Chassis failure message

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 04:59 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chassis failure message

Re P4S 2010 :
I've been getting "chassis system failure" readout for a while and a restart would always clear the message. Yesterday I had the message appear again and this time it wouldn't clear with restarts. Drove the car home without noticing anything unusual in the ride or handling. The car ride height was normal in comfort setting. I restarted the car, didn't see the message so exercised the suspension and this time I got a new message " suspension extremely low" and it was, I couldn't hear the compressor run and the car is very low.
So now I have two questions, can I safely drive it to my local shop in this condition ( a few miles on good roads ) and any suggestions for what to look for. I did check the 40 amp fuse and it's good.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:10 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I got this message too a few months ago. It turned out to be a compressor failure. I was advised by my dealer not to drive it. I had it flat bedded to the dealer and had the compressor and relay replaced (luckily under CPO warranty....would have been $2k plus....).
Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

To me sounds like your suspension is failing in lifting car, and/or maintaining the height after it is raised.
The suspension failure message will not clear unless it is reset with Durametric/PISIS2, etc, and will return if car detects too low condition again.

I would definitely check your front air shocks (most likely culprit). Spray top connectors of shock with soapy water. You will see bubbles, that is the leak.
It is possible your suspension may also leak at the valve block (under rear bumper, near exhaust tip.
Also, the compressor may be on way out.

Check for leaks with soap first on shocks and block. If you do not hear compressor kick in, compressor may be already done in.
Good luck.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:32 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

your dealer would have charged you 2k for compressor replace? Wow, that is rape.
You can get new compressor for 650, remanufactured one for 350-400.
If you turn the wrench, it would cost you maybe 3 hours of work (disable suspension, lift back of car up, disconnect wires, replace compressor, put it all back again).

Originally Posted by 911Jeff
I got this message too ....would have been $2k plus....).
Old 07-16-2020, 11:33 AM
Beastmd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks

Quick Reply: Chassis failure message