Panamera 2010-Current

Pushing The Red "GO" Button

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:17 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Pushing The Red "GO" Button

Yesterday my wife and I were traveling north on Highway 1 after leaving Post Ranch in Big Sur. We were behind a car traveling about 40 mph in a 55 zone. For a long time we had double yellow lines and couldn't pass. We finally got to a stretch with dotted passing lines and I told my wife "hold on we are going to pass this guy". She yelled "No Way" right as I hit the Sport Chrono Red Button. The car immediately dropped to a much lower gear as I floored the gas pedal and we were around that car and hitting 80 mph in a heartbeat. My wife was not happy but I have to say it was the first time I've really used that feature to pass another car and it was totally impressive. Even more impressive then when we did multiple launch controls at PECLA!!
Old 07-26-2018, 01:20 AM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Love it !!

My wife doesn't even blink when I do stuff like that. My daughters on the other hand - not so much. Heh.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:24 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Only downside of the button, is that my thumb rests above the "cross beam" of the steering wheel, wish the button was above it too, so the thumb can just move over to press it. Mostly when I use it, I don't really want to be taking my eye off the road

Love it though. Its the only downside, and its just nit picking.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:31 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

In my opinion, it should be in the shifter hidden under a secret flap, like a jet air plane stick control!!!
Old 07-27-2018, 04:49 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 40 Posts

I think the reason button is there is not to punch it and instantly floor the gas.
The button sport + mode changes mapping for engine, transmission but also adjusts air suspension, so when you accelerate as you push the button, it will still be catching up on air suspension.
The way I use this is put into sport + when I think I will be having more fun or expect a pass or two, then its all ready when I am.
When I turn the car off, it automatically returns to normal mode.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:19 PM
bosch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sports response button is not red in colour, it's black... Am I missing something?
Old 07-28-2018, 12:53 AM
ciaka
Racer

LOL, yes - the joke.

Originally Posted by bosch
My sports response button is not red in colour, it's black... Am I missing something?
Old 07-28-2018, 04:13 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by ciaka
I think the reason button is there is not to punch it and instantly floor the gas.
The button sport + mode changes mapping for engine, transmission but also adjusts air suspension, so when you accelerate as you push the button, it will still be catching up on air suspension.
The way I use this is put into sport + when I think I will be having more fun or expect a pass or two, then its all ready when I am.
When I turn the car off, it automatically returns to normal mode.
My car is always in the hard/low suspension mode.

- My buttons black too, your not missing a red one. ;-)
Old 07-28-2018, 04:46 AM
bosch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K777
My car is always in the hard/low suspension mode.

- My buttons black too, your not missing a red one. ;-)
Haha. Thought so. Can you change the default settings for each drive mode? Example: in sport, the setting default is to the middle ride height for the car. Can I change it to low and it stays there each time I select it? I can manually do it, but switch it another mode and back, and it goes back middle ride height.

For the radio favorites, I find it odd that there isn’t a quick way to switch stations? I know I can program the diamond button to go to the next station, it will cycle through cycle the stations, not the favorites.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:03 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bosch

Haha. Thought so. Can you change the default settings for each drive mode? Example: in sport, the setting default is to the middle ride height for the car. Can I change it to low and it stays there each time I select it? I can manually do it, but switch it another mode and back, and it goes back middle ride height.

For the radio favorites, I find it odd that there isn’t a quick way to switch stations? I know I can program the diamond button to go to the next station, it will cycle through cycle the stations, not the favorites.
Yes my button is black also. I don't know why I thought it was red; maybe because the indicator light is red around the dial?? Anyway, it should. be red!!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:11 PM
ciaka
Racer

Panamera with air suspension can be in 3 driving modes, and total of 4 possible modes:
  • Extreme low - when car detects height is lower than low (indicator of air suspension leaking)
  • Low - set when you activate sport + mode
  • Normal - normal default driving height
  • High - activated with button, and automatically deactivated at 20mph (car goes to normal)
By default, each time car started, car will attempt to be in Normal height.
This can be changed, but dealer will have to do it with PIWIS 2.

If your car is in extreme low mode all the time, it means your suspension is not holding air and the shocks are bottomed out. Not a good idea to keep driving like this, as more damage to suspension can be done.
You will need to find where the leak is, and fix it. Normally, it leaks around the bolts on top of the shock (once you remove the black plastic triangle trim T30 screws, remove plastic, spray soapy water onto a hex bolt in the area (21mm size), you will see bubbles meaning there is a leak in your system). You can check both sides to see which one leaks.
Shocks can also leak out of the bellows (cannot see them as they are hidden inside shock - and will get damaged if you drive without air in your suspension).

The only way to make the sport/sport+ button red, is to take spray paint and paint it. So who will be the first one to do this? lol
Old 07-30-2018, 05:08 AM
K777
Racer

Panamera with air suspension can be in 3 driving modes, and total of 4 possible modes:
  • Extreme low - when car detects height is lower than low (indicator of air suspension leaking)
  • Low - set when you activate sport + mode
  • Normal - normal default driving height
  • High - activated with button, and automatically deactivated at 20mph (car goes to normal)
By default, each time car started, car will attempt to be in Normal height.
This can be changed, but dealer will have to do it with PIWIS 2.

If your car is in extreme low mode all the time, it means your suspension is not holding air and the shocks are bottomed out. Not a good idea to keep driving like this, as more damage to suspension can be done.
You will need to find where the leak is, and fix it. Normally, it leaks around the bolts on top of the shock (once you remove the black plastic triangle trim T30 screws, remove plastic, spray soapy water onto a hex bolt in the area (21mm size), you will see bubbles meaning there is a leak in your system). You can check both sides to see which one leaks.
Shocks can also leak out of the bellows (cannot see them as they are hidden inside shock - and will get damaged if you drive without air in your suspension).

The only way to make the sport/sport+ button red, is to take spray paint and paint it. So who will be the first one to do this? lol
That's incorrect.
Set to low using the "button" near the stick, then the car is always in low, when turned off and locked, and when coming back and starting.
I prefer driving in this mode, and also I prefer its low position as I walk away, so it doesn't look like its on stilts when its being admired.
It was the same for both my current 4 E Hybrid, and my previos S -E Hybrid.

Never heard of extreme low, I have no idea what your on about. Is that official language or your language for what you appear to be talking as a fault/failure in the system ?

Old 07-30-2018, 11:01 PM
ciaka
Racer

I would read the manual for the 970, gen 1 vehicles more carefully. We are talking Porsche Panamera, 2010-2013.
I own 970 (MY 2010-2013). If you own different year, I cannot comment on it as I do not own that gen.

In manual, page 209 it clearly states, there are 3 modes: comfort, sport and sport plus, and my car is turbo, so that is what I am describing (however pretty sure any air suspension panamera will be similar).
Comfort is default every time you start the car (I call it normal).
Sport still uses normal height mode but has other performance items turned on.
Sport plus automatically lowers your car by 1 inch (25mm), I call it low mode.
If you go over speed bumps, you can press the height mode button on console, and will raise the car by 1 inch (from the standard setting) to allow to over speed bumps, etc. This mode turns off when you exceed 20mph, returning you back to the default mode.
There is no way to press a button and put it into low mode.

if your car for whatever reason gets lower than the low mode setting (remember, there are sensors on the car to tell this), when you get into the car, you will get a message stating that your vehicle level is extreme low. That is the language, not my words, but actual words.
Once you review the manual, you will see that it is not incorrect.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:06 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I would read the manual for the 970, gen 1 vehicles more carefully. We are talking Porsche Panamera, 2010-2013.
I own 970 (MY 2010-2013). If you own different year, I cannot comment on it as I do not own that gen.
The OP and most of the thread is referencing the Panamera 971 gen 2 vehicles. fwiw.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:53 AM
ciaka
Racer

Must have missed it somewhere but did not see saratogalefty state he talks about 971. So I assumed 970. My info is 970. If he has different gen, he is on mercy of you fine folks.

Quick Reply: Pushing The Red "GO" Button