Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera V8 models - PDK trans questions

Old 07-27-2018, 01:23 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Panamera V8 models - PDK trans questions

I have been looking through the service manual. Mine covers 2010-2013, so entire gen 1, 970 vehicles.
The service manual talks about Panamera transmission.
There are 3 kinds for Panamera. Manual, auto non PDK, and PDK. PDK only comes standard on V8 models.

The FSM shows details on servicing the PDK.
These details are - change PDK atf fluid (FFL3), and change the front final drive fluid (Shell TF0751 gear oil).

Recently someone mentioned changing clutches fluid, which they said should be a separate, third fluid for the PDK.
They own different Porsche (911 I think).
I have gone over the FSM multiple times, and wanted to see what the full story is here.
Searching Internet, I see folks talking about Panamera PDK having their wet clutches sealed, means cannot be serviced.

Anyone know the full story on this specific PDK, for Panamera? I mean if you have 911, or boxter, your PDK is different in some aspects.
I am referring to the 7 gear PDK for 970 cars.
Greatly appreciate your information. Want to get to the bottom of this, all the way.

How many different fluids are there for the Panamera PDK 2010-2013?
Are all fluids serviceable on the said Panamera gen?
Are wet clutches on said Panamera gen, sealed?
Old 07-27-2018, 04:30 PM
ciaka
Racer

OK. Got the info, I think it will be very useful for anyone who wants to do PDK service on their Panamera. Kind of long but IMO will be very useful for DIY crowd.

I was really trying to get to the answers, and believe I just go them. This is awesome for anyone with 970 gen 1 Panamera with PDK transmission.
Another forum member was instrumental to getting answers, and I thanked him very much and want him to know its awesome to have fellow forum members who will go an extra mile to find answers for forum members.

Here is the detail. I posted info on PDK fluid change. 2 fluids needed. Someone asked what about the clutch fluid. I was sure there was none. Someone had stated there is one.
After a bunch of searching and another member getting details, I am glad to hear that in fact, on 2010-2013 panamera, PDK has only 2 fluids to change.

Details below. It is kind of long, but if you plan to do PDK service yourself (I recommend very much to save thousands), you will want this info.

1. Porsche Panamera PDK transmission info:
  • ZF is manufacturer of PDK transmission for Porsche
  • They make 2 PDK transmissions - one for mid & rear engine applications, while one specifically made for the Panamera
  • Here is the info dug up from ZF on this topic:
    • "In fact, two separate DCT ranges or 'platforms' have been developed by ZF, both fitted with wet clutches, for use in Porsche's various longitudinal applications. The first is for use in the mid- and rear-engine sports cars (the 911, the Cayman and the Boxster), while a completely different platform has been developed for use in the larger Panamera. For each platform, two different torque options are available, with the 500N.m versions using an 'ND2015' clutch pack, and the 780N.m versions using an 'ND2216' clutch pack, both supplied by ZF Sachs...…

.....In terms of the oil circuit itself, two completely different approaches have been employed for the two platforms. The 7DT45 and 7DT70 have two oil circuits, and hence two different oils; the first is Pentosin FFL-3 for the clutch and hydraulics, and the second is ExxonMobil Mobilube PTX 75W-90 for the gear-set and bevel gear. The oil levels have been kept as low as possible, to reduce churning losses for those moving parts that are immersed in oil. Conversely, the 7DT75 has a single oil circuit and a dry sump (to minimize churning losses), with an 'active lubrication system' to feed oil to each gear-set and clutch. This version uses only the Pentosin FFL-3 lubricant, which was developed exclusively for the ZF DCTs. One of the main reasons for using a single oil circuit is that clutch cooling is required at both ends of the transmission, for the main dual-clutch module and for the hang-on clutch used in the four-wheel-drive variant. This would have presented significant sealing complications had multiple circuits been chosen."
    • What this means is that the Panamera PDK uses transmission design which uses one fluid compartment for the gearbox and the clutches, and another separate compartment for the final drive

2. MY 2010-2013 Panamera PDK transmission service details:
PDK on Porsche Panamera models 970, MY2010-2013, has 2 fluid compartments that need service. Other Porsche models employ different PDK transmission, which requires 3 compartments
To service your Panamera PDK:
  • Fluids needed
    • Pentosin - FFL3 - about 9 quarts
    • Front final drive - Shell TF0951 - change quantity 0.425 liter (a bit less than half a quart)
      • I was able to cross reference this to Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic gear oil 75W-90
  • Service process:
    • PDK gearbox/clutches:
      • Use FFL3 fluid
      • While car level, drain via drain plug, pour in via inspection plug, run through gears few times while PDK at 40C (may not be required), when temp reached, make sure fluid topped up to fill hole (fluid leaking out the fill hole means PDK is filled)
    • Front final drive:
      • Use Shell TF0951
      • I cross referenced to Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic gear oil 75W-90 (that is what I used in my change)
      • While car level, drain oil via drain plug, fill oil via fill plug until oil starts leaking out of the fill hole (then its full)
If you have a 4 wheel drive, you need to service the rear differential as well:
  • Rear differential oil change process:
    • Use GL-5 gear oil (my cross reference to Mobil TF0951) - change quantity 1.15 liter
    • While car level, drain via drain plug, fill via fill plug until oil leaks out the fill hole (then diff is full)
Service intervals for PDK fluids - for USA market only:
  • PDK transmission fluid change (FFL3) - service manual does not call for at all
    • I will do change every 60k miles (fluid only), and fluid + pan/filter change every 120k miles
      • Doing so because of info I gathered from other sites/forums, where PDK was analyzed vs used oil, not necessary to replace pan/filter after 60k miles
  • Front final drive fluid change (Shell TF0951) - service manual calls for change at 120k miles
    • I will do every 60k miles
  • Rear differential fluid change (GL-5 gear oil) - service manual calls for change at 120k miles
    • I will do every 60k miles
  • For non USA markets, I would follow the 60k mile/100,000km schedule as service manual calls for similar intervals in non USA markets

Thank you JFP for your contribution to the information. I am sure many will find it invaluable in their quest to keep their Panameras running trouble free.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:14 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ciaka for your effort and confirming what I suspected about the ZF PDKs and that the two compartment system in the video in the other thread was probably for the 911s. Nice to finally know the details of our Panny's 7DT75!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:03 PM
ciaka
Racer

np.
I am glad to have all details too, so that I am guaranteed to do everything properly, and keep the car ticking like a swiss watch (no, not the swiss watch, but the SWISS watch).

Last edited by ciaka; 08-04-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 PM
rgfinnegan
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ciaka,
What GL-5 oil did you use for the rear, can't find Mobile TF0951; was that a misprint? Is the Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90 an equivalent or alternate to Delvac 1? How many miles have you put on the Panamera since the oil changes? Any Pro's or Con's you've noticed? I have a 2011 P-Turbo as well; just turned 60K/mi. --Rick

Last edited by rgfinnegan; 08-03-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-03-2018, 11:01 PM
ciaka
Racer

The front calls for Shell TF0951. Front takes about 0.42L for refill.
The rear calls for GL-5. Rear takes about 1.2L for refill.
I think my references above are Shell TF0951.

I got Mobil Delvac 1 full synthetic gear oil 75W-90.
While researching Shell TF0951 I found cross reference from Shell to Mobil. Delvac 1 full syn gear oil 75W-90 was direct cross reference item.
It meets GL-5 and meets requirements for the front final drive. It has limited slip additives which the oil needs for front final drive.
So I used the same oil for rear differential. Have not yet done front final drive, but hoping in next week, or two, and will use same oil.
Actual oil name is Mobil Delvac 1 Synthetic gear oil 75W-90 (it is not same as the Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil LS 75W-90).
Mobil Delvac 1 datasheet.

My immediate impressions are that the rear differential oil change, I felt consistently smoother drive. No side effects.
Check out my thread on service intervals for the Panamera, collected all info into single place, including service mileage, time, items to service, etc.

Originally Posted by rgfinnegan
Ciaka,
What GL-5 oil did you use for the rear, can't find Mobile TF0951; was that a misprint? Is the Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90 an equivalent or alternate to Delvac 1? How many miles have you put on the Panamera since the oil changes? Any Pro's or Con's you've noticed? I have a 2011 P-Turbo as well; just turned 60K/mi. --Rick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panamera V8 models - PDK trans questions