Rear seat entertainment Panamera 971

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rear seat entertainment Panamera 971

Hi Guys,

happy panamera owner since Friday. Great car... Brings out lots of emotion except for my 4 year old son who is not very happy with the rear seat entertainment :-)

Obviously he is too young to operate android (shocking that the tablet has android 5) but has anyone here managed to connect an iphone with the Porsche Remote Control app to the rear seat entertainment to control the content?

Looking forward to hearing back from you guys.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Cacciatore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Android 5 is almost as old as your son!! No wonder he can't figure it out! I haven't done it but what exactly are you having trouble with? The Bluetooth iPhone pairing or the actual content control?

Last edited by Cacciatore; 07-24-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-2018, 11:35 AM
rsyed
Racer

I was trying to use the "remote control" app on my iphone to control remotely control the tablet in the rear from the front.

Turns out that the remote control app is for teh old rse and not the new one. Total shame. Like this, everytime something needs to clicked on the tablet, I need to stop teh car, detach the tablet from the mount, click on the message and then remount it so that my son can continue watching.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:16 PM
Cacciatore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be calling the dealer to see if they can push something up the chain and get app support for the new models. Worth a shot at the very least
Old 07-24-2018, 04:30 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
I was trying to use the "remote control" app on my iphone to control remotely control the tablet in the rear from the front.

Turns out that the remote control app is for teh old rse and not the new one. Total shame. Like this, everytime something needs to clicked on the tablet, I need to stop teh car, detach the tablet from the mount, click on the message and then remount it so that my son can continue watching.
I think you’d save a lot of time and heart ache by removing the tablet on your sons side and putting an iPad there. The tablets are removable and it would take a shop about 10 minutes to mimic the mount. Now you can control the content and he’ll be able to use it. You can still Bluetooth pair the headphones, (or use any other brand) and your WiFi hotspot will work perfectly with the iPad.

Might be easier than messing around with an OS that’s years out of date and not intuitive. Especially for a four year old
Old 07-24-2018, 10:41 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benedict14

I think you’d save a lot of time and heart ache by removing the tablet on your sons side and putting an iPad there.
so much for the $2600 option!

don't know much about PRSE, but it is advertised as being able to direct and control PCM media content to it.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:14 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has google media and Netflix - what more do you need?. It is shatterproof, looks good and works very nicely in my view. You click on Apps and it is identical to Apple? I would not expect to be able to control the screen from the front - surely a driver distraction?
Old 07-25-2018, 08:52 AM
rsyed
Racer

really beats the purpose of spec'ing a 3k option to only replace it with an ipad and cables to charge it :-)

from what I see, from the PCM I can send content to the RSE but I don't have access to the screen.

Generally speaking, I don't need to see the screen if someone grown up is operating it. But I bought the RSE for my 4 year old and just imagine, you are driving on the highway, it is peaceful because he is watching something on the RSE but suddenly he starts yelling because the movie stopped. Neither my wife nor I can help him. The only solution is to stop at the next service area to click on OK on the screen because the wireless connection was lost and to reconnect the wireless again. If my wife had remote access to the RSE over her phone, she could have clicked on ok and reconnected while we were driving and everyone would be happy. As you can see, the goal is not to have a distraction while driving.

Quick Reply: Rear seat entertainment Panamera 971