Porsche Panamera e-hybrid vs Tesla Model XP100D vs Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:09 AM
Mr.RS4
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Panamera e-hybrid vs Tesla Model XP100D vs Audi RS4

Porsche Panamera e-hybrid vs Tesla Model XP100D vs Audi RS4
Looking for new car, and consider Porsche Panamera e-hybrid(year 2017/2018) or Tesla Model XP100D(year 2017) or Audi RS4(year 2018).

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these cars?

I have now a Tesla Model P85DL.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 PM
rklann
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Mr.RS4, I find your question interesting. Before I try to answer. Let me first tell you I currently own a 2018 Panamera E-hybrid. Prior to purchasing my Panamera, I looked at and test drove the Tesla S P100D (January 2017). So I do have some knowledge of that vehicle. With respect to the Audi RS4, I know nothing.

So let me begin my thoughts. First of all, I think a better comparison would be between the Tesla S and the Panamera Hybrid (being the Tesla X is an SUV, not a sedan). Next, you are comparing an all-electric vehicle to a plug-in hybrid. Totally different types of vehicles. Having said this let me continue. If raw speed 0-60 is your desire then the Tesla S P100D should be your choice (2.7 sec vs 4.4 sec). If purchase cost is a factor, they are very similar (both around $140,000). If the total range is your desire the Panamera Hybrid should be chosen (500 miles electric /gas vs 315 miles electric).

My personal decision was based on the overall feel, quality, and handling of the two automobiles. I felt the Panamera was superior in these areas. I know these are very subjective, but that was my feeling and impressions.
There are many other differences to be considered, including your lifestyle, but I think I covered my main thoughts. I have had my Panamera E-Hybrid for two months and have not regretted my choice.

Good luck with your selection and I hope my thoughts helped.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Mr.RS4
5th Gear

Thanks for answer @rklann
I own a Tesla Model P85D with Ludicrous today, and what to change car. And my next car will be one of Porsche Panamera e-hybrid vs Tesla Model X P100D vs Audi RS4.
I have not tried Porsche(I will try Panamera in 1 or 2 weeks) or Audi RS4 2018(there are probably only one or two RS4 for sale in Norway right now, and long distance for me).
Reason for I ask here is I want to know much as possible before buy a car that expensive.
And I want to buy used car with low km(less than 20.000km / 12.500miles) and in year 2017/2018.

I have asked same question on Tesla pages, and all say Tesla is best(I own a Tesla and know what it is), but no answer about Porsche or Audi. I would like to get answer just as you @rklann, you have some experience on Tesla. Very nice :-)

I also agree with you that Tesla can not compare the quality of chair, console, build of car are probably much better on German car`s. But Tesla got the big screen, easy phone app(I like very much), car can drive of it self, insane acceleration. Another reason I bought my Tesla, it was cheap, when I bought it was not to bad price(865000NOK / 90705Eur / 106157$) in april 2015(bought it in December 2014).

Reason I will not go for Tesla Model S P100D, are because I got Tesla Model P85D today, and would like to try one of the other. And prices now are more likely 30-40% more expensive for used car then i paid for my car(prices gone up, up and UP).
Old 07-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche>Audi>Tesla
Old 07-01-2018, 03:58 PM
rklann
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. RS4, I think you will have a much better idea of the Panamera after you take a test drive. Although the NAV is not as big as the Tesla, it is still big (11.5" by 4.5") and I find the phone app work's very well. You even have Apple Car Paly for your iPhone if you have one. The E-hybrid gets about 25 to 30 miles on each electric charge (14 kW battery vs 100 kW battery for Tesla 100). After that, it switches to hybrid mode and uses the 330 hp internal combustion engine (ICE). The Tesla's self-drive software was really a strong selling point, but it is still in the early stages of development here in San Diego, California. I will wait for my next car in about 5 to 6 years.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:36 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rklann
So let me begin my thoughts. First of all, I think a better comparison would be between the Tesla S and the Panamera Hybrid (being the Tesla X is an SUV, not a sedan). Next, you are comparing an all-electric vehicle to a plug-in hybrid. Totally different types of vehicles. Having said this let me continue. If raw speed 0-60 is your desire then the Tesla S P100D should be your choice (2.7 sec vs 4.4 sec). If purchase cost is a factor, they are very similar (both around $140,000). If the total range is your desire the Panamera Hybrid should be chosen (500 miles electric /gas vs 315 miles electric).
...and isn't the RS4 a wagon with only a gasoline engine? 3 different cars you got there!
edit: unless Europe will have eventually have an e-option - the RS4 isn't planned for the states I believe.

Last edited by NJS_04_996; 07-01-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

does the porsche have the same advantages as the tesla in Norway? Free parking? No toll? bus lanes?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:46 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven Teslas and they are not "drivers' cars" - they do not convey the joy of driving but they do tick the eco box and the 0-60 box (but how often do you use ludicrous and without the exhaust note...does it matter?). All the fixtures of a Tesla feel poor - the seats are cheap, the steering wheel synthetic etc.

I love the Hybrid, it ticks all the boxes and in 5 years when Tesla motors is bankrupt you'll be laughing.

RS4 is a great car but will it get a second look? Audi is so very boring these days.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:56 AM
Mr.RS4
5th Gear

Mr. RS4, I think you will have a much better idea of the Panamera after you take a test drive. Although the NAV is not as big as the Tesla, it is still big (11.5" by 4.5") and I find the phone app work's very well. You even have Apple Car Paly for your iPhone if you have one. The E-hybrid gets about 25 to 30 miles on each electric charge (14 kW battery vs 100 kW battery for Tesla 100). After that, it switches to hybrid mode and uses the 330 hp internal combustion engine (ICE). The Tesla's self-drive software was really a strong selling point, but it is still in the early stages of development here in San Diego, California. I will wait for my next car in about 5 to 6 years.
Yes I will take a ride, of cause. I like to have much as possible information on the car before I test it, because I feel better, understand the car better, and know what seller are talking about, when he/she explain about the car.
The NAV / Media screen are VERY good in Tesla, and I would probably miss that one...
Yes it is early stage in Norway as well, but Tesla drives the car pretty good. Follow car in front(even swings), but not thru rounder-bots, on & off roads, stop & start in traffic lights. Keep / tells about speed limits.

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
...and isn't the RS4 a wagon with only a gasoline engine? 3 different cars you got there!
edit: unless Europe will have eventually have an e-option - the RS4 isn't planned for the states I believe.
Yes(it is only a gas), but that is my next "want to be my next car", all of them(need more information off cause = expensive car`s in Norway), and only need one :-)
And I don`t think RS4 will be in hybrid / electric mode at all(anywhere i world?). Perhaps next model of RS4???

Originally Posted by rsyed
does the porsche have the same advantages as the tesla in Norway? Free parking? No toll? bus lanes?
No, only full electric cars. But it starts to pay toll(50%), free parking has stop almost everywhere. And some places even stop driving in bus/taxi lane`s.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:26 AM
Mr.RS4
5th Gear

Yes I will take a ride, of cause. I like to have much as possible information on the car before I test it, because I feel better, understand the car better, and know what seller are talking about, when he/she explain about the car.
The NAV / Media screen are VERY good in Tesla, and I would probably miss that one...
Yes it is early stage in Norway as well, but Tesla drives the car pretty good. Follow car in front(even swings), but not thru rounder-bots, on & off roads, stop & start in traffic lights. Keep / tells about speed limits.

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
Yes(it is only a gas), but that is my next "want to be my next car", all of them(need more information off cause = expensive car`s in Norway), and only need one :-)
And I don`t think RS4 will be in hybrid / electric mode at all(anywhere i world?). Perhaps next model of RS4???

Originally Posted by rsyed
No, only full electric cars. But it starts to pay toll(50%), free parking has stop almost everywhere. And some places even stop driving in bus/taxi lane`s.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:16 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Horses for courses.
Decide which course is yours and choose your horse accordingly.

Me personally - I wouldn't buy a Tesla, I have seen to many queues for to many few charging points, maybe you have experienced it ? Waiting an hour for your turn ?
I have seen one on the back of a recovery truck arriving at a charger. Says it all. An engine is needed.
RS4 a great car indeed, sounds great, goes great. People know what it is and does. Still an Audi though. If I was looking for an RS4 I would go for a Nissan GTR.

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera e-hybrid vs Tesla Model XP100D vs Audi RS4