Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera email and txt messages on PCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:36 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Panamera email and txt messages on PCM

I asked a few of these questions sometime ago, did not get what I thought was enough detail.
Hoping someone can chime in to clarify more.

Found that one can read txt and email messages on PCM.
Initially thought there is a special way to to pair the cell phone. However after searching, I found I am pairing the phone correctly.

Recently found that to read txt/email, the PCM has to have its SIM card.
Can someone confirm this to me? hard to get details on this.

Also, if the sim card info is true, can I get second sim card for my cell phone so that I dont have to remove one from my phone?
Trying to find a way to make this work without hassles.
Thank you.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

On my 970.2 no additional sim card is needed. I have an android Galaxy S9 that sends the email and text automatically to the PCM. The video below shows the process I use. You can also have the PCM manually refresh by selecting Transfer Messages. I don't recall I had to make any special setting on the android to allow this. What happens when you go through the process shown below?

Old 09-18-2018, 09:49 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked my phone menu on the PCM (mine's a 970.1) to see what is there. No messages button.
Fortunately in my case with a Windows phone the PCM does recognize new texts via Cortana; it appears Cortana sends the text by phoning it in.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

found this bit of info
"In Porsche cars since November 2012 it is possible to transfer SMS and e-mail messages from the mobile phone to PCM.
This function enables the customer to read messages storedin the phone directly on the PCM screen.
To use this feature, the mobile phone must support the Bluetooth®Message Access Profile (MAP)."

found it in here https://www.porsche.dk/globalassets/...munication.pdf

Old 09-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I recently bought a 2018 Panamera 4S (so, a 971). Using an iPhone with iOS 11 installed, I get text message alerts for new messages and can read the new message (or have the PCM read out the message to me). This is just with the phone connected by bluetooth.

In order to get the notification and see the message, you need to have the “Show Notifications” option turned on in the Bluetooth settings of the iPhone for the Panamera (click on the i in the circle to see the option and select it).

You don’t see any prior messages with this and you can’t reply. Just alert for a new message and read the message. If you want to be able to reply, etc., you have to use Apple CarPlay.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

I have a 2018 Panamera 4S and use an iPhone. With the phone connected just by bluetooth, I get notified of new texts (no email — believe this is a limitation of the iPhone/iOS). When I get a text, I can read it or have the PCM read it out to me. I can't respond or take any other action (again, I believe this is an iPhone/iOS limitation). If you want to be able to respond to texts with an iPhone, you have to use Apple CarPlay (i.e., physical USB connection to the PCM in the center console).

Also, one last important thing if you want to get texts on an iPhone with just a Bluetooth connection, you need to make sure that the Bluetooth settings on your phone are set up correctly. In those settings, you’ll see a listing of devices that the phone is paired with, including the Panamera. Click on the i in the circle beside the Panamera listing and you should get some options, including one to “Show Notifications”. Make sure to toggle the Show Notifications to the on position.

If you are using an iPhone, hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:58 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

I have a 2018 Panamera and an iPhone. Get notification of new text messages when the phone is connected to the PCM by Bluetooth. When message appears, the pcm will read it out to me if car is moving (pcm won’t let me read the message if car is moving, but will if stopped). No ability to reply to message or take any other action. Phone needs to be physically connected by USB to do that via Apple CarPlay.

Make sure notifications are set to “On” in Bluetooth settings on the iPhone for the Panamera to get this functionality.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:22 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was manufactured in June 2012. I presume that the November 2012 date would have to do with updated PCM version.....which leads to the next question- are you able to/need to update the PCM from time to time like other devices?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:46 PM
ciaka
Racer

My car is PTT 2011.
Small car lover, what year is yours? Maybe my PCM FW does not have this capability? Would hate to have to go to dealer and get charged 1K to have this.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:48 PM
ciaka
Racer

PIWIS2 is the only diag I know that can allow FW updates on all subsystems that can have it updated. PCM is one of those. So dealer is only place this can be done, unless someone has the tool privately.
maybe I can do some crowd funding to get the tool and keep doing those DIYs, and could help locals too. Heard from someone this can be had if connected.

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
Mine was manufactured in June 2012. I presume that the November 2012 date would have to do with updated PCM version.....which leads to the next question- are you able to/need to update the PCM from time to time like other devices?
Old 09-20-2018, 04:29 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaka
My car is PTT 2011.
Small car lover, what year is yours? Maybe my PCM FW does not have this capability? Would hate to have to go to dealer and get charged 1K to have this.
My car is a 2014, so a 970.2. I believe the PCM was updated somewhere around 2014. I'm not totally sure but I suspect you are correct. Your PCM may not have that capability. I think you have PCM 3.0. I do know in the 911 the PCM was updated with the 991 model which came out as a 2012. I think you have the same PCM that is in 997.2/987.2 cars. I don't think those versions of the PCM did the text/email transfer. My 987.2 only has a CDR30 radio. My 2014 970.2 has PCM 3.1 which I believe was the first version to support the text/email functions. As I look into this more the panamera 2010-2013 all use the PCM 3.0. That said, the link below is a page from the PCM 3.0 manual for the 2010-2013 PCM which indicates SMS text transfer for PCM "with PCM telephone only". I suspect that is referring to a optional telephone module. That was an option that allowed the PCM to function as a telephone. I don't know if the PCM 3.0 phone module supported SAP (Sim Access Profile) which allows access to the SIM through the Bluetooth connection. I know the 3.1 PCM phone module (option 669) supports this. My PCM 3.1 does not have option 669 but it does support SMS/email transfer.

I'm not really sure if I provided any clarity after all that.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...Emergency-call

This thread seems to indicate the PCM 3.0 required the phone module for SMS. It also suggests the PCM3.0 phone module option code was 666. I'm having a devil of a time verifying that however

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...success-2.html

Quick Reply: Panamera email and txt messages on PCM