Panamera Drive Chain Stretched?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 06:32 PM
coopsyd
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Panamera Drive Chain Stretched?

Hi all,

Unfortunately I am not very knowledgeable about auto mechanical problems, so I am one of those at the complete mercy of dealer service centers or local mechanics. Having just moved to the Orlando area, I have yet to identify a trusted local mechanic, so I'm dependent on the local dealer. My 2011 Panamera (base model) with about 96K miles, recently started giving me 3 errors upon startup... PSM indicator, Check Engine indicator, and Start/Stop Disabled message. The dealer first called to inform me that the error codes they are getting are "strange" and that they are "not familiar with them and calling corporate to find out what to do about them." A day later they are now telling me they "think" it could be that the drive chain is stretched, and they are requesting my authorization for 6 hours @ $158/hr to pull the valves in order to diagnose if that is the issue. If it is the issue, the estimated repair cost is $ 9,300. The KBB value of the car is only $20K, so this is obviously a painful scenario. I would appreciate any guidance on the following:

1. Is it unusual that the dealer would not know or understand the error codes? This makes me concerned about whether they have experienced technicians working on the car.
2. I just spoke with a local Porsche mechanic who said they have never heard or seen a stretched drive chain issue the Panamera (or Cayenne) and would be quite surprised if that's actually the issue. Do you have any knowledge of this being an issue with Panameras?
3. Do you have any ideas on what the issue may be?
4. If it is the drive chain that needs to be replaced, I understand that is a significant job that includes pulling the engine out. Is this something that I should only have the dealer do, or should I trust that an experienced Porsche local mechanic can handle just as well?
5. If done by a local mechanic, what would you estimate the cost of replacing the drive chain to be?

Sorry for the big request here, but I'm in quite a dilemma and not sure what to do. Thank you very much.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:24 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

If it’s running well I would continue to drive it to get more data. Batteries sometimes cause strange problems at the end of their service life. Has it been checked?
I would not agree to such a repair without more diagnostic information.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:48 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow, my first impression is to stay the hell away from that dealer. How can they not know what the codes mean? And chains don't "stretch", they may wear, or more likely, the chain tensioner wears (particularly if its plastic) and causes some slack. They "think" they know the problem but want you to pay $158/hr to see if they are thinking straight? I know brain surgeons who don't make that much per hour. To answer your questions -

1. Yes, it is very unusual and would cause me great concern.
2. I don't have knowledge if this is a Panamera issue, but I tend to agree with that mechanic.
3. Without knowing what the codes are, no.
4. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable here will know the answer, but I can't imagine it is engine out.
5. Coincidently, I am have the timing belts (not chains) replaced on my Ferrari 612 Scaglietti as we speak. There are 2 belts, one for each bank of 6 cylinders, the engine stays where it is, and the cost is about $2400 parts and labor. I don't know what the cost is on a Panamera, but I'd bet dollars to donuts you don't need a new chain, the chain should last the life of the engine.

You really do need to find a competent independent mechanic.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:48 PM
coopsyd
3rd Gear

Thank you very much. You both certainly have validated my concerns. I will be transferring the car over to a local porsche mechanic for a second opinion. @justabout, the battery was replaced less than a year ago, but I'll be sure to have it checked. I did obtain the fault codes from the dealer this morning which I will post next.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions you may have based on these codes. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:51 PM
coopsyd
3rd Gear

Fault Codes from dealer...

Priority Fault Memory Status Description
8 C12097 Passive Check A/C unit fault memory content
2 P0018 Active Crankshaft position vis-a-vi intake camshaft, bank 2 (Limit value exceeded)
2 P1583 Passive Sport mode not available (below limit)
3 UO418 Passive Check PSM control unit default memory content (no fault symptom)
3 UO418 Passive Check PSM control unit default memory content (no fault symptom)
8 U0456 Passive Check air conditioner operator control unit - this fault can be ignored if active (No fault symptom)
8 000021 Passive Drive away release, not available
6 C12060 Passive Check engine control unit fault memory content
8 C12097 Passive check ari conditioner regulator control unit fault memory content
6 0535 Passive Door control unit, rear driver's side, no communication (no signal communication)
Old 12-08-2022, 03:17 AM
Talib96
Track Day

Originally Posted by coopsyd
Fault Codes from dealer...

Priority Fault Memory Status Description
8 C12097 Passive Check A/C unit fault memory content
2 P0018 Active Crankshaft position vis-a-vi intake camshaft, bank 2 (Limit value exceeded)
2 P1583 Passive Sport mode not available (below limit)
8 U0456 Passive Check air conditioner operator control unit - this fault can be ignored if active (No fault symptom)
8 000021 Passive Drive away release, not available
6 C12060 Passive Check engine control unit fault memory content
8 C12097 Passive check ari conditioner regulator control unit fault memory content
6 0535 Passive Door control unit, rear driver's side, no communication (no signal communication)

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but was there any update to this? Did you manage to find a solution?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Panamera Drive Chain Stretched?