Panamera 2010-Current

wheel bearing front end crunch noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:18 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearing front end crunch noise

have my 2011 panny turbo in with porsche bethesda today. Looking at getting the right rear wheel bearing replaced. makes a hum when driving on the highway. Also, i have that "crunch" sound when driving over speedbumps in cold weather. Hope it's an easy fix ( bushing issue i think)
#porschebethesda

Am driving a loaner cayenne right now. really nice suv. like how the car controls are so similar. you get out of one into the other and it has a strong family feel. but still prefer the ride and handling of my panny. can't wait to get it back!
Old 04-05-2018, 05:36 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My Pan was in last week for a GPS antenna that never showed up. In the end I told them to put it back together and call me when they physically have it their hand, because I wanted out of the loan Diesel Cayenne and wanted mine back.
Really didn't like it, felt a bit dated inside and steering felt to light.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:47 PM
freeflap
Intermediate

so, have an issue. porsche bethesda replaced the bearing: noise is gone Yay! However, the abs / psm alarm lights up and the speed sensor says the wheel is not turning at same speed as other wheels. They have ordered another bearing. i think it may be this issue:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...placement.html

#porschebethesda
since this is a rare issue service manager said they don't see many of this problem.
i would assume they know to install the bearing with the red side out, but the box has NO instructions. so maybe an easy fix to remove the bearing and turn it RED side out?
hope it is. i called the service manager and hope to hear back soon.

am missing my panamera!!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

Well, it's been about 2 weeks. still having the same problem. When i start the car, no issues. About 10 min later, psm/abs/chassis/ all light up. transmission hunts for gears. Stop the engine. restart. all lights disappear. It happens most every day. Still can't get a pattern. sometimes worse when it's warm outside. Last two days it happened on highway at about 65 mph.
tech has never seen this before. He put a call up to "ptech" to see if corporate has seen this issue. He thinks i might need another bearing. If the original spec 2011 bearing was manufactured slightly diferently or from a different oem supplier, might be an issue.
Anyone else have this problem? Before the bearing was replaced, it had none of these problems.
dealer has been great with communication and trying to get this resolved. Hope it will be soon.
#porschebethesda

interestingly, i hooked up my obd2 port reader to see the codes, yet, it reads "NO ERRORS" when the dashboard is lit up all yellow with warning lights?? might be an issue wit torx app on my phone not being able to read all the porsche specific codes.

online, i see a bunch of panameras with similar issues regarding psm/abs/chassis errors, but not from the same cause. seems like this is pretty rare.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:22 PM
freeflap
Intermediate

UPDATE:
PTT still at the dealer! First they tried new bearing. then had the suspension compressor die. That's fixed. Next, they put a new sensor in. STILL giving a fault code!!! Now will replace the rear suspension bearing frame. Dealer has been great and taking care of this. They are determined to get the car working right, which I really appreciate.

#porschebethesda has been great to deal with despite this long drawn out dilemma. Can't wait to get my car back. I'm guessing not till next week at this point.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:11 AM
CPanamera4s
AutoX

Sounds horrible ! I hope you get your car back soon. I'd hate to have my car in the shop for so long. I also had the front end crunch noise and was fixed. Now I have a squeaking noise when I got over a bump .it keeps getting louder. I tend to want to start working on the car myself as the car is already out of warranty and there's nothing like working on the car yourself .

good luck !!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:01 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

Thx. I received some good news yesterday. They replaced the entire rear bearing hub carrier? frame? not sure the name of the parts. So far, no error codes. They did two test runs with on board computer and so far, all numbers look good. They are going to run another test today before giving me the green light. Hope this is the end of the problem.
Even though it has been almost a month, #porschebethesda has been great to work with. Excellent dealer. A lot of dealers would not go through the time and expense of getting this right for a customer.

Hope to get my car back today. Praying it's finally fixed!!!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 AM
freeflap
Intermediate

well, i got the ptt back last thursday. so far so good!! no issues. no lights. Hopeful that the problem has a permanent solution!
back to enjoying the car.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM
RawPilot
1st Gear

Hello all,
I am a Porsche imposter visiting from the VW Phaeton forum. I understand our cars have a similar suspension setup, so please could you tell me exactly which bush was changed to fix the 'crunch' sound as Phaeton owners are suffering the same problem but we have been unable to find the source of the problem.
Thanks very much.
Robbie.

Quick Reply: wheel bearing front end crunch noise