Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2012 panamera 970 PDK issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope they step up as well. This is something that I’ve never heard of. I want to own and buy more in the future. I want to see a 911 in my future��
Old 03-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm confused

Originally Posted by cerbomark
BTW, all my Porsche s have been CPO cars. When the warranties run out I trade it in. But in six years of these two Porsches I have only had one dealer trip for a failed rear spoiler on the 911. $1300 but covered. So they are reliable and both mine have been under a few thousand miles when I acquired them.
You have said both of your cars had CPO Warranties, and when they expired they were traded. You also said you would not own one without a warranty. You continue with the opinion that they are reliable. This is where I get confused. Reliable to me means after 4 to 6 years with little need of repairs the vehicle is reliable. Since you only own for warranty periods or less, you can only claim they are reliable when in warranty. A Toyota or Honda or Ford or Chevy, or any vehicle that runs up over 100K miles with few repairs is reliable.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:56 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Twodan
You have said both of your cars had CPO Warranties, and when they expired they were traded. You also said you would not own one without a warranty. You continue with the opinion that they are reliable. This is where I get confused. Reliable to me means after 4 to 6 years with little need of repairs the vehicle is reliable. Since you only own for warranty periods or less, you can only claim they are reliable when in warranty. A Toyota or Honda or Ford or Chevy, or any vehicle that runs up over 100K miles with few repairs is reliable.
Correct, they are reliable in the time frame I ve owned them. I can t say what 100K would bring and that s why my opinion is dead set on having a warranty at that time for sure. The high cost to repair when something does fail is why I recommend the warranty even on a newer one. So I agree with your statement and it makes sense to me.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:16 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 4eyedsteve
Thanks for advice on looking at the suspension failures. I’ll definitly look into the Fadelity Warranty. I’ve been told they’re very good to deal with. Hopefully I can get this fix. The car is a great car. Very enjoyable to drive. I just hate the fact that I have this failure at a very early point of my ownership of this car.
I likewise bought a pre-owned Panamera less than 3 years old but with over 80k miles on it, so got it pretty cheap; I got the full CPO warranty to six years, unlimited miles. I'd never have a Porsche outside of Porsche certified warranty. So far, I've only had a problem with a faulty air conditioner, covered under the warranty. With a 2012 Panamera, I guess the full original warranty was expired when you got it.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:57 AM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

Default I think I may have a fix

Ok.
On Thursday I picked up my Panny 4 and taken it to a reputable Euro Shop in Rockville Maryland.
I gave him the codes that the Porsche Dealer had given me. He said I know what the problem is; let’s try 3 things he says. He also scanned the codes himself with his Porsche specific scanner and received the same comes.

#1. First he cleared all the codes to see if the car would go back in gear and drive off and he would charge me nothing. That didn’t work... the codes for the trans came back up.

#2. Then he explains to me that this is a common problem on the All Wheel Drive Porsche. Theirs a motor that sometimes sticks or breaks that sits on the Transfer Case behind the Transmission.
He would have to take off that motor, reach inside the transfer case with a screwdriver to move the chain; that chain connects to the front wheels and back wheels of the car and the gears inside the transmission. He said once that chain moves the gears in the Transmission will not be stuck together anymore. He says he knows this because if the transmission or the transfer case was broken it would make a loud clunking noise and the car isn’t making any noise at all. When you put it in Reverse the car display screen isn’t showing anything. You put it in Drive the screen shows 2 and the car moves a bit like it wants to move but it is stuck in between gears. That’s when he knew what the problem was.

#3. The motor on the Transfer Case maybe broken and can’t receive information or tell the front wheels or back wheels to go anywhere. So that may need to be replace. That motor is $1,200 brand new but he has a used one that may work.

He said that he is 99% sure that this is the issue. The transmission is fine

I haven’t heard from him yet. I will contact him on Monday and I’ll be sure to let you guys know.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:53 AM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow, I hope he's right, that would be very good news.

I'm curious, when you picked it up from the dealer was it driveable or did you have it towed?
Old 04-01-2018, 08:14 PM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

The car was in the same condition when I picked it up as the the same day that I dropped it off March 7, 2018. It was unable to go in gear. I had it towed to the shop. I am going to contact them on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:03 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck, hope it can be something that , er..... less expensive. I just picked up my 2012 P4 a week ago, and my P0455 CEL is several orders of magnitude below this. Man, do't know what I'd do if that happened to me!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:23 PM
xxg00w0
1st Gear

So do you have any update on your car? this is not what I wanted to see as this is the first post I've read in this forum. planning on getting a Pana myself..
Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 PM
4eyedsteve
AutoX

Sorry for not updating like I should. As of yesterday 16 April 2018 the Mechanic/Owner called me up and said the the main shaft in the trans was broken. Not sure it happen, but it was broken. He ordered a used one yesterday and should be here on the 18 April 2018 and in the car and calibrated by the 20 April 2018. Once again I’m sorry for the late reply, but I am very upset at this outcome. I tell you what, if you decide to purchase any Porsche please purchase a warranty that covers mechanical and electrical parts. After doing further research myself PDK Transmissions are faulty. They are not bulletproof. The owner has quite a few connection in Germany and they said it is common.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:55 AM
Albarq
AutoX

I have same car same model, I got almost same behavior, but my car sometimes when switch off engine, and switch on again ... it works fine .. any suggestion?
Old 08-17-2018, 05:59 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

No car is bullet proof, particularly when you're talking about performance cars. The PDK is in a LOT of cars, and Porsche still has one of the highest reliability ratings of any manufacturer in the world. This doesn't make your situation any less frustrating. Every person on this board fears these sorts of things. Every performance car owner fears these sorts of things. Every car guy FEARS these sort of problems. I had some major issues with cars when I was young, but have been lucky with no blow transmissions or motors for quite a while. Its always a risk. The more expensive the car is, the bigger the fear can get. The more you stretch out your budget, the more scary repairs on an expensive car can be. I'm guilty of making that mistake a lot to drive the car that I want to! I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I don't believe for one second that the PDK is considered an unreliable transmission, but certainly nothing is really bulletproof...... Of course you're going to read online about issues, and find a few, because the thousands of PDK owners out there are not going to post about how great and flawless their PDK is. The 5 out of 5000 that blow their transmission are going to post about it, because it sucks and its frustrating.

Report back after everything is fixed, how much you paid and if everything drives the way its supposed to now. At least we are hearing there are some options, and shops with the proper knowledge to avoid having to buy a $15,000 transmission. At that point you're better off letting your car get stolen... shesh.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM
FadaJ
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 4eyedsteve
I’m here to see if anyone has had any failures with the PDK and it seems like there aren’t a lot of them if any. I know it’s a little to late for advice on purchasing the car, but I thought I was making a wise decision. I’ve look at aftermarket warranties, but decided to wait a few months due to the fact that I haven’t been to work in over three months because of an illness I’m dealing with.
Steve I live in Bowie as well I am experiencing the same issue right now
Old 06-20-2019, 01:49 PM
FadaJ
5th Gear

What was the name of the shop in rockville that you took it to?
Old 06-22-2019, 12:53 AM
rx7ven
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a similar issue. paid 12k at the dealership for a new transmission to be put in.

Quick Reply: 2012 panamera 970 PDK issues