Panamera 2010-Current

Audi S6 to Panamera 4S ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:23 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Audi S6 to Panamera 4S ?

I almost pulled the trigger on a 911 a couple of times, but it was just barely not practical enough for my needs. My wife kept pushing the Panamera and after a test drive, it does seem like a good mix of family-sedan & some 911 characteristics. So I'm thinking of trading in my 2016 S6 for a Panamera 4S. My only hesitation is if I'll miss the turbo V8? On paper the performance of both cars is very similar, but my S6 definitely felt a little bit stronger. The Turbo is a little bit too pricey for me in terms of what I want to spend right now. Has anyone gone from an S6/S7 into the Panamera 4S? Any regrets?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Faced a somewhat similar situation and decided to go with the Panamera 4S. I don’t have the Panny yet as I custom ordered it. It’s expected to arrive in mid-September. Obviously, can give you a better read after it arrives.

My situation is similar to yours, but your S6 is newer than my 2013 and you may not need to make a move quite as quickly as I decided I needed to as my S6 has almost 90k miles. Considered waiting for the new S6, but that’s probably 9-12 months away for delivery and I didn’t want to wait that long (and in any event will probably use the same engine as in the 4S). Drove the Panamera to see if I liked it, and I did very much. To me power delivery seemed very similar to my S6 (if anything slightly stronger — maybe due to better transmission in their PDK?), and the Porsche felt like a bit more of a drivers car (more planted, especially in the corners). I also found the cabin much more modern (and with higher quality materials) than the current version of the S6 — which, while still nice, feels dated next to the Panny.

I also drove the Panamera Turbo. It’s a great car and definitely faster than the 4S, but I didn’t feel the extra power would be that useable for most street driving, even spirited street driving. You’d never need more than half throttle in the Turbo. The 4S has plenty of power for the street and felt maybe a smidge more nimble given its a bit lighter than the Turbo. Optioned the way I wanted, the Turbo was going to be about $35k more expensive and, for my useage at least, I didn’t feel the extra cash was worth it. Of course, others will definitely feel differently on this and I imagine that, if I got the Turbo, I’d like it very much and, over time, find the extra power something that I couldn’t do without. 😏

For what it’s worth, the following is the build on my 4S. http://www.porsche-code.com/PJH7AE33

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:33 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by Johnboston
Faced a somewhat similar situation and decided to go with the Panamera 4S. I don’t have the Panny yet as I custom ordered it. It’s expected to arrive in mid-September. Obviously, can give you a better read after it arrives.

My situation is similar to yours, but your S6 is newer than my 2013 and you may not need to make a move quite as quickly as I decided I needed to as my S6 has almost 90k miles. Considered waiting for the new S6, but that’s probably 9-12 months away for delivery and I didn’t want to wait that long (and in any event will probably use the same engine as in the 4S). Drove the Panamera to see if I liked it, and I did very much. To me power delivery seemed very similar to my S6 (if anything slightly stronger — maybe due to better transmission in their PDK?), and the Porsche felt like a bit more of a drivers car (more planted, especially in the corners). I also found the cabin much more modern (and with higher quality materials) than the current version of the S6 — which, while still nice, feels dated next to the Panny.

I also drove the Panamera Turbo. It’s a great car and definitely faster than the 4S, but I didn’t feel the extra power would be that useable for most street driving, even spirited street driving. You’d never need more than half throttle in the Turbo. The 4S has plenty of power for the street and felt maybe a smidge more nimble given its a bit lighter than the Turbo. Optioned the way I wanted, the Turbo was going to be about $35k more expensive and, for my useage at least, I didn’t feel the extra cash was worth it. Of course, others will definitely feel differently on this and I imagine that, if I got the Turbo, I’d like it very much and, over time, find the extra power something that I couldn’t do without. 😏

For what it’s worth, the following is the build on my 4S. http://www.porsche-code.com/PJH7AE33

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you for all the info! That's a great build you have! You didn't consider the RS5 (now comes in a 4door with the same engine as the Panamera 4S)?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

Didn’t consider the RS5. Perhaps I should have, but I like more of a true 4-door for my needs and especially the extra space with the hatch back/seats folded of the Panny. Also, just to clarify, I had a brain cramp for some reason as I was typing out my original message and indicated that I have the current S6 — I actually have the S7, but all the info still holds. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 PM
amelen
Pro

Didn’t consider the RS5. Perhaps I should have, but I like more of a true 4-door for my needs and especially the extra space with the hatch back/seats folded of the Panny. Also, just to clarify, I had a brain cramp for some reason as I was typing out my original message and indicated that I have the current S6 — I actually have the S7, but all the info still holds. Sorry for any confusion.
it comes in a "sportsback" now:

https://www.quattrodaily.com/audi-rs...u-s-announced/

Obviously not as prestigious as the Porsche, but also a lot cheaper.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

Interesting. Looks like a great option, especially for the money.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 PM
amelen
Pro

Interesting. Looks like a great option, especially for the money.
lol! this isn't helping with my decision to spend 2x more on the Panamera with the same engine lol
Old 08-22-2018, 10:55 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

RS5 Sport Back would be a good choice.
S7 would be a good choice - more room with the hatch than the S6
A 2014-2015 RS7 would be a good choice
Go drive the Kia Stinger - trust me. For the money its better than the RS5 sport back.

I wouldn't consider the Panamera unless it was a turbo model with all the goodies. Its not just about the motor, the Turbo is also easier to find with all of the active handling options, active roll bars, active air suspension, PTV etc. You want those things otherwise I'm not sure what the Porsche would give you over the others.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:00 AM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
RS5 Sport Back would be a good choice.
S7 would be a good choice - more room with the hatch than the S6
A 2014-2015 RS7 would be a good choice
Go drive the Kia Stinger - trust me. For the money its better than the RS5 sport back.

I wouldn't consider the Panamera unless it was a turbo model with all the goodies. Its not just about the motor, the Turbo is also easier to find with all of the active handling options, active roll bars, active air suspension, PTV etc. You want those things otherwise I'm not sure what the Porsche would give you over the others.
The 4S I'm looking at has every single option - that's the only reason I'm considering it Going from the 4.0T to the 2.9T is still a concern for me (even though both cars have the same performance #'s to 30, 60, etc..).
Old 08-24-2018, 02:57 AM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by amelen
Going from the 4.0T to the 2.9T is still a concern for me (even though both cars have the same performance #'s to 30, 60, etc..).
LOL! I used to own a 2008 C6 S6. 5.4l NA V10 detuned version of the Lambo Gallardo. I really loved that thing. Sound coming out of those quad pipes was just magic. Alas, it was never that quick or handled all that well, and I'd have to feather the throttle if I ever wanted to see anything north of 16 mpg. Dunno about comparing an RS5 Sportback to a Panny. I sold the wife's 2015 A7 to get our 4 e-Hybrid ST, and the Panny is quite a bit wider and a little longer than the A7 from the inside. So an RS5 would be smaller still.

Quick Reply: Audi S6 to Panamera 4S ?