Panamera 2010-Current

Thinking of buying a 2010 Panamera S w/42K

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 04:06 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 2010 Panamera S w/42K

I've owned a 944, 944 Turbo, 02 Boxster and a 93 968. Been hunting for a new Porsche, must be automatic. Was looking at Cayman's, but I ran across this ad for a Panamera S.
The dealer selling it bought it at auction, he didn't realize it was an S! (clueless dealers) I'll call the Porsche dealer and have them run the vin for recall campaigns. I read elsewhere that the AH08 is a big one.

My main question is how expensive are these to maintain? Yes, I know every Porsche is a money-pit, but how big of one? I've been reading a bunch and it seems these cars eat up tires and brakes.

I'll be doing most of the wrenching at a friends shop, but obviously some things will have to be done by the dealer.

Here's the link to the carfax report: Carfax link

Here's the link to the craigslist ad: Link to Ad
Old 04-27-2018, 06:01 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Seems reasonable it would be a bigger money pit than a Cayman!! It's a bigger more complicated car with a V8.

I guess it depends what you want out of the car - Cayman is a completely different car from a Panamera - I was cross shopping against F10 BMW's and Jag XJ's personally.
It's a wonderful driving and handling car - for a 2 ton sedan - but it's no Cayman, which is arguably the best and crispest handling car Porsche has made to date.

Good luck and keep up posted!
Old 04-29-2018, 09:28 AM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Get a warranty.. Or spend extra for a CPO'd car..
Old 04-29-2018, 01:10 PM
c4racer
Pro

That’s what I did. They are getting hard to find as CPO if you want the older V8 S model like I did.

But there are a few 2012-2013 S as CPO available nationally. I got lucky and found one close to me.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:35 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice.. Congrats!
Old 05-01-2018, 01:48 PM
DGPanny
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a 2011 4S for almost 3 years. I replaced the tires year one with Michelin PS and they are still going strong. Haven't touched the brakes. Only regular oil changes and basic maintenance other than a battery and a tire pressure monitor. Been a great car....except for the engine replacement. That recall you mentioned above, mine failed two days before I got the recall notice. Cam controller bolts sheared and the cam controller broke the cam shaft in two places. But, Porsche gave me a brand new long block and heads so I should be good for a bunch more miles now. I just bought a 3rd party warranty to cover it for 4 years or to 100,000 miles from AutoPOM. Cost me about $3,400. Car has 67,000 miles on the clock.

Find a good independent mechanic near you and use them for all the scheduled maintenance. And make sure that recall has been done before you take possession. Even though Porsche covered everything I was still without my car for a month. Great cars, good luck.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Van248
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Panamera 2011 oil monitoring fault light

Afternoon

Purschased a 2011 Panamera 4s a few months ago. Clean car-fax, spoke to the dealer that maintained the car over the past few years. The car runs great !!! No issues except the cam bolt adjuster recall,which was completed. While driving the vehicle at freeway speed I get a oil pressure fault monitoring light. The oil pressure goes to zero The fault light clears and the oil pressure returns to normal after about 25 seconds. The dealership replaced the oil control valve and oil psi sensor. The problem still persist at higher speeds -no change. The dealership indicates that it must be the oil pump huh !! Recommended replacement cost $9000. I think oil pump diagnosis should be proven by test not a logical guess. I have read other post, but has anyone gotten to the bottom of this problem ?

Thx
Old 08-06-2018, 06:29 PM
c4racer
Pro

What test would you run ? There is no way to test an intermittent oil pump. Only indication what's going on is the pressure gauge. It's a mechanical part - it has no self monitoring available. Could be the sump came off or the oil pump is failing. Either way you have to tear into the bottom end of the motor and replace the pump and related components.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Check for all recalls. Make sure they have ALL been performed. You can check the vin on the Porsche website.
I would only buy a car that has 1-2 owners and an up to date service history. You want a car that was taken car of and has all scheduled maintenance, not passed around and beat up. 2010 is getting up there in age and is a first model year. On one hand its received the recalls and annoying fixes already hopefully.
I would get a PPI, and if the brakes and tires will need to be replaced soon, use it as a negotiation tool. That's a $2500 or so item you don't want to have to pay for right after you buy it. You also don't want to have to pay $2000 for all of the PDK, diff, brake, etc fluids to be flushed if it hasn't been done at the proper maintenance periods.
I got a warranty. I'd get a warranty if you can. These are pretty reliable cars, but I personally need a warranty for the peace of mind to drive $100,000+ German cars. My Turbo S cost a little more than my house when it was new - priorities!!!
Old 08-06-2018, 07:22 PM
Van248
4th Gear

Default 2nd Porsche Panamera 2011 oil monitoring fault light

They must be a reasonable test that can be performed to confirm operating oil psi . Test oil pressure at Idle. Test oil pressure under moderate rpm. Thinking about installing an external oil pressure (master gage) mounted to windshield to allow comparisons of psi during the oil fault-monitoring event. If the master gauge indicates normal psi during the fault event at highway speed. The oil pump is ok. I will look elsewhere for the problem. If the psi on the gage inside the car and the psi on the master gage both go to zero during the fault montoing event- well thinking the oil pump is the villain. Somebody with a panamera 4s in North America must have gotten to bottom of this issue.

Last edited by Van248; 08-06-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: My reply looks like duplicate
Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 PM
c4racer
Pro

Yes. Using a mechanical oil pressure gauge and comparing to the dash readings would isolate the issue to motor or gauge. Good idea. No idea if a Porsche dealer would do that. Maybe better luck with an Indy. I would try that myself actually. If there is a oil pressure port on the engine block somewhere. Which who knows how hard that is to access if it even exists.

Ah the days of the old small block Chevy. Easy peasy on one of those blocks.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:28 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 40 Posts

9k for oil pump? havent looked where it is located, but by the price, must be somewhere very precious.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Van248
4th Gear

Default Fault Oil monitoring

The dealership allegedly will have to remove the engine from the car to replace the oil pump. $9000 parts and labor. Thats not a good thing
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 AM
c4racer
Pro

Looking at that engine bay that wouldn't surprise me too much !

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2010 Panamera S w/42K