Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Advice on this GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:02 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Congratulation! Beautiful car. Love the color.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:20 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Is that basalt black? Looks just like my 2013 S!
Old 07-03-2018, 04:48 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by c4racer
Is that basalt black? Looks just like my 2013 S!
Carbon Grey
Old 07-03-2018, 06:12 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats doc, looks nice!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:49 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the OP back again. As mentioned earlier, this will be wife's car (currently drives Mercedes C300) that I will get to drive during weekends. Thus, trying to find an optimal balance which is also exciting to drive. I am inclined towards 2014-16 Panamera GTS/Turbo and she is more comfortable staying with a Mercedes. Thus, 2015-17 E63S is a close consideration. I drove it recently and also the latest 2018 model. Both are just stunningly fast with amazing sounds. Even my kid felt E63 was super fast. Plus it has 5 seats and less money. On the other hand, it looks quite ordinary. Doesn't have the presence of a Panamera.

Would be interested in hearing opinions about E63S. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:37 AM
c4racer
Pro

C300 to e63 is quite the step. Does your wife really want to have that much power on tap ? I know mine wouldn't.

I would look at a 2014+ S with the turbo V6.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:32 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by c4racer
C300 to e63 is quite the step. Does your wife really want to have that much power on tap ? I know mine wouldn't.

I would look at a 2014+ S with the turbo V6.
I dunno. I'm in a similar situation, in that the Panny I have coming in at the end of the month will probably be driven more by my wife than me. We already have 4 cars in the driveway and her Audi A7 was the least favorite car in the fleet, so we dumped that to make room for the new ride. For me, if we're talking about a spouse who doesn't care so much about performance, the most important thing about getting them a big HP car that you hope to drive on the weekends, is throttle tip in. I used to have a 2008 Audi S6 (the one with the 450hp Lambo V10) that had a hair trigger throttle tip in. No way ever let my wife near that thing. But as long as I have a car where my wife can, in the appropriate driving mode, modulate the right foot easily enough for her to pull away from the stoplight like grandma would, that's all she cares about. So what if she uses only 75 of the available 500hp? lol. Well, she cares about that and comfort of course. I've never owned an AMG car, but have read and heard that some of their harder core products are too stiffly sprung even in the most forgiving of settings. So maybe that matters.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

The 2014 + E63 and E63S are beasts. For sheer power, they are a bit stronger than the PTT; however they aren’t as poised which for me means they aren’t as easy to control. They are also kind of boring looking really compared to say a Panamera or RS7. They are great performing cars though, no question there. I mean If you want to go unnoticed, the Benz is a little less presumptuous as compared to a Panamera.

Personally I’d just get the CLS63, or for you in that specific wifey car situation get the CLS550 4 matic. They are underratedly fast and you could also chip it for your weekend drives. They are also way cheaper than the AMG. The GTS would be just so much more fun.

Honestly if you can swing it, get the turbo s. It has more standard options and just performs amazingly. All the active handling stuff just makes the car a joy to drive and it never feels on the verge of being out of control under WOT like a typical high performance sedan. The PTTS without all the sport buttons turned on doesn’t shift jerky and has a very tame linear power delivery. No boost lag to kick out and make the car suddenly goooooooo. For thethe weekend drives, hit sport mode, and it feels like a sports car.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:15 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
Honestly if you can swing it, get the turbo s. It has more standard options and just performs amazingly. All the active handling stuff just makes the car a joy to drive and it never feels on the verge of being out of control under WOT like a typical high performance sedan. The PTTS without all the sport buttons turned on doesn’t shift jerky and has a very tame linear power delivery. No boost lag to kick out and make the car suddenly goooooooo. For thethe weekend drives, hit sport mode, and it feels like a sports car.
All very true statements there. I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:15 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Today I drove 2014 Panemera GTS, 2014 E63S, 2015 M6 Gran Coupe side by side. Overall I found Panamera to be the best - amazing handling, nice exhaust, fabulous interior with GTS package, high gloss black wheels. M6 was a close second, handling was close to GTS. Power was higher but it didn't feel significantly faster. On pushing the car, I noticed some wheel slippage. Interior was typical BMW kinda plain - GTS has much better interior. Driving position felt low and sporty.

Ideal vehicle for me would be GTS with more power and torque. That subject is close to GTS vs Turbo comparison. In the past I had even started a thread about the same "How to make Turbo as engaging as GTS". Not sure if there is a perfect answer. I have even tried Turbo with Sport exhaust - the overall sporty nature of GTS is still a notch higher. What do you think?

E63S was a distant third. It has the sound. But the handling is nowhere close to the other two. Just felt like I was driving a fast car without much engagement.

Interested in hearing perspectives about M6 GC. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2018, 07:43 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

The M6 is a very good looking at inside and out. 2015 on up the interiors with full leather are really nice. They have great power and great road manners but they do not have the road sucking feel of a panamera - more sedan than sports car but still you would be disappointed. They are an uncommon unique car among all of the 5 and 4/3 series. More sporty than the Benz but the lack of AWD is sort of a downer. Honestly I’d be more interested in a 2016 B6 Alpina AWD - they aren’t as track worhty but they are super powerful cruisers, quiet comfortable and very exclusive. Just get a warranty!!!!!!

Id still take a 2011-2013 Panamera turbo s over any BMW. They just are something special. You can find 2014 turbo under 70k easily with low miles. Turbo S is a bit tougher yet for 2014 on up. Some things I like more in the 2014, some things not so much. For the money you’re better off finding a 1 owner 2012-2013 with low miles will all the options and saving a ton of money. The 2014 really isn’t a huge refresh for a $10,000-15,000 premium, especially with the 2017’s out.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:25 PM
c4racer
Pro

BMW sedans just don't hold up to the Panamera. And I am coming from past history of 8 bmws and half were M cars and one 911.

Panamera is the sedan to get for a sports car feeling sedan - period. Nothing compares. Just pick the power level you want / need and go.

I have the 400hp S and it's plenty fast. I think the GTS V8 is the one to get or a turbo if you find a good car for reasonable $$.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 PM
rajctt
Instructor

I think for me ultimately it comes down to GTS or Turbo. There are various threads in this forum on the same topic. Specially I am looking for a car which is "engaging and fun". I have driven both GTS and Turbo couple of times and I have found GTS to be more engaging. Maybe because of the exhaust note, convenience of paddle shifting (most Turbo had those button shifts), or the GTS interior trim. Personally I have experienced the Turbo engine in my CTT for almost 4 years. While it has grunt, it is too quiet when I want some edginess.

Do you really feel GTS is more sporty than Turbo? Or does it have to do with options, wherein most GTS have the sporty options and Turbos are generally equipped with luxury options?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:45 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

I like the GTS trim packages a lot. They have some real appearance appeal an extra stuff/optons but the Turbo S is hard to ignore. Certainly the GTS is plenty for most driving.

I think the sport exhaust using the paddle shifters in sport chrono is pretty........satisfying on the turbo!!! I like the powah! Turbo S offers a little more HP/TQ over the GTS than is factory advertised too.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:31 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Quick question:
PDCC and PTV are part of the same option, meaning both are included or none?
Check this out - http://porsche.databatrix.com/WP0AC2A78FL070016

This cars seems to have PDCC (in PASM package) but no PTV - option 351. Is that normal?

Quick Reply: Advice on this GTS