Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 02:53 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

Read the last line on this screenshot of standard equipment for a Executive Hybrid. Why in the world would they write thermal-insulated glass all around as standard, when there is a $1250 option that says the same thing?

Old 05-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sam, Good question. I believe the main difference is that the option is an upgrade with dual-pane glass with a tint layer between. The heavier glass helps with the noise and the thermal affects of the sun and cold. Here are a few cut and paste lines I found online:

"As standard, all models are equipped with tinted thermally insulated glass.
Optional: thermally and noise insulated laminated glass for all round more efficient reflection of infrared radiation. Enjoy an even more pleasant climate and peace and quiet in the passenger compartment."

"From what I understand, the Porsche Insulating glass is a heavier dual-pane with a tint layer in between. It does provide additional noise damping. Whether or not it makes much difference to you depends on where you drive/road quality/external noise. The insulating glass will not dampen the engine noise from the vehicle itself. Also, the windshield remains the same, and Porsche does not tint the windshield. "

So, in conclusion, as I understand it, the standard equipment offers some degree of tint which will in return deliver some degree of thermal insulation. The upgrade option offers the dual-pane with heavier tint which would therefore deliver more thermal and noise isolation (and a heavier door). I had the dual-pane glass on a MB S Class years ago and I must say I missed it on my next car without it.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Sam, Good question. I believe the main difference is that the option is an upgrade with dual-pane glass with a tint layer between. The heavier glass helps with the noise and the thermal affects of the sun and cold. Here are a few cut and paste lines I found online:

"As standard, all models are equipped with tinted thermally insulated glass.
Optional: thermally and noise insulated laminated glass for all round more efficient reflection of infrared radiation. Enjoy an even more pleasant climate and peace and quiet in the passenger compartment."

"From what I understand, the Porsche Insulating glass is a heavier dual-pane with a tint layer in between. It does provide additional noise damping. Whether or not it makes much difference to you depends on where you drive/road quality/external noise. The insulating glass will not dampen the engine noise from the vehicle itself. Also, the windshield remains the same, and Porsche does not tint the windshield. "

So, in conclusion, as I understand it, the standard equipment offers some degree of tint which will in return deliver some degree of thermal insulation. The upgrade option offers the dual-pane with heavier tint which would therefore deliver more thermal and noise isolation (and a heavier door). I had the dual-pane glass on a MB S Class years ago and I must say I missed it on my next car without it.
Don't wish to hang on every word but reason why I'm not ordering this option is because I do NOT want to dampen the engine noise. You say it will NOT. That seems very counter-intuitive to me... Do you have anything more to go on? Sincere thanks,
-WT
Old 05-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Will Tell
Don't wish to hang on every word but reason why I'm not ordering this option is because I do NOT want to dampen the engine noise. You say it will NOT. That seems very counter-intuitive to me... Do you have anything more to go on? Sincere thanks,
-WT
WT, Sorry for the misunderstanding. The middle two lines in my reply were quotes from descriptions/reviews I read online. I just cut and pasted them. I agree, not sure why it would not dampen the engine noise, so I would take what the second quote says with a grain of salt. Hope this helps. And, BTW, I enjoy the humor and quips you write in your posts. Always a fun read. TJ
Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 AM
ftrengineer82
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to start a new thread related to the Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass option. At first, While specifying my 4 E-Hybrid Executive, I was interested in this option as I felt it would help significantly with fuel consumption by keeping the car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Also, it would help with making an already quiet car even more quiet. I am getting the Burmester Sound System and this extra tranquility may benefit this grand sound.
My dilemma is that I have read several places that this glass will affect cellular reception and possibly the use of Toll Paying transmitters (EZ-Pass). Can anyone with this option shed some perspective on how this glass affects them? I believe with all my reading that ajriches01 and Yoeris both have the thermally and noise isolating glass. Do you have any problems? I would appreciate feedback both good and bad with this option. Thanks in advance.
Have had my 2018 Panamera for about a month. I was very concerned that the EZ-Pass wouldn't work with the thermal/noise insulated glass and I would need to roll my windows down like many Tesla owners. Happy to report that it works flawlessly. There are clear "cutouts" on the right and left sides of the mirror, and I have gone through the Chicago Skyway many times without issue. Those who ordered the glass will be very pleased. I can also confirm that cell reception is great, and I use T-Mobile.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I ordered it on my Panamera as well. What can you say about the difference between the thermal and noise insulated glass versus the normal glass? Quieter? Does it keep the cabin cooler even if it’s parked outside in the sun?
Old 07-16-2018, 10:34 AM
ftrengineer82
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssiminou
I ordered it on my Panamera as well. What can you say about the difference between the thermal and noise insulated glass versus the normal glass? Quieter? Does it keep the cabin cooler even if it’s parked outside in the sun?
Noticeably quieter. Felt that it helped with temperature vs. normal glass, but tinting is still required imho.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Jmiran
Intermediate

Hi- I’m in the process of doing my Panamera build and had this box checked. I’m curious to know how much of a tint this provides. Does it really darken the windows or is it very subtle? I can’t find any cars in local inventory with this option so I haven’t been able to witness it in person. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:15 PM
Tmoose
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It adds a slight hinge of tint. Definitely doesn’t make it look tinted. It’s just a reflective layer. It’s great especially if you make calls in the car and / or get the Burmester - turns the cabin into a sound studio.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Jmiran
Intermediate

Great. I was hoping for something more subtle. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Jmiran. It is subtle, but does a great job of minimizing the suns glare and heat. It does make the ride more quiet, and with the Burmester system it makes driving so pleasant. I had clicked and unclicked this option several times when specking my car, but have NO regrets getting it. Good luck and look forward to what you end up with.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:52 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided to start a new thread related to the Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass option. At first, While specifying my 4 E-Hybrid Executive, I was interested in this option.
yes, I do have this option in my CPO 2018 4s, very quiet. I like it and less heat inside. The down side, I can't hear my muffler sound when i step on it. The sad thing I have sport package with exshault, i don't understand why the leaser selects the sport exshault. if you order 4s make sure you dont select sport exshault. LOL ...
Old 07-23-2019, 04:24 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougpan4
yes, I do have this option in my CPO 2018 4s, very quiet. I like it and less heat inside. The down side, I can't hear my muffler sound when i step on it. The sad thing I have sport package with exshault, i don't understand why the leaser selects the sport exshault. if you order 4s make sure you dont select sport exshault. LOL ...
I did NOT order my P Turbo with the glass for the very reason that I wanted to hear the engine. As much as I try I cannot fathom driving a super car without hearing it. No, I don't want to be assaulted by the noise a la Lamborghini, etc., but I do want to hear some of the burps and burbles. As for saving money from the use of less A/C... LOL. BTW, when I ordered my new E-ZPass the default option was something that goes around the license plate. Not having seen it I ordered the window module but, FYI, it seems that that's now the standard. Enjoy. It's a staggeringly good machine!
Old 07-23-2019, 08:53 PM
Jmiran
Intermediate

I placed my order last week and decided to include this option. As I picked an ehybrid, the exhaust note was a secondary concern. This will be my first Porsche after many years driving a Range Rover which was great until it wasn’t. Looking forward to driving something that doesn’t feel big and ponderous. I drove many models of sedans across several brands and the Panamera was clearly the best at combining sport and luxury. Of course all of you with Panameras already know that
The following users liked this post:
pokingaround (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:56 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Tell
I did NOT order my P Turbo with the glass for the very reason that I wanted to hear the engine. As much as I try I cannot fathom driving a super car without hearing it. No, I don't want to be assaulted by the noise a la Lamborghini, etc., but I do want to hear some of the burps and burbles. As for saving money from the use of less A/C... LOL. BTW, when I ordered my new E-ZPass the default option was something that goes around the license plate. Not having seen it I ordered the window module but, FYI, it seems that that's now the standard. Enjoy. It's a staggeringly good machine!
WOW thanks for the heads up! I just called EZ Pass (NYS) for this because I've been having a terrible time with intermittent reads of the interior transponder no matter where I put it - including in the spot where you're supposed to according to Porsche. Wife has the same issue in her LR Discovery - intermittent reads even when in the specified spot. They actually asked what kind of cars we had as apparently they will not just send the exterior transponder unless you have one of the cars on their list. Anyway, two coming our way, should be here in 5-7 business days. I'll report back with photos...

Quick Reply: Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass