Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2016 Panamera s e-hybrid - Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM
cbwinters01
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2016 Panamera s e-hybrid - Reliability?

Hello,
First my question, then an introduction. For anyone that has a 2016 s e-hybrid and has put some miles on it over the last couple of years, have you had any reliability issues so far? My only issue so far was the PCM reboot issue, so the PCM had to be replaced within a couple of weeks of me getting it home...

My story:
I had been considering various automobile purchase options for several months, but couldn’t find something that really stood out to me. I wanted something that was different than most everything I see on the road. Also, given the direction of the state of CA, and the fact that I intend to own this car for 10+ years (I’ve owned my 911 SC for 20 years), I wanted to get a hybrid if possible. I had considered a Panamera on various occasions, but just couldn’t justify spending what was necessary to get the exact new car build that I wanted. As it happened, I came across a new (not titled) 2016 Panamera s e-hybrid online that was exactly what I was looking for at a reasonable price. After a couple of weeks of negotiation, via text message, I ended up agreeing to purchase the car for what was a very good deal for the build. (aside: I was able to get the $4.7K tax credit for the 2017 taxes that I just filed)

The next challenge was how to get the car from the dealership in Spokane, WA, to San Diego, CA. I didn’t want to pay the $2K to have the car shipped (despite my wife’s urging), and just as much or more, I didn’t want to wait for the car to be shipped once I had determined to buy the car. Also important to note was that it was a few days before Christmas and I wanted to have the car home in plenty of time to enjoy Christmas with my wife and young children. Going completely against my grain, I purchased a plane ticket that evening for a flight next morning, to Spokane to turn around and drive the car home that evening.

After flying most of the day (SDG to Salt Lake to Spokane) I landed in Spokane in the evening of 12/22/17. It was snowing outside, but as had been agreed, the salesperson came to the airport and picked me up. After a slow drive to the dealership in the snow, and after a few hours’ time at the dealership, I had the keys in hand. I began my journey home to San Diego at ~ 8 PM on Friday, 12/22/17, and arrived at my house in San Diego by 11 PM on 12/23/17, after 1500 miles of driving and two 45 minute naps along the way.

I saw a post a while back asking how these cars perform in the snow: in my experience, absolutely incredible. Side story: I got lost in the snow in the mountains in WA on the way home to San Diego. Following Google directions on my iphone (as noted above, my PCM didn’t work), I got taken off course and off the main roads. Driving in the snow between 2 and 6+ inches for 3+ hours (no other cars or tracks in the snow (beyond some tracks down the middle of the road that were either a very large wolf or a bear) for much of that 3 hours) between the hours of 12AM and 3 AM on 12/23. I was the only car on the road in the absolute middle of nowhere in the mountains (part of the time on an Indian reservation as I have now come to understand form looking at my Google maps history) on a twisty, at times very steep, two lane road (including single lane bridges). There were times that I was actually pushing snow at the front of the car, I could hear it happening. The worst experience I have had in an automobile in my life at the time, but in retrospect, an absolutely incredible (and unforgettable) part of an altogether amazing journey.

I absolutely love the car! I work very close to home, so only drive ~ 7 miles per day, most of the time, I’m in electric mode. The last time I filled up with gas was 02/10, and I still have ½ a tank of gas in the car…though I have already managed to rub the right rear wheel on a curb just last week….arghhhh! The reason I ask about reliability over a number of miles is that I intend to own this car for up to 20 years (or more, as long as I continue to love this car as I have loved my 911), but it will likely take me > 10 years to get to something in the neighborhood of 50K miles (it did on my last daily driver that I had for 12 years).

Any input from someone that has the 2016 Panamera s e-hybrid would be greatly appreciated.

Christian

Quick Reply: 2016 Panamera s e-hybrid - Reliability?