Panamera 2010-Current

2016 Panamera s e-hybrid - Reliability? + Intro

Old 04-26-2018, 07:28 PM
cbwinters01
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2016 Panamera s e-hybrid - Reliability? + Intro

Hello,
First my question, then my story. For those of you that have had your 2016 Panamera s e-hybrid for a while now, have you encountered any reliability issues that you can pass on? I'm at ~ 3K miles now and my only issue so far was the replacement of the faulty/rebooting PCM after I first brought the car home.

My story:
I had been considering various automobile purchase options for several months, but couldn’t find something that really stood out to me. I wanted something that was different than most everything I see on the road. Also, given the direction of the state of CA, and the fact that I intend to own this car for 10+ years (I’ve owned my 911 SC for 20 years), I wanted to get a hybrid if possible. I had considered a Panamera on various occasions, but just couldn’t justify spending what was necessary to get the exact car that I wanted. As it happened, I came across a new (not titled) 2016 Panamera s e-hybrid online that was exactly what I was looking for at a reasonable price. After a couple of weeks of negotiation, via text message, I ended up agreeing to purchase the car for what was a very good deal for the build.

The next challenge was how to get the car from the dealership in Spokane, WA, to San Diego, CA. I didn’t want to pay the $2K to have the car shipped (despite my wife’s urging), and just as much or more, I didn’t want to wait for the car to be shipped once I had determined to buy the car. Also important to note was that it was a few days before Christmas and I wanted to have the car home in plenty of time to enjoy Christmas with my wife and young children. Going completely against my grain, I purchased a plane ticket that evening for a flight next morning, to Spokane to turn around and drive the car home that evening.

After flying most of the day (SDG to Salt Lake to Spokane) I landed in Spokane in the evening of 12/22/17. It was snowing outside, but as had been agreed, the salesperson came to the airport and picked me up. After a slow drive to the dealership in the snow, and after a few hours’ time at the dealership, I had the keys in hand. I began my journey home to San Diego at ~ 8 PM on Friday, 12/22/17, and arrived at my house in San Diego by 11 PM on 12/23/17, after 1500 miles of driving and two 45 minute naps along the way.

I saw a post a while back asking how these cars perform in the snow: in my experience, absolutely incredible. Side story: I got lost in the snow in the mountains in WA on the way home to San Diego. Following Google directions on my iphone (as noted above, my PCM didn’t work), I got taken off course and off the main roads. Driving in the snow between 2 and 6+ inches for 3+ hours (no other cars or tracks in the snow (beyond some tracks down the middle of the road that were either a very large wolf or a bear) for much of that 3 hours) between the hours of 12AM and 3 AM on 12/23. I was the only car on the road in the absolute middle of nowhere in the mountains (part of the time on an Indian reservation as I have now come to understand form looking at my Google maps history) on a twisty, at times very steep, two lane road (including single lane bridges). There were times that I was actually pushing snow at the front of the car, I could hear it happening. The worst experience I have had in an automobile in my life at the time, but in retrospect, an absolutely incredible (and unforgettable) part of an altogether amazing journey.

I absolutely love the car! I work very close to home, so only drive ~ 7 miles per day, most of the time, I’m in electric mode. The last time I filled up with gas was 02/10, and I still have ½ a tank of gas in the car…though I have already managed to rub the right rear wheel on a curb just last week….arghhhh! The reason I ask about reliability over a number of miles is that I intend to own this car for up to 20 years (or more, as long as I continue to love this car as I have loved my 911), but it will likely take me > 10 years to get to something in the neighborhood of 50K miles (it did on my last daily driver that I had for 12 years).

Any input from someone that has the 2016 Panamera s e-hybrid would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Christian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Panamera s e-hybrid - Reliability? + Intro