Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 04:57 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've said it several times that I had to switch dealers after 3 months of waiting for them to get the allocation. A few points about that... I am in SoCal and have 5 dealers within 25 miles of me and maybe another 4 or 5 within 50, so I have choices if I want to deal with a local guy. Second, I put my order in in November and waited until end of January to jump ship. At that time, there probably were a few more 2018 allocations floating around than there are now. Right now, obviously there aren't as many as there were 4 months ago.

Third, the SA I ditched was a friend and a great guy. He'd been working for the local Audi dealer for a long time and bought several cars from him. An aficionado of air-cooled 911s, Euro power wagons (he had an S4 Avant he dearly loved) and muscle cars, he's a car guy through and through. He had just moved over to the Porsche shop just a few months before I decided I needed a ST. And yet, when his dealership couldn't get me the allocation within the timeframe I wanted, and another dealer had one IN HAND, I had to move on. Very hard decision, maybe a dick move on my part, but I've been called worse. Worse yet, the dealer I wound up ordering from is one that I've been reluctant to deal with in the past due to various reasons.

So I guess I'm telling you guys this because well... don't jump ship just because your SA can't pin down an allocation with REAL build/ship/delivery dates (especially this late in the model year where allocations for unbuilt Pannys might be scarce), but definitely call around to see if there might be another dealer with an allocation ready to go. And if you do find one, don't feel bad about pulling your deposit and ditching the original dealer.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:06 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

My sales associate and his GM said that I got my allocation confirmed for the Panamera. I then asked for a commission code, eta on delivery dates, etc, and he said that we have to wait two weeks for me to get you all of that info.

Last night, he asked me for my final configuration code, which I replied: I’m far away from a lock date, but here’s a config that is very close to being my final. I was taken a little aback by this request from him. He’s a nice guy, always replied to texts, but he doesn’t seem to be a fighter. I asked for Dolomite Samples and he said that he checked the drawer and that it wasn’t in there. I then asked for an email or contact info for someone at corporate so I could call them and ask them for it, never replied to it. However, it took about 9 days from him submitting me into the queue (request for allocation) to him saying that I received it. And this is for a Executive which I heard is hard to allocations for upfront since a lot of dealers don’t have them.

Would I leave him? No, because i want him to be my ‘Porsche’ guy where i can hopefully develop a good relationship with the dealer and get first dibs to the goodies. Anyways, that’s my experience...
Old 05-17-2018, 06:58 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

There is more value in having a good relationship with a service advisor than with a sales associate or sales manager. There is generally a high turn-over rate with the sales staff and they may have moved on by the time you are ready to purchase your next vehicle. Also, their responsibility ends after the sale. Of the three Porsche dealerships that I have used, the sales associates and sales managers are no longer there. Meanwhile, the service advisor will be there to address your maintenance needs and problems that may arise. That is, the service advisor is more important to your post-sale and long term ownership experience.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:47 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Originally Posted by ssiminou
My sales associate and his GM said that I got my allocation confirmed for the Panamera. I then asked for a commission code, eta on delivery dates, etc, and he said that we have to wait two weeks for me to get you all of that info.

Last night, he asked me for my final configuration code, which I replied: I’m far away from a lock date, but here’s a config that is very close to being my final. I was taken a little aback by this request from him. He’s a nice guy, always replied to texts, but he doesn’t seem to be a fighter. I asked for Dolomite Samples and he said that he checked the drawer and that it wasn’t in there. I then asked for an email or contact info for someone at corporate so I could call them and ask them for it, never replied to it. However, it took about 9 days from him submitting me into the queue (request for allocation) to him saying that I received it. And this is for a Executive which I heard is hard to allocations for upfront since a lot of dealers don’t have them.

Would I leave him? No, because i want him to be my ‘Porsche’ guy where i can hopefully develop a good relationship with the dealer and get first dibs to the goodies. Anyways, that’s my experience...
Well, if you do have an allocation confirmed, getting good service and an acceptable deal then you'd be foolish to leave. But if you don't have that confirmed allocation, that's when I'm telling people they should let their fingers dial the number to the next nearest dealer.

As far as having your "Porsche guy," well... I do currently have a service manager who I'd walk through hot coals to give him my business. But as far as sales, I did have a GM who I thought was my long-term contact I could rely on (same shop as the SM). Was there for awhile, knew his products, ins & outs of PCNA and the mothership in Zuffenhausen, awesome friendly guy who only assigned a SA to me because of protocol, i.e., I dealt directly with him most of the time. One day, poof! he's gone. So I dunno what region of the country you live in; I suspect in areas outside major metropolitan areas, sales staff for luxury car dealers might be a little more stable, but in big cities? They're not celebrating 30 year anniversaries for SAs working for one dealership and I'd be weary about being loyal to any SA or any dealership.

Oh and about developing a good relationship so you might in the future get first dibs? This, and other recent threads about how if you spent or about to spend upwards of $200k on a car, you deserve... shall we say a certain "kind" of customer service, requires a bit of perspective. Umm... how do I say this without antagonizing too many people... I mean ok, you buy a Porsche and you deserve to be treated infinitely better than if you walker into a Kia dealer. You deserve respect, professionalism, prompt and clear communication, and a courteous and friendly attitude. In a couple of months, I'm gonna put my 3rd concurrent P car in my driveway and I'm paying cash. I'd love to swap my 991.1 cab for a 991.2 GT3 Touring with 6MT and PTS, can pay for the diff in cash too but can't get my head around the dealers' "market adjustment" surcharge. I'm friendly and developed some nice friendships with people associated with Porsche and Porsche dealers BUT, BUT, BUT... I don't consider myself high on anybody's customer totem pole as far as preferential treatment is concerned.

There are too many Porsche customers with fatter wallets than me snapping up 918s, 911Rs, GT2RSs, as well as lesser P cars for their 3rd mistresses, cousins and in-laws. Oh they're gonna treat me nice sure. But unless I've contributed at least low 7 figures to their revenue over the years, I don't expect the "super duper treatment." Ok, that doesn't prevent me from asking for a favor, but I temper expectations that I'm probably not gonna get it and if I do, be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Tell
My building does not have a garage although there's one across the street. It's got to be the most expensive garage in Manhattan. I used to have a garage a couple of blocks away but week two of my GL450 they crushed the bumper... And I kept on finding street parking on my way to it.

Anyway, I only come in on the weekends... I send a txt with my eta to my doorman and the guy's a genius at holding a spot for us outside the building!
I think of the GL as the German Escalade. I have had experience w/ a 2007 450. I don't actually like the new Mercedes design language/technology and prefer the more old school look of the first gen GL, although the current gen UI is more capable.
You should look at Jerry Seinfeld's UWS garage. Now that's an expensive garage.
http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/0...nhattan-garage
wolfmobil on Rennlist has a good relationship w/ MMC Porsche. Maybe he could help you out. Bad experiences w/ dealerships sadly overshadow the greatness of the products they sell.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Well, if you do have an allocation confirmed, getting good service and an acceptable deal then you'd be foolish to leave. But if you don't have that confirmed allocation, that's when I'm telling people they should let their fingers dial the number to the next nearest dealer.

As far as having your "Porsche guy," well... I do currently have a service manager who I'd walk through hot coals to give him my business. But as far as sales, I did have a GM who I thought was my long-term contact I could rely on (same shop as the SM). Was there for awhile, knew his products, ins & outs of PCNA and the mothership in Zuffenhausen, awesome friendly guy who only assigned a SA to me because of protocol, i.e., I dealt directly with him most of the time. One day, poof! he's gone. So I dunno what region of the country you live in; I suspect in areas outside major metropolitan areas, sales staff for luxury car dealers might be a little more stable, but in big cities? They're not celebrating 30 year anniversaries for SAs working for one dealership and I'd be weary about being loyal to any SA or any dealership.

Oh and about developing a good relationship so you might in the future get first dibs? This, and other recent threads about how if you spent or about to spend upwards of $200k on a car, you deserve... shall we say a certain "kind" of customer service, requires a bit of perspective. Umm... how do I say this without antagonizing too many people... I mean ok, you buy a Porsche and you deserve to be treated infinitely better than if you walker into a Kia dealer. You deserve respect, professionalism, prompt and clear communication, and a courteous and friendly attitude. In a couple of months, I'm gonna put my 3rd concurrent P car in my driveway and I'm paying cash. I'd love to swap my 991.1 cab for a 991.2 GT3 Touring with 6MT and PTS, can pay for the diff in cash too but can't get my head around the dealers' "market adjustment" surcharge. I'm friendly and developed some nice friendships with people associated with Porsche and Porsche dealers BUT, BUT, BUT... I don't consider myself high on anybody's customer totem pole as far as preferential treatment is concerned.

There are too many Porsche customers with fatter wallets than me snapping up 918s, 911Rs, GT2RSs, as well as lesser P cars for their 3rd mistresses, cousins and in-laws. Oh they're gonna treat me nice sure. But unless I've contributed at least low 7 figures to their revenue over the years, I don't expect the "super duper treatment." Ok, that doesn't prevent me from asking for a favor, but I temper expectations that I'm probably not gonna get it and if I do, be pleasantly surprised.
SoCal is a cutthroat Porsche market. You might want to check out Porsche Fresno as they are in for the long haul. Only two previous Porsches makes it hard to get a PTS GT car regardless of how you pay for it. Dealers prefer finance/leasing as they get kickbacks and benefits.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Originally Posted by Andial
SoCal is a cutthroat Porsche market. You might want to check out Porsche Fresno as they are in for the long haul. Only two previous Porsches makes it hard to get a PTS GT car regardless of how you pay for it. Dealers prefer finance/leasing as they get kickbacks and benefits.
Oh no I've picked up and sold a couple others. It's how many I own right now. Don't need a new dealer as I have my allocation. Incidentally, I too used to own an '07 MB GL450 'barge.' Twas great for road trips!

Last edited by lbcgolf; 05-17-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by lbcgolf

Oh no I've picked up and sold a couple others. It's how many I own right now. Don't need a new dealer as I have my allocation. Incidentally, I too used to own an '07 MB GL450 'barge.' Twas great for road trips!
Perfect for ski trips to Mammoth or the Costco run.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andial
Perfect for ski trips to Mammoth or the Costco run.
my GL has 99,200 miles. She’s a real pig. But I’ve grown to love her. When the new version is released with the upgraded avionics (as opposed to that pathetic little iPad that’s been glued to the console), I’ll get a new one.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ssiminou
Will, I took one of your builds and added some stuff that I would choose on 'my' turbo. Here's the code: PJEL7GC6

You're wife will definitely hate me for it...
Dont think I replied—sorry—fabulous build. TBH, I’m not too bothered about the mats... You know what I’d really like and would seriously consider? Crest or model STITCHED into to headrests in the same color as the offset stitching. I’ve seen it in other Porsches but don’t think it’s available in the 971. Also, I wish in the stitching option there was something in the back of the seat—you know—where your actual back goes. When you get the leather offset inserts they leave out the two or three lines (two for 14-way, three for 18-way). That looks really cool and I wish they did something like that with the stitching. I can’t go with the 18-way. It’s not that I’m THAT fat, it’s just I’m used to the bench seats in my GL. Feels like I’m getting into a sarcophagus. FFS let me drive the thing a bit before I take the long trip upstairs (via the down for a couple of decades, I’m sure).
Old 05-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Will Tell. IMO, I like the black with chalk inserts, but not as much as the contrast stitching alone. I think I like the Chalk stitching more than the red. Never a fan of red interior even though I had it on a Cadillac about 30 years ago. But either way, I am not crazy about the aluminum trim. I would go with either the piano black or the carbon fiber. To me, the Fiber is classier than the aluminum. And I typically go for the classy look over the sporty look. I know it is tough, but you will keep looking at different views and you will have a VOILA moment and say that is it!! Cherish the madness. Interesting tidbits about the factory closure and delivery delays. I am having a hard time getting a definitive date, even though I ordered almost 4 months ago. I have gone from November to August to July and now September. Wish I could have some summer to enjoy it.
That’s good advice panaTJ! The red is striking but consensus, PLUS MY FU....N wife, is tipping the scales to chalk. And I’m cool with that. I do wish the chrono and tach dials were chalk and not white, though. Siiiiigh. And then carbon inserts as opposed to piano or aluminum.

SM said he’d get back to me yesterday. Promised, in fact. And an email to the SA asking if he was in today went unanswered.

Close to blowinf this up!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:48 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

One time a Sales Associate never got back to me, so when I got a promotional/generated email from his manager asking me to not hesitate and reach out to him directly with any problems, I did, and the SA from then on replied 10x faster to texts and emails.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:12 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

So Will Tell - which combination are we going for?
What have we decided?
Old 05-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by Will Tell

Dont think I replied—sorry—fabulous build. TBH, I’m not too bothered about the mats... You know what I’d really like and would seriously consider? Crest or model STITCHED into to headrests in the same color as the offset stitching. I’ve seen it in other Porsches but don’t think it’s available in the 971. Also, I wish in the stitching option there was something in the back of the seat—you know—where your actual back goes. When you get the leather offset inserts they leave out the two or three lines (two for 14-way, three for 18-way). That looks really cool and I wish they did something like that with the stitching. I can’t go with the 18-way. It’s not that I’m THAT fat, it’s just I’m used to the bench seats in my GL. Feels like I’m getting into a sarcophagus. FFS let me drive the thing a bit before I take the long trip upstairs (via the down for a couple of decades, I’m sure).
For the headrest stitching, maybe you want to ask if you can have it CXX. I know Ferrari has many headrest combinations.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsyed
So Will Tell - which combination are we going for?
What have we decided?
I did a new post earlier today with a poll for everyone to help me decide the color of my interior highlights (offset stitching, belts, chrono and tach). I'm not tracking who's opined so maybe you have already. I'm a little surprised; chalk in front 3-1!

Thanks for all your help, Guys, but I think once the color is decided I'm going to let go and commit.

I didn't get married until my early 40s so it's tough...

Cheers!
-WT

Quick Reply: New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!