Panamera 2010-Current

My experiences - wheel spacers, wheel vibratiojn, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts
Default My experiences - wheel spacers, wheel vibratiojn, etc

I just recently decided to put on 15mm spacers on all 4 corners. While doing so, did thorough cleaning of each wheel and rotor/caliper set.
Actually did rear wheels few days before, but today did the front wheels.
After cleaning, put on new spacers, mounted the wheels and used new bolts to tighten the wheels up.
Then went for a short drive to see how things felt. Took the cart to higher speed, and noticed that at about 90-95 I was feeling vibrations. This was not what I felt before spacers went on.

Returned home, and while the car was on the ground, I took my air gun and loosened each bolt on the driver front wheel, and loosened then retightened each bolt one at a time. Then, repeated on each bolt on passenger side.

Then, took the car for another ride. Took the car for another higher speed, and at same velocity did not feel a thing anymore. Increased speed again to about 120 and still, nothing. All butter smooth. All vibrations gone.

Returned home and reviewed the service manual. I came across a section with wheels and suspension. It stated that bolts should be tightened while on the ground vs while being in the air.
So if you change a wheel, add spacers, rebalance, any suspension work, if you feel vibration, I recommend do what I did to eliminate possibility the wheel is just not sitting right.

Hope this helps folks out there.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:47 AM
Joby
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

What year Panamera and can you share photos? I have 5 and 8s F and B on my 2018 and it does not have the proudness I was hoping vs my RS5. So was considering 10s in front and 15 in rear.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

My car is 2011 Panamera turbo.
What kind of photos did you need? Spacers? Overall look?
The pic of spacers I took is crappy, out of focus, but is 15mm, same as one in pic at bottom (took screen shot from purchase image).
The other pics show the front tire differences (I added spacers to rear wheels few days ago, so you wont see a difference in the before/after pics).
I was not going for a very aggressive look. My aim was to bring the tire in line with outer wheel well edge. I think I accomplished that goal. Tires sticking out past wheel well will throw stones onto your body panels and you will have scratches for sure.

Before spacers install - front

Before spacers install - front angle shot

AFTER 15MM SPACER INSTALL - FRONT

Originally Posted by Joby
What year Panamera and can you share photos? I have 5 and 8s F and B on my 2018 and it does not have the proudness I was hoping vs my RS5. So was considering 10s in front and 15 in rear.

Quick Reply: My experiences - wheel spacers, wheel vibratiojn, etc