Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera turbo 2018 “squeak” noise during acceleration?

Old 07-07-2018, 12:18 AM
Mubes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera turbo 2018 “squeak” noise during acceleration?

As the title says, at times I experience an odd squeak noise on my Panamera turbo during aggressive acceleration with and without launch control. Has anyone else experienced this odd noise? To describe it as effectively as I can it kind of sound like slowly releasing air from a party balloon and it makes that squeaky noise.

I’ve gone to two different Porsche dealers and they both say that it’s just “wheel spin” due to uneven ground? Does this make any sense to anyone? We’ve all heard tires squeaking trying to grab traction from the ground but this to me doesn’t sound anything like that. Almost sounds like some sort of over strained pressure leak or something to that effect.

Everyone who’s been in the car with me who has heard it happen has immediately asked as to what that noise was as it just sounds foreign and not quite right.

Should I just forget it and take the dealers word for it?

Last edited by Mubes; 07-07-2018 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-07-2018, 10:49 AM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Turbo whistle?
Old 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Did the dealer drive the car before saying it’s normal? I would have all the clamps and bolts on the intake high pressure side tightened.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Mubes
Intermediate

It’s not a turbo whistle I’m pretty sure of that. When it happens it just sounds “strained”. The dealer did drive it prior to claiming it a “wheel spin”. They were able to hear it on one occasion out of the acceleration attempts made. I just don’t believe it is normal based on how it sounds.

I had a very similar sound issue with my cls550 where it made what I would say was The exact same noise while accelerating and what turned out to be the issue was a clamp that was not properly secured on the boost system hose - or something to that effect.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Mubes
Intermediate

I recorded a video of the sound as I can replicate it on a more regular basis now that I’ve finished the run in period and can do launch control - with which it happens quite often.

Attached you guys should find a video of it

Attached Files
Old 07-07-2018, 06:04 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

sounds like Elmo
Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Mubes
Intermediate

Lol well I definitely didn’t pay almost quarter mil to drive Elmo
Old 07-07-2018, 08:32 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

yeah the dealers response is pretty unacceptable after paying that much for a car - I tend to to agree with the previous assessment - sounds like a leak on the high pressure side - something is either cracked or not tight enough.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:27 AM
Mubes
Intermediate

Guys I’m stumped by my situation. The squeak has become way more frequent now where I don’t even need to use launch control and just normal acceleration and it happens. I wish I could upload a longer video of me just accelerating in motion slowing down and accelerating again and having the noise just happen none stop with every acceleration.

The dealer spoke to engineers in Germany and apparently this squeak is a normal characteristic of the vehicle? They claim that when there is high heat environment such as the weather or vehicle operating temperature the viscosity of the transmission fluid causes this issue. Yet the noise has happened with temperatures in the low 20s celcius so to me that explanation sounds like a lot of bs.

I just don’t understand how a squeak noise that sounds like something is about to snap in the vehicle is considered “normal” characteristic let alone on a premium 200k price tag car - also if this is normal for this car then what are times where it sounds smooth and clean considered? This to me seems more like a “lemon” issue that is being wiped under the carpet simply?

Would greatly appreciate advice on this matter from who ever can, thank you

Last edited by Mubes; 07-11-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mubes, I have no experience with the Turbo engine, but I think you are right, this sounds like just an excuse. How could they go from Wheel Spin to a "normal" characteristic based on transmission fluid viscosity. To me, they are grasping for something they think you will accept. If this is a normal characteristic, surely they could take another Turbo out they have on the lot and see if it is squealing "Normally" as your car is. My point, if it is normal for your car, it should be normal for all other Turbos. This would be my attack at making them face the fact that this is not Normal!! Best of luck.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM
TAG ceo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's definitely not wheel spin that late in the acceleration run. Do they think you are an idiot? I heard a rumor through local service advisor here that there have been issues with the turbo's in the hot "V" on the new turbo and that a recall/service campaign will be coming down the pipe at some point once they actually figure out how to resolve it. Wish I had more info to share but that is all I have, perhaps you could mention something to your service manager regarding this
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (12-04-2023)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Mubes
Intermediate

Wow this is just turning into a bigger mess then I imagined. What’s going on with Porsche and all these recalls as of late? Seems like the ship isn’t being run quite as tight as it should be especially for a highly regarded brand
Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Mubes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TAG ceo
It's definitely not wheel spin that late in the acceleration run. Do they think you are an idiot? I heard a rumor through local service advisor here that there have been issues with the turbo's in the hot "V" on the new turbo and that a recall/service campaign will be coming down the pipe at some point once they actually figure out how to resolve it. Wish I had more info to share but that is all I have, perhaps you could mention something to your service manager regarding this
Forgive my ignorance what does the “hot v” mean?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Mubes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Mubes, I have no experience with the Turbo engine, but I think you are right, this sounds like just an excuse. How could they go from Wheel Spin to a "normal" characteristic based on transmission fluid viscosity. To me, they are grasping for something they think you will accept. If this is a normal characteristic, surely they could take another Turbo out they have on the lot and see if it is squealing "Normally" as your car is. My point, if it is normal for your car, it should be normal for all other Turbos. This would be my attack at making them face the fact that this is not Normal!! Best of luck.
Thats a good idea, I’ll go and take a local turbo for a test drive and see weather the issue is present. Thank you
Old 07-12-2018, 01:18 AM
Mubes
Intermediate

I tested two Panamera turbos today each had roughly 11000km on them. One was making the exact noise as mine but literally all the time consistently which makes me believe that that’s where mine is headed once it clocks in similar kms - literally I have no idea how something like that is acceptable. The other one was completely clean not a single hint of the squeaky noise no matter how hard I drove it and pushed it to try and get it to make the sound - very beautiful and smooth the way it no doubt should be.

Its really infuriating that this problem has not been recalled and is still being wiped under the carpet so to speak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panamera turbo 2018 “squeak” noise during acceleration?