Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 535XIT
I see that for $1,000 you can get the same seat in the regular pan. Might be the way to go. Still can’t believe that they want to charge you an additional $1000!
Yes, I am ordering my car with this option. It's, in fact, the kicker to do an order as opposed to endlessly searching inventory. Not that I ever want my father-in-law or sister-in-law or my mother to come within 30 feet of the car but, in the event of an emergency, my son can ride the center even though that might mean he and his sister kill each other 5 mins into the journey.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM
535XIT
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just find it an affront to charge an extra $1,000 that should cost the manufacturer little or nothing.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 535XIT
I just find it an affront to charge an extra $1,000 that should cost the manufacturer little or nothing.
The whole thing is an affront. I’m in at $172! I’m new to Porsche. I’ve owned a BMW an Audi and a MB. As I look at the equivalents (RS 7, E63s, M5), it’s clear that for the same power, P is able to charge about 30% more. Whereas the RSs, AMGs and Ms are specialty cars for their respective manufacturers, these cars are P’s stock-in-trade. They can get away with charging these prices because car enthusiasts realize that among the Germans Porsche really is a cut above. Idiots like me reinforce it. Not happy, but willing; after all, it’s not like blacked out rims—it’s “useful!

Cheers!
-WT
Old 05-09-2018, 03:20 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I gotta say, I too am deciding between Dolomite, Rhodium and GT Silver. My Cayenne currently is Rhodium, but my wife thinks it's too 'blue'. GT Silver adds 3k, which I think is ridiculous, and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Dolomite is left, but I'm afraid it'll still be too 'blue.' In the sample shown above, it seems to really transition under light to a very light silver, but then lead into a dark bluish silver when not in direct light. I too asked my sales associate and called corporate, but no one had a clue, seen the color in person, or had any samples. Could there be a car for sale/sold in Europe that had this color? Maybe as a PTS? (at this point I don't know, and with the lock-in date looming, I need to decide.)

I also want to add the intake front grilles painted in gloss black, and for unknown reasons, it's not compatible with my #2 color, Agate Grey. Heaven knows why Porsche does this kind of stuff. IMO, all of the plastic on the sides and rear should be painted, with the front being optional in gloss black. Even a Camry XSE comes with painted side skirts, quad tailpipes, and a painted rear diffuser! Also, why isn't the ionizer just standard?!? Why are there two different ambient lighting options when it literally comes with the S or E classes?!? Why can't it at least come with smooth leather seats with the leatherette everywhere else?!? I'm ordering an executive, but the rear window sunshades and larger rear console are still options, why?!?

Sorry for that rant; continue with your days...
Old 05-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ssiminou
I gotta say, I too am deciding between Dolomite, Rhodium and GT Silver. My Cayenne currently is Rhodium, but my wife thinks it's too 'blue'. GT Silver adds 3k, which I think is ridiculous, and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Dolomite is left, but I'm afraid it'll still be too 'blue.' In the sample shown above, it seems to really transition under light to a very light silver, but then lead into a dark bluish silver when not in direct light. I too asked my sales associate and called corporate, but no one had a clue, seen the color in person, or had any samples. Could there be a car for sale/sold in Europe that had this color? Maybe as a PTS? (at this point I don't know, and with the lock-in date looming, I need to decide.)

I also want to add the intake front grilles painted in gloss black, and for unknown reasons, it's not compatible with my #2 color, Agate Grey. Heaven knows why Porsche does this kind of stuff. IMO, all of the plastic on the sides and rear should be painted, with the front being optional in gloss black. Even a Camry XSE comes with painted side skirts, quad tailpipes, and a painted rear diffuser! Also, why isn't the ionizer just standard?!? Why are there two different ambient lighting options when it literally comes with the S or E classes?!? Why can't it at least come with smooth leather seats with the leatherette everywhere else?!? I'm ordering an executive, but the rear window sunshades and larger rear console are still options, why?!?

Sorry for that rant; continue with your days...
Ha! Kindred spirit among kindred spirits! I also really like the GT Silver but I, too, don't want to pay the extra 3K. I really have no idea what the Dolomite looks like but I think, if forced, I'll roll the dice on it. Not ideal on a 170K car! My MO is to stay practical so I like silver for that very reason. I like the Agate Grey but it's too dark and the Rhodium, "bluish" hue notwithstanding, is a little on the light side. The photos of the Dolomite samples I posted were not very helpful but I think, overall, it's a touch darker than the Rhodium. Frankly, without samples widely available, they should have left it off the configurator!

I hear what you say on the trim color. But, as I said, I'll go with what they give as I don't want to spend anything on jewelry. I just added the ionizer to my build (which I'll post later). And I hear you re the seats. I have the "MB-Tex" leatherette in my GL450. That stuff's in the league of cockroaches; it will survive a nuclear war. The only wear is a little shine on the bolster where I get and out of the car. As for the color, it's one of the only things I'll spend on and I'm not sure, so please opine: Bordeaux Red (my wife is horrified I'm considering it; calls it bordello red which, IMO, makes it even more attractive!). Black to me is too boring and the dealer, for some reason, tells me to stay away from grey--dk why...

Loved your rant! Keep it coming!

Later,
-WT
Old 05-09-2018, 12:00 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Have you considered doing the seat centers in deviated Bordeaux red? Select this option under interior leather, go into 3D mode, and it actually shows you on the config (not in 2d only in 3D). You could also add red seatbelts and/or the red clock to tie it all in nicely.

This is better if you don’t want a sea of red, but you’d still like some color. Check the 4 e-Hybrid owners thread to see the renders I made of how it’d look.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Have you considered doing the seat centers in deviated Bordeaux red? Select this option under interior leather, go into 3D mode, and it actually shows you on the config (not in 2d only in 3D). You could also add red seatbelts and/or the red clock to tie it all in nicely.

This is better if you don’t want a sea of red, but you’d still like some color. Check the 4 e-Hybrid owners thread to see the renders I made of how it’d look.
Ohhhhhh! Will do a deep dive later. Worried about cost but it might be the answer! Thank you!!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:51 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Originally Posted by Will Tell
Ohhhhhh! Will do a deep dive later. Worried about cost but it might be the answer! Thank you!!
It's about $2070 for the deviated center seats, $660 for the red seatbelts, $420 for painted clock or tachometer. And if you're really feeling good, for about $7k, you get contrast red stitching and the deviated red centers (or you can stitching by itself for $5k). Also, I don't know if you prefer the standard black trim, actual wood, or carbon fiber, but if you choose the deviated centers, I'd recommend getting carbon, keeping the standard piano black, or adding one of the woods (in that order).

Send me your code; I'd love to take a look! (I'll send one too after I iron out some minor details.)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

It's about $2070 for the deviated center seats, $660 for the red seatbelts, $420 for painted clock or tachometer. And if you're really feeling good, for about $7k, you get contrast red stitching and the deviated red centers (or you can stitching by itself for $5k). Also, I don't know if you prefer the standard black trim, actual wood, or carbon fiber, but if you choose the deviated centers, I'd recommend getting carbon, keeping the standard piano black, or adding one of the woods (in that order).

Send me your code; I'd love to take a look! (I'll send one too after I iron out some minor details.)
Not into spending an extra 3k plus but it clearly IS the answer! I love it! I've already spec'd the carbon. Fabulous idea! Will get back to you shortly with the build. BTW, couldn't find your pics... can you point me in the right direction? THANK YOU!!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:59 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Here you go...

Old 05-09-2018, 01:01 PM
ssiminou
Banned

It looks cool with black seatbelts, but imagine it with red belts and a clock. Of course, the 3d configurator shows everything (though it seems a little brighter online than in person).
Old 05-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Talking

It looks cool with black seatbelts, but imagine it with red belts and a clock. Of course, the 3d configurator shows everything (though it seems a little brighter online than in person).
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Will deep dive later. But from what you've sent it's AWESOME. And I love the idea about the belts, clock, etc. Will let you know decisions later but I think I won't even tell dear Wifey. She keeps asking me what I'm getting and I'm staying rather coy but she knows the decision is nigh. I'll just tell her "you'll see." Thanks for your input. I know I've always said no spending on the superfluous but this has made it to the "MUST HAVE" category.

Stay tuned!! And thanks again!
-WT
Old 05-09-2018, 01:46 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Hahaha, good to hear! Just make sure you know it's not going to be too bright and too much of a contrast from the black everywhere else.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Hahaha, good to hear! Just make sure you know it's not going to be too bright and too much of a contrast from the black everywhere else.
Have configured everything including deviated red, red chrono, tach and seatbelts, but can't get the seats to come up on the configurator even when I click on the <> to expand it... any idea what I'm doing wrong (note: seatbelts, tach and chrono all come up in red but not the seat inserts)?
Thx!
Old 05-09-2018, 02:30 PM
ssiminou
Banned

You’re correct, on the 2D configuration that only shows like 5-6 photos, the red inserts do not show up. On my Mac, right below those photos, there is an option to use the 3D view. This had previously prompted me to install a Unity 3D plug-in, which I installed. I then restarted the computer, and after a few tries, the 3D viewer works. (Once it’s all working and you click 3D, it’ll load a 3D model slowly and allow to go into full screen, use the automated video function on the inside and out, and drag the car all around so you can get different angles.). Unity 3D said that it was no longer supported for further updates, so that last version is it.

If you’re on a Windows, I do not recall seeing the option, but I’m sure that if it’s there, the process is the same. Just remember you have to close your browser and actually restart the computer (make sure you have all unfinished work everywhere else saved).

If this does not work, let me know so once I get home from work, I can record the automated video/upload screenshots and upload it here for you to see what it would look like. As a said before, on my renederings it seems darker. In real life it’s bright, but not as bright as what it looks like on the config. I would also recommend looking at 2 cars from the same dealership: one with leather in black, one with leather in black/Bordeaux. This way (since most dealer take the same photos of each car from the same angles), you could actually crop the red and insert it into the black.

Did you add the Alcántara headliner? It’s a lot of money at 2k, but it makes a big difference in the feel and look of the interior (especially since the roof is lower compared to a Cayenne, for example).

Sorry for that overload of info; hopefully I provided some guidance.
Sam

Quick Reply: New color (Dolomite Silver) and 2+1 comes to regular Panamera plus advice sought!