Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

All Wheel Drive Fault

Old 09-24-2018, 10:14 PM
swdea
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Wheel Drive Fault

For a few months my car has intermittently flashed the "Fault All-wheel Drive" warning symbol in my dash display. I don't discern anything different when driving the car and it the light will go on and off and sometimes stay off for many weeks. I have my car in at the dealer's for the 60K mile service and the service rep is saying I need 6 new engine coils. I am uneducated when it comes to the mechanics of my car but it seems odd to me that engine coils would be related to an all-wheel drive fault. Can anyone shed any light?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:56 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 40 Posts

Very hard to say what it is. If you took it to a mechanic that services porsche cars and Panameras specifically, they would have a PIWIS2 system, that they would use to download all service codes from your car (each code referring to something your car would need to fix).
By way you said it, appears they may not be porsche mechanics. At this time they are saying your car needs ignition coils because old ones are worn out.

By the way, it is possible for ignition coils to stimulate transmission and other PASM related issues. It is because coils must function properly, in order for your car to be in a sport or sport plus mode.
Each mode scans through all related sub systems to make sure they are healthy before engaging that system.
So if your coils are used up, they will throw codes on your car, car will know coils are bad, and will prevent entry into a more sporty or higher performance mode.
Preventing this mode change, in turn will stimulate other codes, such as PASM, transmission limiting, etc, because car thinks it cannot change modes for a valid reason, which in turn prevents car from changing other aspects, and that in turn throws up more codes into your car.

Giving you example, I was replacing coils last weekend with brand new, genuine. No codes before replace.
No codes after replace. Took car for spin. All working great until I change mode to sport or sport plus.
Within seconds of activating either, and while I accelerate, i get transmission errors, PASM errors, No auto stop, limited engine power, etc.
Get back home, pull codes with diagnostic program, observe error in the engine P2323. Translate to an issue on coil H.
What was coil H? H is equivalent to #8, as in cylinder 8. I was replacing coils on cylinders 5-8.
Took new coil out of engine on cyl. 8. Installed old one. Cleared all codes in car. Go back for drive, in sport plus mode. No errors at all.
Even did launch control start later. no codes. Turns out the coil is bad and is getting replaced.
So when you diagnose, it is particularly useful knowing what was being done with car before you started driving, and what you were trying to do with car as you started driving.
Hope this helps you out.

Returning back to your fault all wheel drive, I have seen this on Cayennes, older ones. This code meant that the stepper motor that was powering on during the car start, was moving sluggish, triggering such code.
Unless shop has no porsche specific diagnostic, they wont be able to tell you specifically what is wrong with your car differential wise.
invest in diagnostic cable and sw. Will get your money worth hundreds of times over.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 PM
swdea
AutoX

Originally Posted by ciaka
Very hard to say what it is. If you took it to a mechanic that services porsche cars and Panameras specifically, they would have a PIWIS2 system, that they would use to download all service codes from your car (each code referring to something your car would need to fix).
By way you said it, appears they may not be porsche mechanics. At this time they are saying your car needs ignition coils because old ones are worn out.

By the way, it is possible for ignition coils to stimulate transmission and other PASM related issues. It is because coils must function properly, in order for your car to be in a sport or sport plus mode.
Each mode scans through all related sub systems to make sure they are healthy before engaging that system.
So if your coils are used up, they will throw codes on your car, car will know coils are bad, and will prevent entry into a more sporty or higher performance mode.
Preventing this mode change, in turn will stimulate other codes, such as PASM, transmission limiting, etc, because car thinks it cannot change modes for a valid reason, which in turn prevents car from changing other aspects, and that in turn throws up more codes into your car.

Giving you example, I was replacing coils last weekend with brand new, genuine. No codes before replace.
No codes after replace. Took car for spin. All working great until I change mode to sport or sport plus.
Within seconds of activating either, and while I accelerate, i get transmission errors, PASM errors, No auto stop, limited engine power, etc.
Get back home, pull codes with diagnostic program, observe error in the engine P2323. Translate to an issue on coil H.
What was coil H? H is equivalent to #8, as in cylinder 8. I was replacing coils on cylinders 5-8.
Took new coil out of engine on cyl. 8. Installed old one. Cleared all codes in car. Go back for drive, in sport plus mode. No errors at all.
Even did launch control start later. no codes. Turns out the coil is bad and is getting replaced.
So when you diagnose, it is particularly useful knowing what was being done with car before you started driving, and what you were trying to do with car as you started driving.
Hope this helps you out.

Returning back to your fault all wheel drive, I have seen this on Cayennes, older ones. This code meant that the stepper motor that was powering on during the car start, was moving sluggish, triggering such code.
Unless shop has no porsche specific diagnostic, they wont be able to tell you specifically what is wrong with your car differential wise.
invest in diagnostic cable and sw. Will get your money worth hundreds of times over.
The car is at an authorized Porsche dealer service department. The coils were replaced under warranty in February 2017. Now the car is out of warranty and it seems strange the coils would be bad so soon. The service rep is trying to get Porsche to pay for most of the cost due to the fact the coils were replaced so recently.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:11 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 40 Posts

What was final fix? Updates are always appreciated.
From what I remember, turbo (my sub model) plugs/coils service is at 30k miles or 45,000km.
If you had the plugs replaced, coils should have been replaced with them. If only plungs done, they may be ok but coils maybe overdue.

Hope it was all resolved ok.

Originally Posted by swdea
The car is at an authorized Porsche dealer service department. The coils were replaced under warranty in February 2017. Now the car is out of warranty and it seems strange the coils would be bad so soon. The service rep is trying to get Porsche to pay for most of the cost due to the fact the coils were replaced so recently.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:45 AM
swdea
AutoX

Originally Posted by ciaka
What was final fix? Updates are always appreciated.
From what I remember, turbo (my sub model) plugs/coils service is at 30k miles or 45,000km.
If you had the plugs replaced, coils should have been replaced with them. If only plungs done, they may be ok but coils maybe overdue.

Hope it was all resolved ok.
They replaced all six coils and I pick up the car tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All Wheel Drive Fault