Panamera 2010-Current

Rear wheel brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:53 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel brake dust

Seems like every car I have ever owned, the front brakes have always been the ones to produce more brake dust on the wheels. In my Panamera however, it is the rear wheels that get much dirtier. Is this what you guys see? If not, I guess it could be that I believe my front pads and rotors were replaced just before the sale, so maybe they are cleaner with the new surfaces?
Old 07-25-2018, 12:47 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

I do not see that on my PTT.
Could also be your fronts have different pads than rears.
Maybe previous owner had ceramic pads on all wheels and when worn rears, replaced them with a regular cheaper compound pads.
Check them out when you have time.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:07 AM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
Seems like every car I have ever owned, the front brakes have always been the ones to produce more brake dust on the wheels. In my Panamera however, it is the rear wheels that get much dirtier. Is this what you guys see? If not, I guess it could be that I believe my front pads and rotors were replaced just before the sale, so maybe they are cleaner with the new surfaces?
I do not see that on my 2013 Panamera 4: front brakes definitely produce more brake dust on the wheels. Don't know about the pads replacement being the issue as on mine I just replaced all of them at once. Maybe that somehow your car got some kind of ceramic treatment on the wheels and the previous owner started with the front wheels and then ran short on time and/or on liquid and didn't do the rear wheels?

EDIT: dangit, just noticed that ciaka mentioned ceramic too...
Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 AM
Cacciatore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by martinced
...EDIT: dangit, just noticed that ciaka mentioned ceramic too...
ciaka is talking about ceramic pads, not a ceramic coating like you mentioned. Both are very real possibilities. Ceramic coated wheels are amazing though; I'll never drive another car without coating them first. Brake dust just falls off with a powerwasher. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it really bothers you.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel brake dust