Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera Turbo S e-Hybrid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:54 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2018 Panamera Turbo S e-Hybrid Thread

So, we got our Turbo S about 2 months ago, and we absolutely love it. It is such a versatile car, and there is so much to explore. I wanted to start a thread where owners could discuss their thoughts on the car (in normal or ST variant).
Couple of first impressions - love the acceleration and handling. I drive in e-power mostly, but when you want the insane power of 680 hp, you get it. I got to join some friends from Motor Trend at Willow Springs a few weeks ago when they evaluated it (and Randy Pobst thrashed it) and the performance was very surprising...they clocked it around 2.8 seconds to 60. Nuts for a 5000 pound + car...really astounding.
Tires - switched my all-seasons to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires - they are 325 at the rear on the 21" wheels (same as our 991 GT3RS). Tire pressure is recommended at 33 all around. These tires offer noticeably more grip, and better overall feel. Terrific early upgrade.
Electronics - one thing I discovered early on is regarding the INDIVIDUAL mode...could not really figure out something I wanted it to do...but then one day, I programmed it to Hybrid E-Charge with Sport Exhaust ON. Simple, but a mode I use a lot on longer drives. Great to be able to configure to this.
Voice Control - love this feature - didn't really use it much but now use it all the time. Very well done (even though have heard comments to the contrary)...not sure why.
If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on cool features on the Turbo S, would be much appreciated.
Jeff

New Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires.

Had a carbon center made for the wheel - MA Carbon made this, great work.

Custom mats made for the Panamera. Love the Lemon-Green interior lighting option. Matches the Acid Green sills and other gauge details.

Have a few chargers for different locations. Really love the design of them, and how they work. Really recommend a 240/50amp connection...super fast at around 2.4 hours from empty with onboard 7.2KW charger.

Acid Green sills are cool.

Charging up at PECLA.

No bad angle.

I get so many looks and comments with this car...surprising how many people love the look of the new Panamera.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCBH:
GT Omologata (05-13-2023), MKC91 (02-13-2020)
Old 07-24-2018, 04:21 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty much my dream config of any Panamera, I've said it before but you have excellent taste!

Only random question...is those mats or are they temporary for servicing as the normal Porsche mat appears in another pic
Old 07-24-2018, 04:45 AM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Does your voice control let you search on the navigation while driving. That’s the feature I need to search the online google database in navigation mode. I don’t have it and I get locked out from using online search while driving
Old 07-25-2018, 10:33 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajriches01
This is pretty much my dream config of any Panamera, I've said it before but you have excellent taste!

Only random question...is those mats or are they temporary for servicing as the normal Porsche mat appears in another pic
haha good eye - I had some custom mats made a few weeks ago, and replaced the basic mats...love the herringbone carpet mats I had made. Suit the car perfectly....had a pair made for my 911R with silver stitching, as well.
Jeff
Old 07-25-2018, 12:29 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful Panamera, Jeff. Having driven the Turbo S e-hybrid at the Porsche Experience Center, I have experienced the performance using the launch mode. For the size and weight, this car is nothing short of amazing. I am looking forward to having one of my own.
Drive in the best of health.

Seth
Old 07-25-2018, 01:41 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sriklin
Beautiful Panamera, Jeff. Having driven the Turbo S e-hybrid at the Porsche Experience Center, I have experienced the performance using the launch mode. For the size and weight, this car is nothing short of amazing. I am looking forward to having one of my own.
Drive in the best of health.

Seth
Thanks! It is terrific, and coupled with rear axle steering, it drives so much smaller than it is. It is so addictive. A very versatile car and a daily pleasure. Just did my first Navigation Over-the-Air software update today - seamless and very well done. Amazing tech.
Jeff
Old 07-26-2018, 04:23 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You state the weight at over 5000 LBS, but on the configurator it states a little over 6000. My tax guy said if over 6000 it is a 100% tax write off?? Has anyone else heard that? It's making me want to sell my Pano TT, and order the TTS Hybrid.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:25 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SBTT
You state the weight at over 5000 LBS, but on the configurator it states a little over 6000. My tax guy said if over 6000 it is a 100% tax write off?? Has anyone else heard that? It's making me want to sell my Pano TT, and order the TTS Hybrid.
Interesting question which caused me to research the weights. You are right, the configurator does say it is over 6,000 pounds, but that is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, not the Curb weight. I found the following explanation. See link

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-safet...vehicle-weight

In a nut shell, the curb weight is the overall car weight without cargo, the GVWR is the max total load with passengers and luggage.
Here are the weights I found for the Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrids;

Base: Curb 5,093#, GVWR 6,162#
Executive: Curb 5,313#, GVWR 6,360#
Sport Tourismo: Curb 5,126#, GVWR 6,393#

Old 07-27-2018, 10:58 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SBTT
If the vehicle is titled to a company, then you may qualify for the accelerated depreciation but it is not 100% in the first year. The Panamera is likely designated a passenger car by the IRS, not a “car built on a truck chassis” (aka SUV) and unloaded weight matters. There are different depreciation schedules for each category and those rules have changed quite a bit, the current rules went into effect in 2014 and are tweaked each year. Also, and this is important, the IRS guidelines do stipulate that the vehicle must be used 100% for business purposes, but fortunately the IRS is auding few taxpayers these days and when I went through a compliance audit a few years ago, the examiner didn’t even focus on this and I was taking accelerated depreciation on the Range Rover my wife had at the time.

Last edited by jnolan; 07-27-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:08 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My CPA said as of 9-17 that the GVWR is what they are using?? My son in law bought a Audi Q7 and was able to write off 100% as long as used for business. CPA also advised if you take delivery in December, you only have to keep business mileage for that 1 month, as to taking delivery in Jan, you would have to keep records for entire year. The passenger car thing makes me a little nervous, so will have to check further into that.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:49 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

This OT from the thread and it goes without saying that you should not get tax advice in a car forum. The term "write off" can mean a lot of different things:

- I buy one car per year through our business, finance 100% of the purchase. Those monthly payments are expenses that reduce my corporate taxable income. I'm writing off the expense to reduce my corporate taxable income... but I could do the exact same thing by increasing my salary, which reduces corporate income, but then I would be exposing myself to increased personal income taxes.
- The capital asset that the business owns is subject to depreciation, which is another expense the business records to reduce taxable income. The amount of depreciation you can take is detailed in schedules that the IRS publishes, the relevant one here being Section 179. This covers passenger cars and trucks/SUVs that have an unloaded weight below 6,000 lbs (this is different than GVWR that mfgers publish, that is loaded weight) are covered by this section in the regs. SUVs and trucks that don't qualify as passenger vehicles are treated differently, with bonus depreciation and base depreciation you could depreciate up to 100% of the vehicle in a single tax year, while also taking the expense for the purchase.
- Bonus Depreciation is in addition to the base depreciation but the relationship between the two is subject to the IRS regulations.
- The Trump tax law means there are changes in the allowable amounts and the relationship between base and bonus depreciation. This is why they year put into service matters, and it is retroactive to 2017.

Trust your CPA, but if you are like me, you trust-but-verify by learning the tax code. I think my accountant is a little too conservative so I have to press him on the regs but he is honest and keeps me honest so when I had a compliance audit (which is worse than a tax audit) I came through with flying colors.

So yes, technically I write off 100% of my vehicles but I'm not getting a tax credit (I will with the new Panamera I just ordered, e-hybrid). The write off is exclusively focused on the pre-tax expenses that affect the amount of taxable income our corporate entity reports.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:23 AM
mirogsm
2nd Gear

hello. would anyone have any information if it is a problem if the charger is plugged into the car for 10 days?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mirogsm
hello. would anyone have any information if it is a problem if the charger is plugged into the car for 10 days?
I was told it is advisable - it modulates and keeps the charge. I was told by an engineer at Porsche that it is a good idea to leave it plugged in when not in use.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:00 AM
mirogsm
2nd Gear

I am very pleased with the answer.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:32 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a counter mounted next to my wallbox to see how much electricity I am using for my car.

I can confirm that after the car has been charged, the car does not use any more electricity and the consumption is 0.

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera Turbo S e-Hybrid Thread