Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Is Adaptive Air Suspension a Must-Have?

Old 05-11-2018, 10:02 PM
Kevin1017
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Your quote is from a preliminary review in either Road and Track or Car and Driver, I can't remember which one. It was written around March, 2017. As a direct result of that article, Porsche held up release of the E-Hybrids in Europe and the early models were delayed about two months. Porsche installed firmware and software updates to correct that problem around May, 2017. The 2017 European models were then released and the pedal problem was eliminated. Obviously the 2018 models also do not have that problem either. Not sure what you experienced or why, but I have not seen anything like it on my car.
That is good to know, I didn't notice the dates of those reviews, will give an another try tomorrow and make a decision.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Kevin1017
AutoX

Test drove the ehybrid again today, the braking was better than last time with a softer press, but still not ideal. So went with a Panamera 4 order in the end, will be delivered in September. Thank you for all the feedback.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 AM
NVBear78
7th Gear

I am a newbie here but when I read the Porsche Website it says that the PASM option on the RWD Panamera includes the air suspension. Please advise if the website is not correct?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:46 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not ideal when mid way between light braking and heavy (the crossover point between the regen and regular), but that brake is charging your batteries efficiently (driving down a mountain will give miles of range) so ultimately the trade-off is worth it for me. Plus 330bhp v 462bhp...
Old 06-16-2018, 02:54 PM
PMPN8EZ
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My 2 cents

I'm probably late but after owning many a Mercedes with air ride... Unless you're a senior citizen that needs Cadillac float from time to time it's just an expensive option that will almost certainly cost you down the road when (not if) the pump or air strut goes bad. My CL550 had an air strut go out and it was $2200 to replace. I did it myself but to me air ride is so unnecessary.

I have a 4 platinum and the adjustable non-air ride shocks more than suffice for a soft ride or an aggressive ride. I'm also sitting on after market 1 piece 22 Inch wheels.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:04 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NVBear78
I am a newbie here but when I read the Porsche Website it says that the PASM option on the RWD Panamera includes the air suspension. Please advise if the website is not correct?
I believe PASM (with steel spring) is now standard on the base Panamera, 4 and 4S models, with the air suspension with PASM as an option, as the website indicates. However once you get above the 4S model, the air suspension w/PASM appears to become standard on all other Panamera models.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PMPN8EZ
I'm probably late but after owning many a Mercedes with air ride... Unless you're a senior citizen that needs Cadillac float from time to time it's just an expensive option that will almost certainly cost you down the road when (not if) the pump or air strut goes bad. My CL550 had an air strut go out and it was $2200 to replace. I did it myself but to me air ride is so unnecessary.

I have a 4 platinum and the adjustable non-air ride shocks more than suffice for a soft ride or an aggressive ride. I'm also sitting on after market 1 piece 22 Inch wheels.
Air Suspension is good for lower ingress/egress and higher ground clearance. It is absolutely necessary.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:32 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
Air Suspension is good for lower ingress/egress and higher ground clearance. It is absolutely necessary.
I totally agree. I have the custom diamond button on my steering wheel set just for that purpose. Anytime I am parking with a front or side barrier or when going up a steep driveway, I push the button and the car raises up quickly to give me extra security. Further, I find the ride quality to be outstanding, whether in "comfort" mode or in the very firm lowered setting. Not overly cushy or sloppy but very good. It came standard on my E-Hybrid but couldn't imagine not having it.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:39 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
Agreed

In addition it allows customization of ride for different preferences.
I prefer as sporty as possible.
Hubby has horrible back and needs cushy “Cadillac” comfort. When I’m by myself it’s sport plus and lowest ride height possible.

I love that we can both enjoy the car in different ways, and most importantly it meets his requirements for comfort allowing him to better tolerate long distance rides.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:16 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I totally agree. I have the custom diamond button on my steering wheel set just for that purpose. Anytime I am parking with a front or side barrier or when going up a steep driveway, I push the button and the car raises up quickly to give me extra security. Further, I find the ride quality to be outstanding, whether in "comfort" mode or in the very firm lowered setting. Not overly cushy or sloppy but very good. It came standard on my E-Hybrid but couldn't imagine not having it.
Same here: I use the diamond button for raising the ground clearance... On my old Panamera, I used the diamond for changing audio, because there was an easy-access button in the center control panel to raise the car; but now in the new-gen Panameras, they don't offer that center-console button any more -- it's buried in the computer screens -- so the diamond button got a new use.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:41 AM
DavidUSA
5th Gear

Default Newbie here

I have no idea if this is an active thread but thought I'd ask about air suspension as there seems to be great info here. I am considering buying a 2015 or 2016 Panamera, and, of course, the ones I've gravitated toward all have Adaptive Air Suspension. Now the models I'm looking at are all under 60k miles, two are under 40k.

I guess my question is, does anyone still have a 2014,'15, or '16 Panamera with Adaptive Air Suspension, and if so, any problems? I saw a thread on another board where someone said it wasn't if the feature would eventually break down, it was more a question of when. I've also heard the repairs on that are expensive.

Anyway, I had never seen a Panamera until a couple of months ago and fell in love. From what I could tell (looking through the windows) it was probably a 2010-2016 as it only had one cup holder. Thanks guys
Old 10-19-2023, 12:56 AM
john rock
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Your correct repairs are expensive to air suspension. I had an 2018 Panamera Turbo with it, but never drove a Panamera without air. I wrote the comment based on a member buying a new Cayenne. The cars you are looking at are older, although low miles that is good, I would get a PPI [pre-purchase inspection,with emphasis on the suspension for sure.
The following users liked this post:
DavidUSA (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 01:01 AM
DavidUSA
5th Gear

Originally Posted by john rock
Your correct repairs are expensive to air suspension. I had an 2018 Panamera Turbo with it, but never drove a Panamera without air. I wrote the comment based on a member buying a new Cayenne. The cars you are looking at are older, although low miles that is good, I would get a PPI [pre-purchase inspection,with emphasis on the suspension for sure.
Thank you. That makes perfect sense. I do plan to have a pre-purchase inspection and if I go with air suspension I will be sure to have them focus on that area. Thank you again!
Old 10-19-2023, 10:27 AM
PMPN8EZ
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nope!

Absolutely not. In fact I would pass. I've had a long list of Mercedes unfortunately they all came with air ride suspension. It's another case of over-engineering. Just another part to worry about failing, and trust me, they do fail. Not worth it in my opinion. I just realized how old this thread was and replied again. lol.

Last edited by PMPN8EZ; 10-19-2023 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidUSA (10-21-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 05:46 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

I have a 2014 PGTS with 50,000 miles and the original air suspension. It could fail tomorrow but I would regard that as an opportunity to refresh the dampers because they have gotten “soft”. Bad road surfaces in my area typically trash the dampers.

I would get the AS again because of the ride improvement (first panny had steel) and height adjustment.
The following 2 users liked this post by justabout:
chassis (10-20-2023), DavidUSA (10-21-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Adaptive Air Suspension a Must-Have?