all times, and if it is on flat or on incline.
So when you get in, (assuming it is only you) chassis will be adjusted to be level, based on driver weight only. If more people get in, same happens but car is adjusted to be level based on all occupants.

After you get out of the car, it senses less weight on driver side, and adjusts the chassis to lower car since you removed weight from the car. No way to change this. It is done automatically.
It is a good thing the car is doing it.
I had the same questions as the OP so thanks for explaining this. I don't really understand why the adjustment is necessary when it will likely be the same person/same weight getting back in the car again. If there was a way to stop this adjustment after turning the car off and getting out, I would do it.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:35 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the same thing about the seats......nice to have it move up and back every time I get in and out of the car, but what will it do to its longevity. So I do turn it off during the week when I'm the only one driving the car. Of course with the suspension I suspect its more complicated then just one time adjustment for the passenger weight, but is probably dynamically making adjustments all the time while you are driving. So letting the air out, or doing one last adjustment when the key is turned off probably doesn't amount to much of a duty cycle relative to all the time when you're driving. So if you were able to turn it off at that point, you're probably really not saving much. Just a guess anyway.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:34 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Actually, you CAN turn off the air chassis by pressing and holding the button for 10 seconds. This enables mechanics to raise the car on the lift without the chassis going haywire. Can't you just disable it at the height you want and leave it disabled?
Old 09-27-2018, 10:40 PM
ciaka
Racer

The adjustment is a dynamic process, being measured all the time. So car adjusts the chassis when it detects weight shift. No big deal. Just enjoy the car with awesome suspension.

Originally Posted by rthruska
I had the same questions as the OP so thanks for explaining this. I don't really understand why the adjustment is necessary when it will likely be the same person/same weight getting back in the car again. If there was a way to stop this adjustment after turning the car off and getting out, I would do it.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:44 PM
ciaka
Racer

Respectfully would disagree. While suspension can be turned off by pressing raise button for 10 seconds, as soon as car starts driving, this will enable automatically. So if you disable, then drive, car is back to dynamic monitoring of all aspects of the chassis condition.
Your general statement of suspension disable is correct, hold raise button for at least 10 seconds. However you would have to stay in car for at least 10 s pressing the button before you get out, and next time you get in and start driving, suspension is enabled, making you hold the button again 10s before you leave the car again.

Originally Posted by SubzeroX
Actually, you CAN turn off the air chassis by pressing and holding the button for 10 seconds. This enables mechanics to raise the car on the lift without the chassis going haywire. Can't you just disable it at the height you want and leave it disabled?
Old 09-27-2018, 10:47 PM
ciaka
Racer

It is really not a big deal, car monitoring real time if any place in car is shifted due to weight change. IMO just be aware it does this, and let the car do what it does so well, adjust. Most of the time it is an adjustment that lowers the suspension, so all that happens is valves open to drain some air. No biggie, no air compressor work involved.
You should check your front air suspension shocks for leaks as that will be the biggest factor in compressor burning out. With weather getting colder, heading into fall and winter, pressure in shocks will decrease, exacerbating air suspension leaks. I would recommend you tackle leaks now, beat the weather to the job.
Enjoy your car.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:37 PM
rthruska
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ciaka
The adjustment is a dynamic process, being measured all the time. So car adjusts the chassis when it detects weight shift. No big deal. Just enjoy the car with awesome suspension.

Good advice. Done!
Old 09-28-2018, 04:33 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

IF you saw the testing they did to Porsche cars, you wouldn't worry about using the automatic entry adjustments for steering and the seats. Its not going to wear out.

That doesn't mean things don't fail. Things are NEVER perfect, I'm just saying that you're not going to wear it out by using it. If its going to malfunction, how much you use it probably isn't a factor - use and enjoy it. That's the whole point.

Quick Reply: question about the automatic chassis