Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

First time buyer - need advice

Old 02-23-2018, 07:03 PM
sohel83
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First time buyer - need advice

I've been reading up on the Porsche Panameras recently.

I'd like to stay below the $40k price range, so I've been looking at 2010-2012

I've test driven several (base, S, and turbo)

I've found a few base and S models ranging from 32k miles to 50k miles
I've found a turbo (fully loaded) at 82k miles

Several questions --
1. the car is out of factory warranty, so I would probably want to buy an extended warranty -- how much do these typically cost?
2. Some of these cars don't come up with a back-up camera -- how hard/how much is it to install this from aftermarket? I saw one here for $800, but I have no idea on installation costs: https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-camera-system
3. How reliable are these cars? If I decide to get the turbo @ 82k miles, how much maintenance am I looking at?

Thanks,
Sohel
Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey Sohel,

I'm also looking and learning as I hope to get something in the mid 40's in a couple years (shooting for a CPO), from the reading I've done here it seems they can be hit or miss on the reliability department, I personally would go for the one with the most documentation on the services which also has the fewest non-routine maintenance trips to the shop.

I'd be real interested to hear what you went with and your experiences

-Doug
Old 02-23-2018, 07:38 PM
sohel83
3rd Gear

i'm also having a hard time finding a place online that offers extended warranties for a Porsche. What are other folks using?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 AM
sohel83
3rd Gear

Hey Doug, did some more research and these two videos were very helpful

It sounds like the V8 had some issues and that’s why Porsche switched to twin turbo V6 on later models, so may be better to stary away from early S models

i got a quote from Endurance for a warranty — looking at 6-7k. Better coverage for the low mileage cars.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:35 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by sohel83

https://youtu.be/EPe_EkluHY0
https://youtu.be/3giueysuXdU

It sounds like the V8 had some issues and that’s why Porsche switched to twin turbo V6 on later models, so may be better to stary away from early S models

i got a quote from Endurance for a warranty — looking at 6-7k. Better coverage for the low mileage cars.

There is a recall for the cam adjuster bolts so you are covered there. Not sure about the coolant tubes but by 2013 these issues had been addressed. The switch to the v6 was to increase fuel efficiency. The air suspension will eventually need attention and it’s not cheap but you can stick with the steel suspension on the v8 S models. The GTS and turbo used only the air suspension. Get a PPI as a priority. Some early issues but they are pretty solid cars. I’ve had two of the 970 models.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:25 PM
aquatone
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

I have just purchased a 2012 Panamera Turbo S at 66,000 miles, only one owner, (known to the dealer) a clean Carfax report, no red flags and regularly maintained with no visits out of schedule. It has also just been inspected and test driven by the local Porsche dealer, the recalls like AH08 (cam adjuster bolts) taken care of and it has brand new Michelin tires and brake pads. I also have an independent Porsche mechanic in my town who has worked on Panamera's for future servicing/repairs at lower cost.

I am also researching warranties and have been quoted the following:

- $5,182 for a 12 month/12,000 mile Gold Plus warranty that covers everything including the air suspension.
- $6,909 for a 24 month/24,000 mile Gold warranty that covers most things but NOT the air suspension.
- $7,672 for a 48 month/48 ,000 mile Power Train only.

Looking for additional sources of warranties if anyone can suggest them. Seems that a figure in the $7K range is what I would be looking at. On the other hand I could bank the above or put aside up to $10,000 on the assumption I may need to spend that amount, but I may not. I intend to drive the car for 1-2 years before purchasing a newer model so my risk window at 15,000 miles a year is really between 66,000 and 96,000 miles.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=sohel83;14825696]

/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing Sohel, I had seen the first one but not the second
Old 02-24-2018, 07:27 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

aquatone, congrats on the beast ;-)
With what you've told us, I would be inclined to just tuck away the $10k

I've pretty much decided that I'm either getting a CPO or going thru CarMax and getting one of their service contracts, just haven't heard a lot of good things about most 3rd party service contracts.

I hope to hear more from those that have them and have used them...
Old 02-25-2018, 09:03 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

sohel83, what area are you in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time buyer - need advice