Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Finally Everything Is Perfect!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:48 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Finally Everything Is Perfect!!!

So now everything on my car is working exactly as it should be. Replacing the Homelink module solved the garage door opener problem and it is still working fine. Received the Free Trial Sim card (90 days or 3Gb) through Porsche Connect/AT&T and now my Amazon Music is working perfectly. Not only is it working great but I hear a significant improvement with Amazon Music over Sirius XM. Everything about the sound is improved. Not sure why but it really does sound much better. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever and the car has now met or exceeded all my expectations. Just crossed 3000 miles.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:29 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats!, Glad to hear it all came together.

interesting about Amazon vs XM

from my experience the quality of encoding of the XM music varies greatly, some songs sound fantastic and others sound rather muddy (and this is with poor hearing)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:42 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-12-2018, 09:01 AM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I know that XM seriously compresses their music files, presumably Amazon less so.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
So now everything on my car is working exactly as it should be. Replacing the Homelink module solved the garage door opener problem and it is still working fine. Received the Free Trial Sim card (90 days or 3Gb) through Porsche Connect/AT&T and now my Amazon Music is working perfectly. Not only is it working great but I hear a significant improvement with Amazon Music over Sirius XM. Everything about the sound is improved. Not sure why but it really does sound much better. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever and the car has now met or exceeded all my expectations. Just crossed 3000 miles.
Congratulations Saratoga!!! When I think back to all the issues you have had (I guess mostly minor), especially just getting your car after sitting so long due to EPA Cert, you must be feeling pretty good now having everything in order. I wish you nothing but the best of luck as time goes on and I want to thank-you for all your insightful input offered here. My journey will be starting within the month as my car is sitting on the Emden dock waiting to be shipped. Getting very excited to begin trying out and testing all the features and I am sure I will be reaching out for tips along the way. Have fun and be safe. PanaTJ
Old 08-12-2018, 01:06 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Congratulations Saratoga!!! When I think back to all the issues you have had (I guess mostly minor), especially just getting your car after sitting so long due to EPA Cert, you must be feeling pretty good now having everything in order. I wish you nothing but the best of luck as time goes on and I want to thank-you for all your insightful input offered here. My journey will be starting within the month as my car is sitting on the Emden dock waiting to be shipped. Getting very excited to begin trying out and testing all the features and I am sure I will be reaching out for tips along the way. Have fun and be safe. PanaTJ
Thanks! I have to say AutoGallery and PCNA did a lot to keep me happy and I'm so glad I didn't walk away back in January as I was very close to doing. They really stepped up and made me feel a lot better about the endless delays. Hopefully you will have your car in the next few weeks and all will be perfect!! Looking forward to seeing your photos and impressions.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

I notice Sirius music is not a clean as other services. Spotify is much better
Old 08-13-2018, 01:56 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I notice Sirius music is not a clean as other services. Spotify is much better
I don't have any experience with Spotify but I will investigate it. The sound now coming through from Amazon Music is outstanding and much better than Sirius XM. I signed up for a discounted year of XM ($99) after my free trial ran out and before I got the AT&T Sim card and realized how much better Amazon Music is but now I'm thinking the cost of the XM after the discount wears out will be greater than paying for the AT&T Sim card with unlimited data ($20/month) so most likely I will cancel XM then. Are there any advantages to Spotify over Amazon Music? Are there any advantages to XM that I may be overlooking?
Old 08-13-2018, 02:17 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

Im a prime member but have not tried to use the music service. Spotify has really worked for my music styles. I might have to get a sim for my car now and blow out the sirius
Old 08-13-2018, 02:30 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

the trick with XM is if you want the service is to let it expire, they will then start hitting you with the discounts again, just got an offer for 6 months @ $30
still not going to get it though :-)
Old 08-13-2018, 04:09 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by DogWood
the trick with XM is if you want the service is to let it expire, they will then start hitting you with the discounts again, just got an offer for 6 months @ $30
Yeah, that's the same offer I got except I opted for the 12 month for $99. Now that I've heard the significant difference between Amazon Prime Music and XM I'm probably going to see if I can cancel the XM altogether. I get the Amazon Music free because of my Prime membership which we have because we buy so much stuff through Amazon.

I did check out Spotify but it seems very much like Pandora which means to avoid the ads you have to pay a fee so that doesn't seem to make much sense to me as the quality of the Amazon Prime Music is really outstanding. Also, I don't like the fact you have to agree to allow them to share your information and I'm already getting enough junk emails and soliciting phone calls as it is. I only wish Porsche had been able to get the embedded sim card to work properly so we wouldn't have to buy the AT&T Sim card but the cost for the AT&T card isn't really that bad. I'm wondering if Verizon has a Sim card I could install and get the same results as my cellular plan is with Verizon. Anybody know the answer to this question?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:35 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Originally Posted by DogWood
I have an active XM package from the previous owner in the car I purchased in March. Presumably in my case, one day it will just stop working? Since I'm not the person who's on the account, I guess I won't get any prior notice of impending service interruption and/or subscription offers. I think I like it enough to renew, although playing from the phone works well enough if XM is too pricey.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:18 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

yep once the current subscription expires it will stop working - I think the have some "free" channels, but they are just commercials if I recall correctly
They might know that the car changed hands, I got a notice from them almost as soon as I bought my Pan for my free 30 day demo.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:45 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

well, guess I jinxed myself...my subscription expired yesterday after 5 months of ownership. At least it was the day after I spent 7 hrs in the car on an out and back to Columbus, Ohio. That noontime 6.9.90 sacramento Dead concert on the Grateful Dead channel got me almost all the way home!
Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

LOL, I have a nicely loaded USB memory stick in place as well as 6 CDs loaded, I'm just waiting for it to expire :-)

Quick Reply: Finally Everything Is Perfect!!!