Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:11 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Panamera Turbo
911 GT3 Touring
Mercedes Benz G63 AMG

I'd go with these in that order. With the Panamera being the first choice.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:27 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

If you need 4 seats, Ferrari FF. If you don't, 2015 Porsche GT3...T
Old 09-23-2018, 12:11 AM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

just researched the Ferrari FF. wtf this car looks like a clown shoe lol. the price tag is great for a Ferrari though and you do get pretty much the 2nd or 1st best engine note on any car you can buy today
Old 09-26-2018, 01:39 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by SillyGoose
just researched the Ferrari FF. wtf this car looks like a clown shoe lol. the price tag is great for a Ferrari though and you do get pretty much the 2nd or 1st best engine note on any car you can buy today
i would say the FF certainly looks as good as, if not better, than either generation of panamera. personally, i love the look. if i were at that price point, the FF would certainly be a top consideration, but it is far more 'flashy' than the panamera - even if just based on Ferrari recognition. if the FF is a clown shoe (the BMW M-coupe is the true clown shoe), than I'm happy to drive a clown shoe proudly.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FF is also very rare. There's a few in my town. They look far, far better in person than pics.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:45 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i would say the FF certainly looks as good as, if not better, than either generation of panamera. personally, i love the look. if i were at that price point, the FF would certainly be a top consideration, but it is far more 'flashy' than the panamera - even if just based on Ferrari recognition. if the FF is a clown shoe (the BMW M-coupe is the true clown shoe), than I'm happy to drive a clown shoe proudly.
I think it is hard to compare it to the Panamera because the only thing they have in common are 4 seats and in the case of the Sport Turismo, both are shooting brakes. The big V12 in a mid-front configuration, a one-of-a-kind AWD system, and an absolutely gorgeous interior means I would happily drive a clown shoe. Ferrari is getting really good at delivering daily drivers, the only aspect of the FF that makes it a challenge is parking. The doors are very large and the front end is so long that it’s a bit challenging.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:48 PM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by cometguy
I think that Porsche makes the best-driving-and-most-reliable-and-best-made (combined assets, I mean, not separate) 4-door cars on the planet.
Personally, I'd only opt for something less expensive in another brand, not something equally or more expensive. I personally don't think any cars are worth more than about $60k except for Porsches, meaning I'll only buy a non-Porsche if it's under about $60k.
I don’t mean to be rude but your comment makes no sense at all. You are conflating worth, value, and utility. The Panamera is a fantastic 4 door but there are many other 4 door cars that are equally fantastic when viewed through the lens of the owner. $60 seems so arbitrary, how did you arrive at that number?
Old 09-26-2018, 02:19 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan

I don’t mean to be rude but your comment makes no sense at all. You are conflating worth, value, and utility. The Panamera is a fantastic 4 door but there are many other 4 door cars that are equally fantastic when viewed through the lens of the owner. $60 seems so arbitrary, how did you arrive at that number?
Well, this is all subjective; everybody has their view of what's worth a certain amount of money and what's not. My personal take is just that most cars over $60k aren't worth it, outside of Porsche. I won't buy a Volvo or a BMW or a Mercedes or an Audi or a Ferrari, etc., over $60k. That's my personal draw line. I just don't think that brands other than Porsche deserve my personal money over the $60k mark, that's all. It's like fine wine; at some point, most people will say that a $75 bottle of wine just isn't THAT much better than a $35 bottle that's it's worth spending the money on. Many people at Rennlist obviously have higher levels in what's "worth it" in cars than I do, and I recognize that I'm unusual in that manner as a Porsche owner. I bought a brand new Panamera, but I'd never spend that kind of money on anything other than a Porsche; other cars don't impress me like Porsches do.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:10 PM
jnolan
Pro

ok, thanks for sharing

Well, this is all subjective; everybody has their view of what's worth a certain amount of money and what's not. My personal take is just that most cars over $60k aren't worth it, outside of Porsche. I won't buy a Volvo or a BMW or a Mercedes or an Audi or a Ferrari, etc., over $60k. That's my personal draw line. I just don't think that brands other than Porsche deserve my personal money over the $60k mark, that's all. It's like fine wine; at some point, most people will say that a $75 bottle of wine just isn't THAT much better than a $35 bottle that's it's worth spending the money on. Many people at Rennlist obviously have higher levels in what's "worth it" in cars than I do, and I recognize that I'm unusual in that manner as a Porsche owner. I bought a brand new Panamera, but I'd never spend that kind of money on anything other than a Porsche; other cars don't impress me like Porsches do.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:12 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

You are not alone. I feel the same way and I happen to have the same $60k threshold.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:54 PM
Santa Cruz Red
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Small cottage in the Poipu area of Kauai. I know, I know... not a car, howz bout a trailer?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Josh s
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTC4LUSSO T is a beauty and a "reasonably" priced Ferrari for brand new. I really want to get a Panamera Turbo, but they are completely overpriced!! I live in South Florida and they can't give away the Turbos. Most are on sale on the dealer websites, so I may go with the 2019 AMG GT63 4 door or the 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo for around 135-145K loaded. Loaded Panamera's Turbos are going for over 180K
Old 09-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Josh s
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disregard, last post, GTC4LUSSO is definitely not 180K, more like 280K. S class coupe also an option as well, but the new AMG GT 4 looks beautiful
Old 09-27-2018, 12:04 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh s
GTC4LUSSO T is a beauty and a "reasonably" priced Ferrari for brand new. I really want to get a Panamera Turbo, but they are completely overpriced!! I live in South Florida and they can't give away the Turbos. Most are on sale on the dealer websites, so I may go with the 2019 AMG GT63 4 door or the 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo for around 135-145K loaded. Loaded Panamera's Turbos are going for over 180K
I would wait a little if you really want a turbo. We are about to enter into October. The dealers will have to start moving those turbo's. Expect some aggressive discounts. Especially on the lightly optioned/undesirable color combo'D cars.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:32 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

If you offered me for free a $180k CPO 2014 FF vs. a new $180k Panamera Turbo S, I'd take the latter every time if I were going to drive the car for 3-4 years. If I were going to turn around and sell the car within a year or two, I might take the FF because it will hold high value longer. They'd both be very fun to have as daily drivers.

Quick Reply: If you had $180,000 to buy any new car