Panamera 2010-Current

My S e-Hybrid (with custom exhaust) Video

Old 05-23-2018, 03:48 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My S e-Hybrid (with custom exhaust) Video

Hello,

I've had my Panamera S E-Hybrid for around 6 months now and I thought I'd make a video talking through it and answering some of the questions i had before I purchased the car.

Also, if anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:02 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your jeans Zara or Balmain?
Old 05-24-2018, 04:20 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Originally Posted by Andial
Are your jeans Zara or Balmain?
lol neither They are Forever 21.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM
bigtruth
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tazer,

Could you please advise where you got your exhaust done? I am thinking of having it done on mine.

I am in UK...

Thanks..
Old 05-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Tazer
Track Day

Originally Posted by bigtruth
Hi Tazer,

Could you please advise where you got your exhaust done? I am thinking of having it done on mine.

I am in UK...

Thanks..

Hi! I fitted it myself. It’s literally just a straight titanium pipe system with back boxes. However I would recommend you get stainless steel as it will be easier to repair and modify in the future. It will also be a lot cheaper and sound the same.

if you need someone to fit it for you, give me a shout. I have a garage I work out of and it has all the tools including a car lift. It takes about 3 hours. The hardest part is finding somewhere to store the old exhaust system as it’s a massive one-piece unit. Haha
Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Bigboyrolo
Track Day

Short lcal journey.

I leave the spoiler up all the time.

There to activate Connect.
Hi Tazer, good to see a post from a UK owner of an S e-Hybrid. Good video, well edited with nice inserts. White/red looks good but we also like black/cream (no kids now). I bought mine in March with 20k on it, almost 2 ys old from Porsche Glasgow (although I live in Norfolk), after heavy pressure from Mrs B to move on from my Macan. We had the choice of 3 others elsewhere but extras and colours of this one suited us best, so we rented a car one way and made a weekend of it.

One comment/query I have, on which you or anyone may care to respond is about the indicated fully charged E-range. Usually I have 11 miles, sometimes 12 after a full charge, it has not increased in the warmer weather as I was told it would, and I expect to see more, 18 to 20 as Porsche claim. In other words, could the battery capacity be reducing with use, and perhaps worthy of a warranty claim? I may write to Porsche GB for a comment, am not convinced dealers know enough about hybrids yet ad exec wold fobbed off with techno speak.

I fully understand that indicated range will not translate into actual driving range, which is often more than I expect and with regen etc will vary on every journey.

Despite this I am delighted with the Hybrid aspect of the car, on sub 25 mile local journeys, I see very impressive mpg and mostly in silence. The PCM shows 35mpg long term, optimistic perhaps, but better than the 24 indicated on my Macan. My opinion is that plug in Hybrids are the best option for those who do longer journeys, I do 4000 miles pa or more in Europe. I recently got to Folkestone Euro Shuttle from N Norfolk with 5 miles e-range and 397 petrol range indicated, even the higher range Teslas couldn't do that. If relying on a pure EV, both charging points were ot of action! I added fuel over 300 miles later still with over 50 mile range left.

My experience of using e-charge when cruising is that the mpg penalty is minimal, so on longer journeys, I try to ensure that I have a good e-range left when I exit a motorway to my destination.

Your info about the engine firing up to pre-warm seems true, mine often starts when I don't need it, running at low revs, then goes off, makes sense.

I was hoping Porsche would offer an e-Hybrid Macan later this year, but it seems they won't, so I'll stck with my Panamera for now.

Last edited by Bigboyrolo; 06-15-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:50 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Was one of the mistake Porsche made not having sports exhaust on the S E-Hybrid
I had thought of doing something with mine, but JCT said it would invalidate the warranty on areas of the car, and possibly the engine if Porsche could slightly blame the exhaust.
Sounds good.
Sports exhaust was the first option I ticked on the new 4 E Hybrid.

Your interior is same as what I had in mine, back then it was a about a £500 extra.
Nice car.
Over 38500miles my average was 38.3mpg

-bigtruth, if your anywhere near Leeds, Tony Banks did my quad exhaust on my 640d, and a few custom ones for my son.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:23 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by K777
I had thought of doing something with mine, but JCT said it would invalidate the warranty on areas of the car, and possibly the engine if Porsche could slightly blame the exhaust.
Sounds good.

Your interior is same as what I had in mine, back then it was a about a £500 extra.
Nice car.

-bigtruth, if your anywhere near Leeds, Tony Banks did my quad exhaust on my 640d, and a few custom ones for my son.
What’s your opinion on the sports exhaust on your 4 E Hybrid?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:03 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FriscoTexasGuy

What’s your opinion on the sports exhaust on your 4 E Hybrid?
I love it. Often turn to sports plus just for some decent noise and a gurgle.
Especially near a Tesla

So much better than standard.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:45 AM
MAXIME75US
Intermediate

Hi, Good video!))

I was wondering if, as the other panameras, it was possible to let the exhaust valves open at all times...
Which would have been a simple fix or simplier
Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Tazer
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bigboyrolo

Short lcal journey.

I leave the spoiler up all the time.

There to activate Connect.
Hi Tazer, good to see a post from a UK owner of an S e-Hybrid. Good video, well edited with nice inserts. White/red looks good but we also like black/cream (no kids now). I bought mine in March with 20k on it, almost 2 ys old from Porsche Glasgow (although I live in Norfolk), after heavy pressure from Mrs B to move on from my Macan. We had the choice of 3 others elsewhere but extras and colours of this one suited us best, so we rented a car one way and made a weekend of it.

One comment/query I have, on which you or anyone may care to respond is about the indicated fully charged E-range. Usually I have 11 miles, sometimes 12 after a full charge, it has not increased in the warmer weather as I was told it would, and I expect to see more, 18 to 20 as Porsche claim. In other words, could the battery capacity be reducing with use, and perhaps worthy of a warranty claim? I may write to Porsche GB for a comment, am not convinced dealers know enough about hybrids yet ad exec wold fobbed off with techno speak.

I fully understand that indicated range will not translate into actual driving range, which is often more than I expect and with regen etc will vary on every journey.

Despite this I am delighted with the Hybrid aspect of the car, on sub 25 mile local journeys, I see very impressive mpg and mostly in silence. The PCM shows 35mpg long term, optimistic perhaps, but better than the 24 indicated on my Macan. My opinion is that plug in Hybrids are the best option for those who do longer journeys, I do 4000 miles pa or more in Europe. I recently got to Folkestone Euro Shuttle from N Norfolk with 5 miles e-range and 397 petrol range indicated, even the higher range Teslas couldn't do that. If relying on a pure EV, both charging points were ot of action! I added fuel over 300 miles later still with over 50 mile range left.

My experience of using e-charge when cruising is that the mpg penalty is minimal, so on longer journeys, I try to ensure that I have a good e-range left when I exit a motorway to my destination.

Your info about the engine firing up to pre-warm seems true, mine often starts when I don't need it, running at low revs, then goes off, makes sense.

I was hoping Porsche would offer an e-Hybrid Macan later this year, but it seems they won't, so I'll stck with my Panamera for now.

Hey, I'm glad you liked the video. I think you made a great choice, your spec looks really nice, I'm loving the rims. I wanted them on mine but when I purchased I only saw cars with the Turbo II rims. I now have 2 sets of them as I kept my set from my old Panamera.

To answer your question about the range, I believe that 11, 12 miles indicated is the amount I often see. I was in the same boat as you when I got my car and I too also thought this may be a warranty issue. However, the indicated range varies depending on how you last drove the vehicle. So times where I have just cruised along at 50/60mph using e-power only for an extended period, the car has indicated to me 18miles of e-range when I have next started it. Therefore I have come to the understanding that the indicated "e-range" is more like a estimate to what the computer thinks you will achieve based on your driving style from the previous journey. I would recommend that maybe you go for a cruise with minimum start/stop traffic (maybe on a dual carriageway) and just cruise along at around 50/60mph using e-power only. Then the next time you start the car after a full charge it should go up. If it doesn't it may possibly be a battery issue, however I doubt this is the case as the battery packs in these cars are designed for thousands of charge cycles.

I agree with you also about the efficiency of the car. I too do a lot of miles and I find that as long as I charge the car before my journeys I can get 50ish MPG (usually around 47). However the pain is charging the car when you actually reach your destination. I find that the lack of charge points in the UK means that I just end up lugging around the extra weight of the battery pack without getting any of its advantages on the way home.

Funny you should say that about "e-charge", I find that it significantly effects my MPG to the point that I have calculated it to be more efficient to not use it and to instead rely on the engine instead. On numerous occasions "e-charge" has made my MPG drop so significantly that I pretty mush never use it haha.

Finally, the Hybrid Macan will not be happening until the completely refresh the model (new chassis and engine) as I found out from Porsche that it would take too much money to convert the existing chassis from the Audi Q5 to support all the Hybrid parts. Annoying, because the Macan is such a good looking car that drives very well. A Hybrid model would have been the icing on the cake.

In the meantime I have also done a video for tips on maximising the e-range on the car, check it out when you can.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Tazer
Track Day

Originally Posted by K777
Sounds good.

Nice car.

I agree, putting a sports exhaust on this model should have been a no-brainer, not quite sure as to their logic of doing otherwise.
I still have my old exhaust sytem, so if I ever have an issue I will slap it back on before heading to Porsche haha
Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Tazer
Track Day

Cool

Originally Posted by MAXIME75US
Hi, Good video!))

I was wondering if, as the other panameras, it was possible to let the exhaust valves open at all times...
Which would have been a simple fix or simplier
Thank you!

Unfortunately this isn't possible as the exhaust isn't valved. Also, because the exhaust is literally one long single piece, you cant even modify it without cutting it in half. Therefore, my only option was to get an entirely new system on the car so that the old one can go back on when I sell it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My S e-Hybrid (with custom exhaust) Video