Panamera 2010-Current

Questions and observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:33 PM
mel911
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions and observations

I’m Seriously considering moving from Tesla 85 to panamera 4S. A few questions/ observations:

observations:
insruance is less on 4S
liked the 4 hybrid at lower speeds but didn’t like acceleration or acid green accents

questions:
is the leather upgrade worth it? Especially for black. I like the sample of chalk leather but haven’t seen it in a car in person.
Im hearing high single digit % off msrp - what are you seeing?
anyone (in addition to custom paint people) do a custom order? They’re telling me like 5% off of a custom.

Thanks in in advance for your feedback - and let me know if I can be of any help to you!
Old 04-10-2018, 01:06 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

What didn't you like about the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid's acceleration? Can you describe?
Where are you located?

I can't imagine buying a new Panamera off the lot, because there is so much that I'd change from what most dealerships design their cars to have.
I have bought a used (CPO) Panamera off the lot because of the way-lower price, and most CPO Panameras at dealerships are in great shape, and I've special-ordered a new one.
I'm the wrong person to answer about leather, because I am interested in the base Panamera models, going for the driving experience and not the luxury experience; I think the standard features are plenty good, myself. I do hate that you have to pay a lot for options that are standard in cars 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a base Panamera (such as adaptive cruise control and blind-spot warning lights). But then, the Panamera is a special vehicle, not like cars 1/2 to 1/3 the price in terms of stability and performance on the road.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:05 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mel911

questions:
is the leather upgrade worth it? Especially for black. I like the sample of chalk leather but haven’t seen it in a car in person.
i was on the fence with regard to the leather upgrade. It was a difficult call because Porsche does offer you a lot of leather for the price. However, I decided against it because I preferred the sporty look of partial leather. The rough structure suited me more with the carbon trim than the smooth leather with the carbon trim. To be fair, Porsche calls it partial leather but it is literally as much leather as other companies offer with a leather upgrade.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:54 AM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should stay with the Tesla. However, the Panamera is a better car. You can delete the acid green accents. The leather upgrade is worth it, but financially insensible. If you can buy for MSRP, good. Many do custom orders.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:41 AM
mel911
AutoX

Default Reply

Even in hybrid mode, the car would stay in high rpms after acceleration (like 6k) and wouldn’t go down. It’s not supposed to do that in hybrid mode. Just felt like something was wrong. When Porsche goes full electric I will consider but the hybrid seems more like. Redemption from the previous than anything else - at least to me.

In Atlanta area.

Originally Posted by cometguy
What didn't you like about the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid's acceleration? Can you describe?
Where are you located?

I can't imagine buying a new Panamera off the lot, because there is so much that I'd change from what most dealerships design their cars to have.
I have bought a used (CPO) Panamera off the lot because of the way-lower price, and most CPO Panameras at dealerships are in great shape, and I've special-ordered a new one.
I'm the wrong person to answer about leather, because I am interested in the base Panamera models, going for the driving experience and not the luxury experience; I think the standard features are plenty good, myself. I do hate that you have to pay a lot for options that are standard in cars 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a base Panamera (such as adaptive cruise control and blind-spot warning lights). But then, the Panamera is a special vehicle, not like cars 1/2 to 1/3 the price in terms of stability and performance on the road.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:42 AM
mel911
AutoX

Default Thanks

Why stay with Tesla if panamera is better car? Thanks

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
You should stay with the Tesla. However, the Panamera is a better car. You can delete the acid green accents. The leather upgrade is worth it, but financially insensible. If you can buy for MSRP, good. Many do custom orders.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:57 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Had black/red leather in my 2015, but was much more expensive extra this time so stuck with standard black. Full is better, but its to expensive for the slightly better look.

On my 2015 hated the green calipers when ordered, once I got the car I loved them against the black wheels, same combo on the 4 EH.
Lots of people with decent cars have comment on the good look of the green calipers against black wheels.
I wouldn't consider having the black option ones now, maybe only if had silver wheels.
Get the black badges, looks loads better IMHO.

As for tesla (at least in UK ) not enough charging places, these days there's a queue of them at the one at the hotel gym.

Or worse - someone ran out and got brought there on a trailer .....................

Old 04-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mel911
Why stay with Tesla if panamera is better car? Thanks

More environmentally friendly. Cheaper too.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:24 AM
ajriches01
Racer

"Even in hybrid mode, the car would stay in high rpms after acceleration (like 6k) and wouldn’t go down."

Presumably this is after you buried your foot? It'll stay in a lower gear for a second or two to see if you're about to bury again (otherwise would be changing up and down constantly) but so does any auto box on a petrol engine - not something a Tesla will worry about.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:15 AM
porshuh
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely get the full leather. Partial leather smells and feel like a C class vehicle from cheaper brand. They are night and day.
I got 6% off a custom order pana 4s in socal.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by porshuh
Definitely get the full leather. Partial leather smells and feel like a C class vehicle from cheaper brand. They are night and day.
I got 6% off a custom order pana 4s in socal.
i testdrove a car with partial leather which had 700km on the clock. the interior smelled like it should do: like a new car.

with regarding to smell - the full leather smells more of leather than the partial leather - kinda obvious because the more leather you have the more it will smell but just worthwhile mentioning :-)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:15 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porshuh
disagree I have had both.
they are different, but c class, no, I will have a look in my 2 co. fleet cars though. Look and finish etc.
Hardly noticeable.
If your on a budget, put it into something else.
Plus made no difference to resale value either on my old one.

There are better leathers in other cars, and in better or higher priced cars, the Porsche full leather isn't that special in comparison.

Whilst on the subject of options, I even didn't get the memory/14 (?) way adjustable seats this time. Only I drive it, and the only time needed adjusting was when it had been in for a service.
That equated to about £300 per go !
So unless you switch between you and another driver a lot , again, per go its expensive. And in my case, again I spent the money on something else - a ceramic coating +.
The car still cost £96k.

When looking at options, I tend to look at ones that don't give performance pleasure or alter the exterior look, with a cost per use attitude. Certain things seem worth it, others don't. But that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Questions and observations