Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!

Old 05-15-2018, 11:33 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I am from Austria (800km away from Stuttgart) and I just placed my order 6 weeks week ago. Production scheduled for last week of June.

I wanted the "bi color" leather - ie black seats with chalk inserts. My SA told me that this was not possible for MY2018. If I wanted that combination, I would have to wait for a MY2019 production and since the production is being switched to WLTP measurements, the production of the MY2019 could be delayed to October-November. That is why there is a rush on side of Porsha to get as many MY18 cars produced as possible before the official switch to WLTP... This is what the SA tells me... so no gurantee for the correctness :-)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsyed
I am from Austria (800km away from Stuttgart) and I just placed my order 6 weeks week ago. Production scheduled for last week of June.

I wanted the "bi color" leather - ie black seats with chalk inserts. My SA told me that this was not possible for MY2018. If I wanted that combination, I would have to wait for a MY2019 production and since the production is being switched to WLTP measurements, the production of the MY2019 could be delayed to October-November. That is why there is a rush on side of Porsha to get as many MY18 cars produced as possible before the official switch to WLTP... This is what the SA tells me... so no gurantee for the correctness :-)
Wow, rysed, that's really interesting... it does make sense. I'm still waiting on a clear answer from my SA regarding the stitching because, as I said, it looks really good, too. But it is really annoying to be in the middle of May and to be told that, even when you have an allocation, delivery times vary greatly depending on options. Wie sagt Mann das auf Deutsche? Superscheize! Vielen Danke!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

As promised, these are my interiors. There should be 3 interiors, 4 photos each. There should be PJHBRFS4: black plus Bordeaux stitching, belts, chrono, and tach; PJ1RLP90: black plus chalk stitching, belts, white tach and chrono; and PJJR3BP3: The "Oreo" interior, chalk with black seat inserts, carbon interior and carbon steering wheel. The two "stitch" interiors have the aluminum interiors and standard (heated) steering wheel.

I won't go into the pricing but you all know the stitching is $5K. I save a little by getting rid of the carbon inserts and wheel.

Just wish I knew how much "less" of a delay stitching over inserts means...

Let me know what you think... you're opinions--as they have when I first started all this--mean a great deal. And yes, my wife hates you all. Though perhaps not quite as much as me.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:52 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I really like the black leather with red stitching and seat belts - FWIW. Is the exterior silver? I like a contrasting interior to exterior for the most part. On silver I like black interior, on dark blue or black / charcoal gray exteriors I like a two tone light gray or white / black interior with the seats in light gray / white but darker (black) door cards / dash and flooring. In a perfect world anyway!

I like dark red interiors on some cars - for example a white or light gray silver / gray 911 or M3/4 looks stunning with a dark red interior. Probably wouldn't go there in a Pano, although I've seen it in the F10 M5 and didn't hate it. But if I were choosing that wouldn't be my first choice for a sedan.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:42 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by c4racer
I really like the black leather with red stitching and seat belts - FWIW. Is the exterior silver? I like a contrasting interior to exterior for the most part. On silver I like black interior, on dark blue or black / charcoal gray exteriors I like a two tone light gray or white / black interior with the seats in light gray / white but darker (black) door cards / dash and flooring. In a perfect world anyway!

I like dark red interiors on some cars - for example a white or light gray silver / gray 911 or M3/4 looks stunning with a dark red interior. Probably wouldn't go there in a Pano, although I've seen it in the F10 M5 and didn't hate it. But if I were choosing that wouldn't be my first choice for a sedan.
c4racer, yes, the car is going to be silver (Dolomite). And I take your point regarding contrasting the inside with the outside. If I'm being honest with myself I think the red is my favorite, too. I also like the fact that it ties in with those things you click the seatbelts into (receivers?) as well as the break calipers on the outside. It's also "sporty" without being too flash and it changes up the monotony of all black. I'll be driving mostly with my family so I don't want them to think they're getting into a ****-box.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Kevin1017
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also interested in the new dolomite silver, still have another month before they lock my order, so hopefully can see some pics of this color before that. If no luck, then I will have to make a decision between dolomite silver and standard white (prefer it over the carrara white), it was so weird that I couldn't choose Rhodium Silver or Agate Grey with the 2+1 rear seat option...btw, we moved out of NYC last year, loved the time there, but just needed a bigger space
Old 05-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin1017
I am also interested in the new dolomite silver, still have another month before they lock my order, so hopefully can see some pics of this color before that. If no luck, then I will have to make a decision between dolomite silver and standard white (prefer it over the carrara white), it was so weird that I couldn't choose Rhodium Silver or Agate Grey with the 2+1 rear seat option...btw, we moved out of NYC last year, loved the time there, but just needed a bigger space
Kevin1017, didn't know the 2+1 wasn't offered with the Rhodium Silver or Agate Grey... I'll try a build and see what happens... NYC is great. Definitely not a driver's town; not for the faint of heart, but I always laugh when I see such nice cars parked on the street.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Tell
Kevin1017, didn't know the 2+1 wasn't offered with the Rhodium Silver or Agate Grey... I'll try a build and see what happens... NYC is great. Definitely not a driver's town; not for the faint of heart, but I always laugh when I see such nice cars parked on the street.
What's the nicest car you have seen street parked? What's your parking situation in Manhattan? I have seen a Mercedes-Benz G550 street parked in Manhattan.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 PM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you seen the aluminum trim in person? I wanted an alternative to the black (because of scratches) and carbon was too expensive but once I saw them, I immediately took carbon. Unfortunately the aluminum trim had something yellowish to it. Furthermore, every trim has a silverish part at the bottom of the trim. If you took the aluminium trim, the color of the trim clashes big time with the bottom part because they are off by miles. One is silverish, the other yellowish. Not my cup of tea...😊

Last edited by rsyed; 05-16-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:36 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Dolomite silver with a dark red interior would be pretty sweet too. I wouldn't kick it out of the garage !
Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c4racer
Dolomite silver with a dark red interior would be pretty sweet too. I wouldn't kick it out of the garage !
I wrote extensively about choosing Bordeaux red and how my wife took one look at it and called it Bordello red. Me: “Let’s take the Panamera, Sweetheart...” Wife: “I’m not getting in your bloody whorehouse! I’m your wife, not your pute!” So, yeah, no.

Was, in fact, just at the dealership trying to finalize the interior. Of course, the giant screen configurator was not working. But, more importantly, not only is the deviated seat inserts option delayed, so is the deviated stitching which was offered as an alternative because it was not supposed to be delayed!!!

FFS! Groooaaaan!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm actually in the position where the later my car comes, the better. My Cayenne lease ends in October, and it's so cheap for such a well equipped car that it would make sense for me to extend it. But since I want the Panamera, I'll pray it comes sometime around February/March of 2019, giving me some extra time to enjoy my cheap Cayenne lease before financing the Panamera, and allow Porsche enough time to iron out some details/issues with the hybrid.

WT, I really like the full black leather interior with Chalk Stitching, chalk belts, and white tach + clock. However, I'd consider the carbon fiber. Chalk in general is a modern color, to me, and I think the lighter stitching would benefit from the darker grey of carbon. I honestly think the chalk stitching is enough contrast, so I wouldn't go for the chalk inserts and stitching. On the steering wheel, I'd just do contrast stitching in chalk like you did, but make sure to get the instrument surround in leather with deviated stitching option. It's 1k but makes a big difference when you're driving or looking at it from the side. And the contrast from the chalk makes it even more worth it. I'd also consider doing the special floor mats for $660 with chalk piping and stitching. Once again, the contrast would look cool (now there'd be nice, 'cool' touches of chalk), and could help make the all black floor just a touch interesting. However it would get dirty rather quickly.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:08 AM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ssiminou
I'm actually in the position where the later my car comes, the better. My Cayenne lease ends in October, and it's so cheap for such a well equipped car that it would make sense for me to extend it. But since I want the Panamera, I'll pray it comes sometime around February/March of 2019, giving me some extra time to enjoy my cheap Cayenne lease before financing the Panamera, and allow Porsche enough time to iron out some details/issues with the hybrid.

WT, I really like the full black leather interior with Chalk Stitching, chalk belts, and white tach + clock. However, I'd consider the carbon fiber. Chalk in general is a modern color, to me, and I think the lighter stitching would benefit from the darker grey of carbon. I honestly think the chalk stitching is enough contrast, so I wouldn't go for the chalk inserts and stitching. On the steering wheel, I'd just do contrast stitching in chalk like you did, but make sure to get the instrument surround in leather with deviated stitching option. It's 1k but makes a big difference when you're driving or looking at it from the side. And the contrast from the chalk makes it even more worth it. I'd also consider doing the special floor mats for $660 with chalk piping and stitching. Once again, the contrast would look cool (now there'd be nice, 'cool' touches of chalk), and could help make the all black floor just a touch interesting. However it would get dirty rather quickly.
Ssiminou, I really appreciate your thoughts and input. My visit yesterday evening to the dealer confirmed two things: that 1) not only inserts are delayed, so is the stitching and 2) that the factory is closed through July. That means, realistically, if I want either option I have to wait, probably another 8 weeks on top of the end-of-August delivery date I have now if I just do the one-color interior. I am resigned to this. It's input like yours (and others) that makes me realize that--within reason--I should just do this car right. I've waited my whole life. I'll go to the doctor just to check that I'm not expected to die between end-of-August and, say, November and will then just suck it up and do it right. Will put your suggestions through the configurator when I get a second...

Questions:
  • Is there any benefit to a '19MY car over the '18 and what are the possible differences likely to be?
  • Depending on your thoughts, do you think I should walk away and regroup in anticipation of a '19MY build?
  • Remind me of your build... I'm very curious as to why you know this so well...
As always, SINCERE THANKS for your input!

-WT

Last edited by Will Tell; 05-16-2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Add another question...
Old 05-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsyed
Have you seen the aluminum trim in person? I wanted an alternative to the black (because of scratches) and carbon was too expensive but once I saw them, I immediately took carbon. Unfortunately the aluminum trim had something yellowish to it. Furthermore, every trim has a silverish part at the bottom of the trim. If you took the aluminium trim, the color of the trim clashes big time with the bottom part because they are off by miles. One is silverish, the other yellowish. Not my cup of tea...��

Yes. Didn't notice the yellow so much but the brushing is quite pronounced. But I know what you mean by the chrome frame and that the two clash. Believe it or not I may not choose the carbon. IMHO, I like the carbon with the carbon steering wheel but if I'm getting stitching then I want the regular steering wheel because the colored stitching is on it. The regular piano black is very nice as it matches gauges, etc. That it's free is nice too.

One other thing the SA mentioned is that the brushed aluminum can scratch easily and it shows... I tend to agree. In any event, I did like the Aluminum with the chalk stitching, the black with the Bordeaux and the carbon with the black seat inserts (no deviated stitching).

Last edited by Will Tell; 05-16-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Add another point...
Old 05-16-2018, 01:13 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Tell
Ssiminou, I really appreciate your thoughts and input. My visit yesterday evening to the dealer confirmed two things: that 1) not only inserts are delayed, so is the stitching and 2) that the factory is closed through July. That means, realistically, if I want either option I have to wait, probably another 8 weeks on top of the end-of-August delivery date I have now if I just do the one-color interior. I am resigned to this. It's input like yours (and others) that makes me realize that--within reason--I should just do this car right. I've waited my whole life. I'll go to the doctor just to check that I'm not expected to die between end-of-August and, say, November and will then just suck it up and do it right. Will put your suggestions through the configurator when I get a second...

Questions:
  • Is there any benefit to a '19MY car over the '18 and what are the possible differences likely to be?
  • Depending on your thoughts, do you think I should walk away and regroup in anticipation of a '19MY build?
  • Remind me of your build... I'm very curious as to why you know this so well...
As always, SINCERE THANKS for your input!

-WT

I do not know for sure that there would be any benefits to a MY19;however, I feel like it'd give Porsche more time to solve some kinks, especially with the hybrid that I'm getting.

I would not wait for a MY19. Just order the car you want and wait. It's painful, but the reward and time you waited will make you appreciate and enjoy the car even more. I know all of this stuff so well because I learned how to master the configurator and remember the options and their pricing through the dozens of builds over months of thinking. My build is somewhere above in this thread, but my interior is just the black leather with a Agate exterior and the 21" SportDesign Gloss Black rims. I also added the SportDesign Side Skirts, Painted Mirrors, and Trim in Gloss Silver. My budget does not allow for the extra stitching and inserts, however I have some money left over in the build to add the deviated centers. I'm just not sure I should, especially since I wouldn't have enough money to add the matching seat belts, clock, floor mats, and tach. I might just enjoy my 'low-ish' MSRP of $133,675, or add a bunch of stuff besides the deviated centers to reach my max budget of $135k.

If I had the money, I'd design a car with so much "exclusive" stuff, Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur would delay the car for months...And it'd cost around $170k for a 4 e-hybrid that starts at $105k. The configurator is a game with the options people at Porsche, you cannot win but you can at least try and tame it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!