Panamera 2010-Current

2017 971 4S - Intake Sound & post PDK Firmware update Issues

Old 02-03-2018, 03:26 PM
killsbugsfast_ch
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 971 4S - Intake Sound & post PDK Firmware update Issues

Hello
anybody else experiencing weird sound from the engine (intake ?) between 1000-2000 RPM under acceleration and idle?
I took it to the service, they recorded and sent the sound to Porsche itself (Porsche Switzerland) and the response was that it is normal. It started around 3000 KM (car is at 5000KM now) and it got worse after the service. It sounds like the intake (or turbo? or both?) has something stuck.

While at the service, they also upgraded the PDK software, which didn't do anything positive, in fact it took away the pops&crackles under sports mode (I have chrono package + sports exhaust) and made everything much worse. The car feels like my grandma is driving a manual car, feels like clutch is pressed way too long during shifts, car jerks around at each shift and for example at around 50KM (city speed limit in Switzerland) it keeps shifting up & down as I fluctuate between 48 and 52.

I have driven and owned lots of other cars in the past (some more expensive some cheaper), some from Porsche ('15 Macan Turbo, '16 Cayenne GTS, '16 Cayenne Hybrid, '17 Carrera 4S - all with PDK), but never had these issues.
I'm wondering whether I have a lemon in my hands or if these are really common amongst all 4S with PDK? I've also requested a test drive with another 4S to compare. Based on this I'm planning to pursue a car swap or full refund as each service visit makes the car worse (like in Nick Murray's case)

thanks
Old 02-04-2018, 04:52 PM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by killsbugsfast_ch
Hello
anybody else experiencing weird sound from the engine (intake ?) between 1000-2000 RPM under acceleration and idle?
I took it to the service, they recorded and sent the sound to Porsche itself (Porsche Switzerland) and the response was that it is normal. It started around 3000 KM (car is at 5000KM now) and it got worse after the service. It sounds like the intake (or turbo? or both?) has something stuck.

While at the service, they also upgraded the PDK software, which didn't do anything positive, in fact it took away the pops&crackles under sports mode (I have chrono package + sports exhaust) and made everything much worse. The car feels like my grandma is driving a manual car, feels like clutch is pressed way too long during shifts, car jerks around at each shift and for example at around 50KM (city speed limit in Switzerland) it keeps shifting up & down as I fluctuate between 48 and 52.

I have driven and owned lots of other cars in the past (some more expensive some cheaper), some from Porsche ('15 Macan Turbo, '16 Cayenne GTS, '16 Cayenne Hybrid, '17 Carrera 4S - all with PDK), but never had these issues.
I'm wondering whether I have a lemon in my hands or if these are really common amongst all 4S with PDK? I've also requested a test drive with another 4S to compare. Based on this I'm planning to pursue a car swap or full refund as each service visit makes the car worse (like in Nick Murray's case)

thanks
Yes, I saw a Nick Murray's video on youtube about his 911. It is an unacceptable for your new P4S. I feel you pain and frustration. Please update us what you find out with Porsche. I was thinking about 2017 PAN4S. I am ordering Tesla S 75D now.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:16 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by killsbugsfast_ch
Hello

thanks
do you have a video of how it sounds? I have a 4s and it makes weird sounds sometimes too but not sure whether we are talking about the same sound.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:02 AM
porshuh
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes my P4s does that weird noise from 2000-4000 rpm, which i supposed to be the turbo spooling noise, then there's a loud chirping noise when the car upshift following the "turbo spool noise". Took the car to dealer and have them look at it as well as the slow transmission shifting.
They loaned me a macan S which has the old 7sp PDK. It was smooth and shiftings are instant both upshifting and downshifting even from 2nd gear to 1st gear.
Dealer stated the car is "normal" as they took their showroom P4s for a test drive and found both car to bahave similarly. Extremely disappointed as the new 8 sp PDK is jerky and slower than the old 7sp and my Ftype ZF 8sp auto.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 PM
Donfenn
AutoX

I have unpleasant noises too.. They are not loud, but they really bother me!

I have a new 2017 base engine car, with what I would best describe as a whirring, soft-diesel sound at about 1800-2500 rpms... It comes from behind the firewall or instrument cluster.. I took it in to dealer twice, and the second time the dealer kept the car for a week and was investigating the issue with the zone Porsche Tech rep... They first tried to give me the car back after the second day with no diagnosis, but I told them I would not accept it.. They could hear the sounds and agreed to go back to Porsche on my behalf, but they finally came back with the response that the noise is a characteristic of the fuel delivery system... Not sure if that means the injectors --or the system feeding the fuel injectors...

I am very unhappy with this.. I am looking for others with same complaint. I am going to escalate this if they do not come up with a better response. A bigger group of folks complaining about the same issue will help us to get their attention,

FWIW, this is my fourth Panamera, so I am not a crazy newbie.. The new car is an improvement in many ways, but these noises are really bothering me!
Old 05-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Donfenn
AutoX

I met with Porsche tech rep who spent some time with me. We drove my car and a few other new Panameras.. They all have some form of this ticking or clicking sound, which is apparently the high pressure fuel delivery and injection system.. After much time and effort they basically are saying it is the nature of the car.. Sad excuse from Porsche.. I am disgusted with my car and Porsche.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:45 PM
beechpilot
5th Gear

I have a 2018 971 4S and don't have any of the OP issues. I took a 2017 Turbo for a test drive and HATED the PDK shifting and turbo lag. However, my '18 shifts great, very similar to my '14 Macan Turbo if not a bit sportier.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:30 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I am disgusted with my car and Porsche"

If it's the same noise I occasionally notice I am surprised how much this winds people up - it's at the edge of the audible spectrum and not noticeable with any talking/music/road noise/loud chewing. That said, I know what it's like when you notice something not quite right though, it eats away at you (I made them change my clock - wow they are all sh*t!). Hopefully you can find peace in due course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 971 4S - Intake Sound & post PDK Firmware update Issues