Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Launch Control with US 2018 Panamera 4 e-hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:41 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launch Control with US 2018 Panamera 4 e-hybrid?

Hi everyone,

Just picked up my 2018 4 e-hybrid last Friday and I have not been able to successfully activate launch control. Any new 4 e-hybrid owners out there able to successfully activate launch control? I had no problem with e-launch, but no luck with launch control so far. Is it even available on the new 4 e-hybrid?

thanks!
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw your reply on the e-Hybrid forum - that is total BS. All e-Hybrids have sport Chrono as standard and sport chrono means launch.

What do you mean by e-Launch though? Launch control but in eMode instead of Sport/Sport+?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:08 AM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Saw your reply on the e-Hybrid forum - that is total BS. All e-Hybrids have sport Chrono as standard and sport chrono means launch.

What do you mean by e-Launch though? Launch control but in eMode instead of Sport/Sport+?
AJ, that’s what I said! That’s why I’m brining the car in today for them to take a look at. Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, I asked the dealer to try it out with one of their e-hybrids on the lot and see if they can activate launch control, and they told me they couldn’t get it working either. Since the car is so new (in the US), I wanted to see if any other owners have had success activating it; haven’t had much luck finding any 4 e-hybrid owners talking about launch control.

Yes, e-launch is “kind of” like launch control, but can only be activated if you’re on e-power. The acceleration is nothing like launch control though, it just gives you a little extra boost off the line, since you are only using the ~135HP electric motor on a ~5000 lb vehicle.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:55 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Took a ride with dealer technician today and he was able to “launch control” the car, but there was no launch control message on the screen. He took me on another ride in a new e-hybrid turbo s, launched the car (super quick) but again, no launch control message on the screen. I guess Porsche turned off the launch control message on new hybrid vehicles???
Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mutiny22183

Took a ride with dealer technician today and he was able to “launch control” the car, but there was no launch control message on the screen. He took me on another ride in a new e-hybrid turbo s, launched the car (super quick) but again, no launch control message on the screen. I guess Porsche turned off the launch control message on new hybrid vehicles???
I don't think it showed a message on my previous 2015 hybrid either, cant remember seeing one.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:27 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Good question, not sure if there is a message, but it certainly launches!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:57 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Good question, not sure if there is a message, but it certainly launches!
After watching several European e-hybrid launch control videos, I still think something isn’t right. The videos have seen have the engine reving at around 5k-6k rpm just before launch (with launch control message displayed). Before “launched” my car, while holding breaking and hard pressing on the gas, my engine only reved as high as 3k. The car launched, but it was nothing like the videos I’ve seen online. Porsche customer service told me they are researching and will get back to me. Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:02 AM
ajriches01
Racer

It revs higher and higher depending on which mode you are in, so Sport will be say 4k and Sport+ say 5k (made up numbers). So could be a software fault with the sport chrono if you have it in sport but the revs are not going high enough? I need to take a video of mine launching and time it but hard to find the right road/time!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM
K777
Racer

Tried mine yesterday, same as you no message, but as said before the old one didn't either.

I also tried from e-power, epower, left foot braking, right foot hard down, engine came on as soon as pedal down, and set off in launch control with engine - not epower. ?

Mutiny - I don't think there is launch control in epower, never was on the old one either. If anything, if you set of with to much accelerator pedal the engine just comes on anyway, as we all know.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:24 AM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses, guys.

AJ, I’m definitely in sport+ mode and the engine only revs to 3k. I will let Porsche and the dealer know and see what they say.

K777, I am able to “e-launch” the car using only electric power with no problem (if I press the gas peda all the way down pass the pressure point it turns the engine on and e-launch stops). How high does your engine rev up to when in sport+ and trying to launch the car? Mine is limited at 3k when my foot is on the break.

thanks!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 AM
911topanamera
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey K777 and everyone, watch this youtube video- at 2:37 and 3:44. You can see the words launch control under the digital speedometer right before he launches. I think its bogus that "porsche just got rid of it." Seems like a convenient dealership answer.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 AM
ajriches01
Racer

For sure that is a fault - mine screams and gives a real kick.

Interesting video against the Alfa - have seen it before. Surprised the Alfa does not truly kill the Panamera, more power and much lighter. Presumably warm conditions etc.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:34 AM
K777
Racer

Thanks for the responses, guys.

AJ, I’m definitely in sport+ mode and the engine only revs to 3k. I will let Porsche and the dealer know and see what they say.

K777, I am able to “e-launch” the car using only electric power with no problem (if I press the gas peda all the way down pass the pressure point it turns the engine on and e-launch stops). How high does your engine rev up to when in sport+ and trying to launch the car? Mine is limited at 3k when my foot is on the break.

thanks!
I am confused, when you say e-launch, I am assuming there is no involvement with the engine, but you said in your brackets the engine comes on - surely e launch would have no engine on ?

I will check the revs when I can, unfortunately most of the time I am a line of traffic from home to work.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:47 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by 911topanamera
Hey K777 and everyone, watch this youtube video- at 2:37 and 3:44. You can see the words launch control under the digital speedometer right before he launches. I think its bogus that "porsche just got rid of it." Seems like a convenient dealership answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTVYYWs5CqQ
Yeah it does give the message, so that's interesting. I will have to check my partners car as his is 2 months younger than mine.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:00 PM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Originally Posted by K777
I am confused, when you say e-launch, I am assuming there is no involvement with the engine, but you said in your brackets the engine comes on - surely e launch would have no engine on ?

I will check the revs when I can, unfortunately most of the time I am a line of traffic from home to work.
Sorry for the confusion. When I’m in e power mode, I can easily e launch the car (with e launch message displayed) as long as I don’t press the gas pedal pass the pressure point to activate the engine. No issues with e launch..just launch control.

Quick Reply: Launch Control with US 2018 Panamera 4 e-hybrid?