Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Turbo Poor Showing C&D April

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:30 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Panamera Turbo Poor Showing C&D April

Just finished reading the "Power Drunk" article in the April Car and Driver magazine. Shoot out review comparing the Mercedes AMG E63 S; the BMW M5; the Cadillac CTS-V; and the Porsche Panamera Turbo. Panamera finished fourth by a wide margin. They liked the cornering and the ride but they didn't like the four wheel steering at all or the ergonomics and especially the high price. Insulting that the Cadillac (third place finisher) beat the Panamera by 18 points (197 to 179, 14 of which were driven by price differential) despite having an outdated interior resembling a "Chevrolet". Article is fairly negative on the Panamera.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:02 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

The caddy is a midsize car that should go up against the M3 due to the size. I am surprised they didn’t complain about the Benz slow channel surfing or lag. I don’t care how good that car is with that slow computer I would sell it immediately before i smash it.

Obviously they didn’t spend much time with the car. RWS is worth getting for the ease of parking. I would not get sport seats since comfort is a priority.I would consider trading for the M5 due to the awesome I drive. It’s a shame since I liked my 17 Macan and 18 gt3 interface better.porsche needs to add scroll buttons! With this group of cars the ride and noise is important.

The e class feels cheap. I hate that big screen with that cheap plastic on top. If the M5 drives and rides as well as the panny this is a serious contender as well as if they make a e63 wagon if rides well. Most amg rides terrible and harsh. Maybe benz will update and throw some money toward an active suspension.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I went through some mental gymnastics when I decided on the Sport Turismo Turbo...and in the end its subjective. I have had an M5 I my life, and an M6 etc, I am clear the AMG is better value. but for me the ST just feels very special. Whisper quiet when not caned, ( extra insulated glass), plenty quick, generally a very civilized car to drive. Its not like my RS nor is it meant to be.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
I went through some mental gymnastics when I decided on the Sport Turismo Turbo...and in the end its subjective. I have had an M5 I my life, and an M6 etc, I am clear the AMG is better value. but for me the ST just feels very special. Whisper quiet when not caned, ( extra insulated glass), plenty quick, generally a very civilized car to drive. Its not like my RS nor is it meant to be.

I was just very surprised at the negative tone of the review, especially their comments regarding the 4 wheel steering. They claimed it made the car feel numb.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:50 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I read the article, and it is clear that the reviewer (or group of reviewers) who wrote it did not care for the Porsche, and that is OK, they are entitled to their opinion. It seems to me, however, that the Panamera was out of its element in this comparison. The Panamera's competition, in price as well as character, are normally taken to be the S-Class and the 7-Series, not the 5-Series nor the E-Class (or the CTS) and particularly not the "hot rod" versions of each. Totally different driving experiences, and if you prefer the one, then you are probably not going to care for the other. Obviously, the price of the Porsche and its lack of content as specified did not help.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fgv1it
I read the article, and it is clear that the reviewer (or group of reviewers) who wrote it did not care for the Porsche, and that is OK, they are entitled to their opinion. It seems to me, however, that the Panamera was out of its element in this comparison. The Panamera's competition, in price as well as character, are normally taken to be the S-Class and the 7-Series, not the 5-Series nor the E-Class (or the CTS) and particularly not the "hot rod" versions of each. Totally different driving experiences, and if you prefer the one, then you are probably not going to care for the other. Obviously, the price of the Porsche and its lack of content as specified did not help.
This post is spot on.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:38 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed with above and I actually think they mismatched cars. The 971 should be compared with the S-Class, perhaps 650 grancoupe, the new CLS, and maybe even the A7. Completely different car from the Cadillac and a 5 series or E63.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

True the panny is in a different class but I'm sure Car and Driver is basing it on size of the car since the 5 series and e class has grown to full size sedan and full size sedans even larger. For example the A8 only comes in L version and we cannot even get the short wheel base benz s-class here. I'm not going to defend the Porsche's price because I'm paying Porsche tax myself because I love the sporty drive with super comfort. My largest complaint with the new panny is the 8 speed seems crappy. The 7 speed Pdk on my macan GTS is way faster and feels more Porsche. This 8 speed just feels slow and Auto like which I hate.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they don't understand the 971 either.
The 971 is not at heart a Porsche. The chassis is all Audi derived and the engine is all Volkswagen derived. The only things that are Porsche are the transmission , body shape design and interior appointments. I think Porsche has had to take a financial hit due to deisel gate issues. They merely recycled the Sport Tourismo body design in sedan form and added VW and Audi running gear. In fact, none of the 971 is made in Zuffenhausen. At least on the 970 the engines were made there.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:57 AM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
I think they don't understand the 971 either.
The 971 is not at heart a Porsche. The chassis is all Audi derived and the engine is all Volkswagen derived. The only things that are Porsche are the transmission , body shape design and interior appointments. I think Porsche has had to take a financial hit due to deisel gate issues. They merely recycled the Sport Tourismo body design in sedan form and added VW and Audi running gear. In fact, none of the 971 is made in Zuffenhausen. At least on the 970 the engines were made there.
Not quite. Porsche had the lead responsibility for developing the MSB platform. That pissed Audi off quite a bit, so much so they eventually refused to put the brand new Audi A8 on the MSB platform and instead decided to use it’s home grown MLB architecture.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:07 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the other hand, the 2018 Panamera 4S made a strong contender for Automobile's All Star issue. Such glowing phrases like "How a vehicle this large and luxurious has such lively steering, such exquisitely communicated balance, and the undeniable soul of the 911s it is bred from remains astonishing".....and "All in all, the Panamera 4S continues to be a benchmark for large sedan handling and performance".

(BTW, the 2017 911 GTS was one of the eight All Stars)

Quick Reply: Panamera Turbo Poor Showing C&D April