Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

How the Panamera and Cayenne compare to the 911 in corners

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

c4 - I'm with you there. I still love driving manual cars. I'd be find driving one of the last 911 turbo with that option..... If I would have ended up in a hellcat or ZL1 I would have elected to get a manual, even if they are technically slower on paper. Its just too much fun! The same would go for purchasing a corvette, if I ever get that inkling again. The Jeep SRT for example would be sooooooo fun with a 6 speed manual... I mean damn.

Both the new Camaro, and Mustang are not slouches from a handling standpoint, and they have proper independent systems now rather than an old school live axel or whatever they call it. Then the Cobras got the upgrade, and now I think the whole line has independent rear. It makes a huge different in daily driving.

The Panamera is many times more stable than any M5, Audi, or Benz class that I have ever driven, though I haven't driven the newest models of those cars. My guess is maybe they have closed the gap or maybe on par at best to the full on Panamera Turbo S. I can only imagine that the newer 2017+ Panamera models are that much more surgical too.

There is something about having a useful sedan and all that comfort, while still having all of the fun of a pony / muscle car, which is where the draw is for me.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:17 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the rare opportunity to have a nice late night drive earlier this week and was in the Pano S. It's such a treat to drive when I'm alone in the car and the roads are pretty empty. I was cranking the hell out of the entire Moving Pictures album and driving in sport plus mode and often in pdk manual mode. The car is just so telepathic - an amazing drivers car and such a joy to drive on some backroads without other cars around. If I had to give up one car it would have to be the Camaro - but I love having both fine cars to switch between!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:35 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
I think the key here is:

A sedan or SUV is never going to handle like a smaller light weight sports car like a 911.

But.....for most of your driving, an extreme sports tuned SUV or sedan in Porsche Turbo S trim is going to feel pretty capable for any driving you're actually going to be doing. In the Panamera even more so. The key here being, on normal roads you can never really take advantage of what a 911 can give you over a Panamera, at least that's what I tell myself! Well other than the fact that in some trim the 911 is going to out accelerate any Panamera.... That's not to say the 911 isn't as good, or won't even corner better on the street, it will. I'm just stating that for the typical driver, with typical driving skills, on typical crappy streets, the Panamera is going to navigate through it pretty convincingly because that's what its designed to do! All that with room for passengers and all their crap! You can even make a significant trip to Home Depot, and then beat up on some unsuspecting sports cars on the way home if you want to! Its also not going to feel as if its falling apart, and loosing its traction over bumps......
Not really. You can feel the advantage of a rear engine car almost anywhere. The way it puts grip down is unreal. We have a '13 C2S and a '13 Panamera GTS
Old 07-12-2018, 04:26 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

That's a point. Braking is also amazing w a 911.
But pano is pretty damn good for a front engine car. I noticed the engine is set back pretty far.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:36 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by c4racer
That's a point. Braking is also amazing w a 911.
But pano is pretty damn good for a front engine car. I noticed the engine is set back pretty far.
I think 4WD really helps, especially in the higher powered models. We had a '12 base that was recently totaled, the new GTS grips way better even with much more power.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:18 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Well...the new ZR1 and Z06 are doing pretty well....with the engine in the front :$

I can fit teh many hot womenz in the Panamera. Nanner Nanner
Old 07-13-2018, 10:13 AM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks guys. Really just looking for info on the performance options on the panamera and cayenne and how they effect the ride. Any other thoughts from anyone? Would love to hear from someone with rear wheel steer and pasm. Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Cacciatore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clemsondds
awesome thanks! anyone have this that has the current gen panamera? curious if it's changed at all and how rws effects things.
I have the current gen and for the road, unless you are really pushing the car, won't see the RWS do much on the road. On the track it is pretty fun to drive.

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
Size and weight of the cars is going to be your biggest difference. The Panamera is going to handle way better than anything youre going to drive, short of a small, 2 door, high performance sports car. Its going to handle and feel better than some of the less expensive, mid level 2 door sports cars as well, and certainly better than most mustang, Camaro, SRT cars. Certainly track oriented configurations like the Shelby 350, and ZL1 are going to be better track cars on paper, but I would wager with some proper driving, if you wanted to, you could keep up pretty well in a Panamera! The Cayenne is more luxury to me, than the performance versions of SUV like the X6 M, X5 M, and Jeep SRT Trackhawk, however, it should perform right there with them. On the street a Cayenne is going to feel plenty sporty against typical cars of any variety.
The Panamera can hold it's own on the track. 3 track days so far in that car, and a complete blast to drive. No problem maneuvering past C6 Z06s and 997 turbos. One guy in a 997 turbo didn't let off the throttle after giving the point by, and I had no problem walking him in the main straight at NJMP Thunderbolt. He came up to me later very impressed with the car.

Originally Posted by clemsondds
Thanks guys. Really just looking for info on the performance options on the panamera and cayenne and how they effect the ride. Any other thoughts from anyone? Would love to hear from someone with rear wheel steer and pasm. Thanks
If you want all the performance you can get, order a loaded turbo with all the goodies and don't look back. The air suspension really gets the car nice and low and with some meaty PSS tires, handles excellently for a 4500lb sedan. The car doesn't feel nearly as big or heavy as it looks while driving it.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome! Thank you! I would love a turbo, but think I'll have to stick with a 4S if I go panamera. Thanks again for the input!
Old 07-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

If the 4S has all of the active handling options, for sure make sure option that out.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Cacciatore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A loaded 4S with all the active handling options will come close in price to a base turbo(missing RWS and sport crono), but it seems like you'll appreciate the handling improvements more than the additional HP

Quick Reply: How the Panamera and Cayenne compare to the 911 in corners