Panamera 2010-Current

Another Transmission Issue Thread. 2012 Panamera S

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 01:03 PM
rx7ven
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Transmission Issue Thread. 2012 Panamera S

i just bought my 2012 Panamera S less than a month ago with 74k miles, it was in good running condition. I drove it home last night and parked in the garage with no issues. Tried to go to work this morning so I fired her up and immediately got a "Transmission Fault" indicator as well as the check engine indicator. Tried to reverse out of my driveway but no go. It just revved like it was in neutral. Good thing I bought a warranty because I read so much about the transmission issue with this car or the air suspensions failing. Just waiting for my tow to bring it to the dealer now. I will update the thread with what the dealer finds.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:28 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought these were pretty solid transmissions in the 970-971 generations. Also used in the 911.

It could also be the clutch which is a wear item and may not be covered under warrantee. I don't know the typical service life but it has a clutch like a traditional manual so that needs to be replaced at some point.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:01 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Probably meant PDK here. I believe PCNA usually authorizes replacing the whole transmission in these cases.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:37 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Yikes, a very similar problem was reported in this thread just a couple months ago. Supposedly the main shaft broke, but don't know what the final resolution was. (I have a '12 P4 with just about 80K miles on it) Good luck, hopefully its not that bad!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:41 AM
rx7ven
Intermediate

yea, i read quite a few of these threads before purchasing my panamera. If its not the PDK, its the air suspenions and both are expensive to fix, which is why i got a warranty. I just hope the tranmission wont need to replace as that is going to cost upwards of 15k and according to the fine print on my warranty, will only pay 12.5k maximum throughout the whole contract if im understanding this correctly. And if so, that would suck as i just paid 4k for this warranty and is used up in less than 1 month.
Limits of Liability:a) The aggregate limit of liability for each Service Contract will be the greater of the average trade in value of the vehicle as providedby the NADA guidelines as of the date of a filed claim or $12,500. Once the maximum limit of liability has been reached, as defined above, this contract, itstransfer and cancellation rights terminate.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 AM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I got one without air suspension. But mine is CPO for 2 years anyway !
Old 06-27-2018, 07:28 PM
rx7ven
Intermediate

so its about 2 weeks now and the car is just sitting at the porsche dealership because my 3rd party warranty company "red shield protection plan" is avoiding my service adviser. My service adviser calls me to give me updates and apparently red shield sends their agent out to inspect the car and gathers the fault codes and information, then later someone else calls and ask them to fax them the fault codes, even though their agent just came out to collect that info. days goes by with nothing from red shield, my service adviser calls them and was told the agent that he previously worked with is no longer with thhe company, so he starts the claim process over again. Another agent comes out to inspect the car, days goes by again and nothing. He calls them and gets put on hold for a really long time. he hangs up, calls back and gets put on hold again, after that they won't even pick up his calls anymore. Meanwhile my caris just sitting at the dealership. Have any one dealt with a 3rd party warranty service that is not responsive? and what can i do? I read about these warranty scams but those are mostly from phone scams or what not, but i bought this from a reputable used car dealer. I also just emailed my used car salesmen, waiting to hear back, even though i dont think theres anything he can do.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:01 PM
hme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the risk is always there by going with a 3rd party warranty company... So what are your options at this point? Sue the 3rd party warranty company?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:08 PM
rx7ven
Intermediate

thats a good question. I'm not sure what i can do and was hoping someone on here can help. The service advisor said he will try to call again today and tomorrow morning and also to ask for a manager. Otherwise he said, i will have to try and get a hold on them but i dont think i'll have any better luck than him, especially when it states that in order to file a claim, the dealer must call.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:36 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Did the dealership diagnose the problem and $$ amount for the repair? Or are the awaiting the ok from the warranty company to tear into it?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:26 PM
rx7ven
Intermediate

they diagnose the issue by pulling the fault code but did not perform any repairs and need approval from the warranty company to tear into it. the also let the warranty company know that the initial estimate may or may not fix the issue. if it doesnt fix the issue, the transmission will need to be replaced.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Albarq
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rx7ven
they diagnose the issue by pulling the fault code but did not perform any repairs and need approval from the warranty company to tear into it. the also let the warranty company know that the initial estimate may or may not fix the issue. if it doesnt fix the issue, the transmission will need to be replaced.
I wonder to know How did you fix this issue
Old 09-04-2018, 04:33 AM
rx7ven
Intermediate

apologies for the late reply. i actually just got my car back last week. It has been a nightmare. Went back and forth with the after market warranty company and they are denying the repairs. i reached out to my sales guy and he reached out the his warranty rep. lots of back and forth for a month and even escalated to porsche of north america and no one wants to pay for the repairs. i eventually forked out $12k to have a new transmission put in at my porsche dealership and requested a refund for the warranty from the sales person. if anyone ever encounters red shield protection services, stay far far away.

Quick Reply: Another Transmission Issue Thread. 2012 Panamera S