Looking to buy '12 PTT - service records

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:00 AM
Steverin06
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy '12 PTT - service records

Gents,

I'm in the market for a PTT/S or PGTS. This one in particular had the well-known front end clunk. Please see the attachments for the diagnosis and remedies.

Does anyone know if these control arm parts: 970-341-051-10 and 970-341-054-04 for left and right, include the newer version HD bushings? I want to prevent from having to replace these gain.

Also attached is a brake job they did - are warped rotors typical?

All attached work was done in mid 2017.

The car is 60k miles. I asked if the 60k service has been performed. This was the response:

"And with regard to servicing, the instrument cluster service counter says “Service” due in 36,400 miles or 1,124 days; “Intermediate Service” due in 16,400 miles or 394 days; and “Oil Change” due in 29 days. These late model Porsche’s don’t need servicing based on exact miles, rather the cars have reminders for major and minor services, as well as one for a basic oil change."

Not sure if I like that answer based on my research - although it appears as though the car has been regularly maintained and they are willing to take it to a great Porsche shop for a PPI. My understanding is anyone can reset the computer.

Thank y'all for your help so far.

Steve
Old 08-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

You want to make sure, by checking the VIN, that its had all applicable recalls. There is a recall on a cam sensor or something, and for the turbo's that blow up.

I can't comment about the front end parts.

There are spark plugs around the 40,000 miles mark depending on miles, and about that time, diff fluids, brakes, PDK services. After than you're good until 60,000 miles. So make sure you can verify that it was ALL done at the 60,000 mark because that is a major service according to the manual. Again model dependent. Just the computer being reset doesn't mean everything was serviced.

Coil packs start to go eventually too. You want to check coolant pipes that are epoxied for cracks, weathering. I'd make sure the brakes have been serviced recently so you're not putting on pad and rotors in another 2000 miles (looks like the front have been replace recently so that's good). Look for any oil in the engine compartment. Sometimes the oil separator goes bad.

If you don't have service records of when those things were performed, I would negotiate fluid changes, all of them, and maybe plugs into the purchase, and if you can't get them for "free" then perhaps at a steep discount. I did that once, and negotiated about half price to get some body work, and services done at half price or less, basically just negotiated the price down. That way you have the records and know that the car has been properly brought up to service. You can also get a PPI which if you're not getting a warranty I would STRONGLY suggest you do.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:41 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you found one yet?? Thinking of selling mine to get new TTS-Hybrid. Current one has almost 29000 miles, and is immaculate. ALL services done this year, including recall.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Santa Cruz Red
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

SBTT... inquiry PM sent.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:23 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Santa Cruz Red---sent PM Monday AM
Old 09-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Steverin06
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I'm still looking.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 PM
SBTT
Instructor

2012 TT GT Silver with Expresso. 28K miles, it is immaculate

Quick Reply: Looking to buy '12 PTT - service records